Bowfreak 07-Apr-15
jtelarkin08 09-Apr-15
Brotsky 09-Apr-15
midwest 09-Apr-15
jtek 09-Apr-15
Paul@thefort 09-Apr-15
hunter2121 09-Apr-15
07-Apr-15
When are you guys drawing your bow when a turkey is out front with the decoys? Do you wait till he is turned or draw anytime. I will be wearing all black with face paint.

07-Apr-15
You can draw whenever you want. You can get away with any kind of movement in the newer blinds that are out there. Be more concerned with noise when birds are in close. Jmo

07-Apr-15
I'm sure its overkill, but I get my chair out of the way when I see birds. I duck below where the bird can see to draw and slowly rise up ready to shoot. Better safe than sorry! That said, I've never had a bird see me in the blind at all. Also, I've shot only a fraction of the birds some on this site have

07-Apr-15
If you are wearing black (and probably even if you aren't), they cant see you unless you happen to silhouette yourself in front of an open window behind you. Draw whenever you want to.

07-Apr-15
Birds will see you in a blind, if you're not cautious. I am obsessive about blocking out every shred of light w/the exception of my one, open shooting port. If light is penetrating from behind the shooter your movement will get you busted! I've gotten "popped" more than I care to remember. Also, be very careful about "sneaking a peak" w/your face up to the window. You may just get caught staring eye to eye w/a silently approaching longbeard.

07-Apr-15
Very easy to draw pretty mich anytime as long as you follow limbhangers words.

07-Apr-15
Draw whenever you like, especially if you're using good decoys and the bird is committed. Limbhanger had some good advice above. Just make sure you keep a dark background and stay back from the open window and you can get away with murder. If the bird is committed to your decoy set-up, especially when using a good jake decoy, his attention is 100% focused on the decoy. I know we've had situations where we've switched spots in the blind, tipped over chairs, and other bloopers and they don't even come out of strut. Using quality decoys once they get into the "crcle of trust" as I like to call it, they become the dumbest bird on the planet.

07-Apr-15
Agree with limb. I'll often wait until they are on the Deeks, turn their fan etc. The Matrix or Rhino type blinds are much worse and Thats why I prefer the T5 or port-type windows. Biggest birds I've killed have seen me at last second. Often its the white guard on my black gold sight. Like a white tea cup floating in the window. LOL. Usually too late by then....:)

07-Apr-15
You sure can get away with more in a blind ( a quality blind)however they too are not completely fool proof. Wearing black does help and not silhouetteing yourself is a good idea. More importantly is noise when you are drawing your bow. Many times your back elbow will contact the back of the blind or your chair / stool will creek during your drawing motion. Make sure you practice in your back yard with the complete set up before hand to try to eliminate these gremlins.

07-Apr-15
I'm with otcWill....I never shoot sitting in the chair. Always move it out of the way when I see birds and draw my bow off to the side or below the port hole then ease into the window. I feel less restricted on my knees and can move around if the bird starts walking away.

07-Apr-15
Thanks for the tips. I have only hunted out of a blind with my son and we leave the screens up. He is shotgunning. I am using the bullheads and the dakota extreme jake decoy. Our season opens in two weeks. Can't wait.

07-Apr-15
Hawkeye is spot on with the Matrix. The window openings allow too much light to come in. I have 2 black panels that I clip in place to seal off all of that unusable area of the Matrix (in the corners where you can't shoot). It cuts down on visibility but it also cuts down on boogered birds.

I would love to have a Matrix style blind with 2 or 3 vertical windows on the front and back. Along with the windows I want a simple black covering that hooks in place with a bungee and hook (like the little portal windows below the big window on the Matrix).

07-Apr-15
Bowfreak, the DB Darkhorse is pretty close to that set-up. You do still have the matrix style window on half the blind but not on the other half. Personally I feel it's a perfect set-up other than the fact it's a heavy mother to pack in and out compared to some others.

07-Apr-15
Thanks Brotsky....I will check it out. Are the windows on the Dark Horse up higher than the little people portals on my Matrix?

09-Apr-15
When double bulls came out they made turkeys looks stupid. Draw whenever just don't leave your back windows open

09-Apr-15
Bowfreak, I believe they have alternating heights, a couple normal and a couple for little people. One side has low windows and one side has slightly higher, and then the other two sides make up your matrix type window.

09-Apr-15
Wish they'd bring back the T5

09-Apr-15
I never EVER have gotten busted drawing my bow unless I am stupid about having windows behind not fully closed. Throw those heavy blinds on your golf hand cart and make the pull an easy one rather than a heavy carry. Love the dark horse and the double wide for bow turkeys.

09-Apr-15
yes, as OTCwill and midwest stated.

Just make sure your equipment is well organized within the blind so that there is no chance of it contacting the bow when being drawn. Also determine how far you have to be back in the blind. If the sun is in front, set back farther or draw the bow from the side of the window and then just move slowly into the window at full draw.

Practice getting off the folding chair and placing it in a good location, and you will be rewarded.

I have a Dark Horse and only shoot out the front and towards the decoys.

I have a stick in the ground bow holder, so the bow is upright with an arrow at ready. Paul

09-Apr-15
Like many have said, draw whenever, just make sure you dont stick the front of the arrow out of the blind.

• Sitka Gear