Aaron Johnson 11-Apr-15
Aaron Johnson 11-Apr-15
Aaron Johnson 11-Apr-15
bnt40 11-Apr-15
midwest 12-Apr-15
07-Apr-15

JTreeman's embedded Photo
So I was invited by another BS'er (yes meant both ways) to come out for a little public land turkey hunt. So of course as gracious guest I decided to invite another of our BS friends to come along. We mulled it over for several months and finally got it all together last weekend. We had Wednesday eve, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning. Then we all had to hightail it home for Easter plans. I came from Oklahoma, my buddy Aaron and his friend John are from Colorado, and Blane (BAKE) from the great state of Missouri. We all met up in SW Nebraska last Wednesday around mid day. Blane had already been after a few birds by the time we got there. But no shots.

Blane and I were out looking for birds and saw 3 jakes working a tree line, we were able to sneak in on them, and Blane was able to get a draw, but decided (wisely) they were just a bit out of range, and didn't want to stop.

--Jim

07-Apr-15
Sorry to hear it Jim. The turkey population was through the roof a few years ago but it dropped off and it has been a bit tough lately. That being said, I think you were here about 2 weeks too early. I hope you were treated well and hope you will consider a return in the future. PM me and I'll set you up with some folks that will give you a much better experience. Best, Smoke (Don)

07-Apr-15

Hopefully these guys will chime in, I can't carry it too far by myself.

We took a quick tour of the area, as Aaron was the only one who had ever paid eyes on the place he was the tour guide. We got the lay of the land and split up to try to roost some birds. We all found birds, and felt we had a decent chance the next morning. Blane and I sat together, and those guys each had seperate spots. Sure enough lots of gobbeling from the roost, and as day light came we could see a few in the trees not 150 yards behind us.

Blane and I had high hopes, and sure enough we saw them fly down into the field we were sitting on. The 3 Jakes saw our decoys and came running in. Blane offered me the first shot, and I decided I better not pass up a bird in the hand so to speak. It was pretty quick and I whacked the biggest bird. Blane had second shot, but the birds were spooked and a bit farther out and missed his chance.

--Jim

07-Apr-15
Oh too the contrary Dgb, had a great time, plenty of birds, I'm working through the story. But you are definately correct we were 2 weeks early, but hunting the public we were on we felt the early archery was a bit better bet than trying to compete with the scatter gun guys!

I'll shoot you a message.

--Jim

07-Apr-15
So I did get the "biggest" of the jakes, about 5" beard, not the smallest turkey I've ever shot! ;)

The Colorado boys had a good morning and saw birds, but just wouldn't work in real well. Blane and I tried to make a few moves on some birds we spotted from the road, but that didn't pan out. Long odds sometimes pay dividends though.

We met up for a mid day pow-wow, and Blane ran me to town for another tag. That was an experience in itself, gotta love small town out there. And I mean that in a sincere way, not to be snide at all.

We headed back out to try to find Blane a bird, and saw several in a spot we thought we could cut them off. We were not quick enough. They were coming over the hill when we were running 50 yards from out target set-up tree. Oh well..

--Jim

07-Apr-15
Wish I could have been there, Jim! But having killed my car the week before, it wasn't in the budget.

How'd you guys find this place ;)

07-Apr-15
Will, I think It was some mountain man Arron has a crush on over there in Colorado, but he was real hush hush about the whole thing ;)

Sorry you could'nt make it too, but I look forward to meeting you next week in AZ.

--Jim

07-Apr-15
LOL! Keep it com'n

07-Apr-15

Bake's MOBILE embedded Photo
Bake's MOBILE embedded Photo

After Jim got another tag, while driving around familiarizing ourselves further with the area, I made the greatest turkey stalk of all time :)

Well, maybe not the greatest, but probably the shortest. Some cedars grow in the most advantageous places :) Drew while kneeling, stood up behind a cedar, and let her fly. Resulted in a nice 2 year old

07-Apr-15
My first spring bow-kill. Take 'em how you get 'em!!

07-Apr-15
Congrats guys on the birds. Too bad we couldn't make our schedules mesh with yours. Nick and I were looking forward to meeting you all. Maybe we can all do it again another season? The next trip I am going to give the birds a chance and make midwest leave his bow at home. :)

07-Apr-15
Bake is being modest, he made a nice 15 yard stalk, and completed if with a great 40yd shot! Nice Tom, 9.5" beard.

Then we had to go back to town to get him more tags! Another adventure in inself!

First day and already 2 birds down!

--Jim

07-Apr-15
Bowfreak/Midwest, post up on here too, don't be shy. We can call you guys the B-team!

They were just west of us, for those following along, we talked a couple times, but just couldn't make a meet up work. It was Nebraska too, bring the pics guys.

--Jim

07-Apr-15
That evening Blane and I set up on a little alfalfa field on the north end of our area, OTCWill may know the spot ;).

We were just sitting in the blind staring at the decoys, well, we may have been having a bit more fun than that. And 3 jakes walked right up to our decoys, totally silent. Of course we were totally unprepared when I saw them 10 yards out coming from behind us! I think the laughter or swearing scared them back to where they came from. Saw them an hour or so later headed to roost.

That finished off our first day. I'll take a break and let Aaron or Bake put a little in the story if they get a few minutes this evening.

--Jim

07-Apr-15

Aaron Johnson's MOBILE embedded Photo
Aaron Johnson's MOBILE embedded Photo

First morning hens. Watched a tom and a jake both leave them like they had the plague.

07-Apr-15
Guys, Pat has put in a nice feature where you can turn your pics right side up ! You're puttin' a crick in my neck here, but carry on, I'm lovin' this story !

07-Apr-15
Besides the turkeys, hearing Aaron's rendition of OTCWill while lost in the fog. . . "You realize we could die tonight."

That was worth the whole trip :) :)

I'm sure it wasn't as funny while it happened :)

07-Apr-15
Oh, that story was awesome, Blane! I died laughing when he told me over the phone after it happened. Nice job guys! By the way, Will, how do you blow up a Prius?

07-Apr-15
I think it was a Lezbaru, not a Prius. Big differance!

--Jim

07-Apr-15

07-Apr-15
Congrats guys. Jim always looks so Serious??

08-Apr-15
Blane, I'll reassure you that it was not funny when it happened.

08-Apr-15
You guys are going for the throat talking about Will 's Subaru. He lost a loved one when it went down. :)

08-Apr-15
Sorry we missed you guys! I sure had a good time with Bowfreak, his daughter Riley, and, for a short hunt, otcWill.

Will's bad luck didn't end with the dead Subaru. We were up at the butt crack of dawn for our SF3BSU (Single Flock Triple Blind Set Up). I was loading up my truck when Will comes sauntering over...."I locked my key in my room."

me..."Damn, anything in there you need?"

Will..."Just my bow."

08-Apr-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Can't thank Will enough for all the info he shared with us and the prehunt leg work. It's little wonder why he is as successful as he is.

08-Apr-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Mark and daughter, 9 year old Riley, getting ready for another long hike in to the blind. This little girl definitely has the hunt in her! All the long miles, all the long hikes, all the long sits in the blind....never a complaint and always positive!

Kentucky critters beware!

08-Apr-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
The smallest Jake in Nebraska. :)

08-Apr-15

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
Nick, ya had to tell em I locked my bow in the room! LOL! All total, it cost me about a grand to hunt turkeys for a day and a half. Made some new friends though, so it was well worth it!

Here's the Only thing I killed. I never become attached to "things", but it broke my heart watching her go. Endless hunting memories with that lil car

It died only 35 minutes from our destination. Had to spend the night in the middle of nowhere before being towed back to Scottsbluff (1hr20min) to pick up a rental the next day.

08-Apr-15

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
Killer subaru died doing what she loved :)

08-Apr-15
I just read back and saw you SOB's making fun of our "near death" experience last summer! Definitely no laughing at the time. Sleet, snow, pooring rain, lightning, 20 miles give or take, no food or water over about 14 hours. Never been lost in my life before that.

That said, yes, it pretty funny now so laugh away :) I hope Aaron told the whole story including the dude who picked us up and dropped us off!? Thats the best part, but not for bowsite ;)

08-Apr-15

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Sorry for the laughing at the "near death" story :) :)

After the first day, Jim and I decided to head back and hunt the same small alfalfa field.

Since I have never bowhunted spring birds before (just a little scattergun experience), I had to follow Jim around like a puppy and use his decoys, John's blind, etc.

The same 3 jakes from the morning before made a short appearance, along with a single hen, but they were 80 yards away

08-Apr-15

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
The two previous late mornings, early afternoons, we had seen some birds on the same hilltop in the same general area.

We decided to make a late morning set there. Jim and I were sitting there, joking, laughing, trading hunting lies and exaggerations when a gobble danger close interrupted us.

4 jakes snuck in and were now a hair less than 10 yards from the blind.

I got on a knee, waited, and then drew as they came by the window. I don't know what bothered them, but they ran by at 30 yards and I could never get a good shot.

08-Apr-15
Will... The dude giving you guys a lift back and forth was the best part of the story! That was a gut buster! Hey, it is Colorado. :)

08-Apr-15
Looks like fun boys!

08-Apr-15
I just wanted to make another comment about Will. Like midwest said it is no wonder he is so successful.....he even hit the tow truck driver up for turkey Intel. If that dude was only a rancher who liked to tow vehicles on the side we would have been in the chips. :)

08-Apr-15
I guess it's up to me to post more :)

After buggering the jakes (do you see a theme here?), Jim and I went for a big drive into some country neither one of us knew anything about.

Saw some turkeys. I'll let Jim furnish the details here. . .

But, interesting little sidenote that might give you an idea of what some public land hunters go through. . .

Driving down a road, we were stopped by some other hunters from Colorado that we'd already met. They were parked right in the middle of the road, on top of a hill. Blocking the road. They walked back to the truck, and had been making a plan to stalk a big group of birds with several strutters. . .

The gentleman asked if we were wanting to drive through to the end of the road. I said heck no, we'd just back out and leave them to those birds, so we didn't spook them driving by.

I thought that was the most natural thing in the world to do in our situation, but he looked surprised that we'd do that! I can't imagine wanting to drive by and ruin their chances. Plenty of birds to go around

That's kind of stuck with me. Nice folks

08-Apr-15
So there are plenty of guys who work hard, and plenty of guys who are successful hunters. But what impresses me most about will is his willingness to parlay his success into success for others. We certainly would have not been able to make this trip if not for his initial help in setting Aaron up last year, and allowing Aaron to take us this year. And certainly not the first time he has offered to help me with tactics/locations, simply an all round class guy.

--Jim

08-Apr-15
So back to the hunt. Blane pretty much covered our Friday. Not much that afternoon, we pulled a sneak on a couple groups, and actually siding totally mess one of those up, but just not quite able to finish. Chased a few others, but nothing to write home about.

So Saturday morning was out last day to hunt. Blane and I were really hoping that Aaron and John would have a bit more luck, and we all had some decent plans for the morning.

On a side note we had an Excelent show of the lunar eclipse, simply awesome in that early morning sky. We had no idea to even be looking for it!

--Jim

08-Apr-15
Saturday mornign started nicely, back to the same field we had sat the morning before. Birds gobbeling all up and down the creek behind us. Hopes were high, but soon after sunrise they were crushed. The gobbeling completely stopped after fly down, and then little hen talk sounded to be across the creek from us.

Then as the mornig started to pass the Nebraska wind started to blow. Aaron and Jobn had to start back to CO, so we met up to say the good byes and safe travels about 10. Blane and I decided we had not had quite enough punishment though, and decided to try out little hilltop from the afternoon before, as we thought we had those birds kinda patterned.

Of course those "dependable" birds didn't show up, and after being about blown away we decided to call it a day about 2.

--Jim

08-Apr-15

So that ended our Nebraska hunt. We went 2 for 4. We wished that the Colorado half of our group would have had a little more luck (cause honestly that is really all Blane and I had) with the birds. I think we all would have been just fine if no birds were killed. I think overall we all enjoyed the trip and hunting regardless of shooting turkeys. But of course shooting turkeys adds a little to it ;)

Thanks for reading along. I hope that we can do something similar next year, and maybe be able to meet up with the b-team somewhere along the way.

Thanks to Aaron and Will to make it possible and share their places/knowledge with the rest of our group.

--Jim

08-Apr-15
Wish I had a pic of the 4 of us, but of course hind sight is 20/20...

--Jim

08-Apr-15
Agree with Jim, big thanks to Aaron and Will !!!!

08-Apr-15
Congratulations fellas! We need to have a big pig hunting extravaganza on our place in Feb/Mar of next year. You're all invited. Even you Jim. :)

08-Apr-15
Thanks for coming guys, I had a lot of fun! Sorry for not contributing more to the thread. I'm traveling for work this week and have been busy. I'll post a few pics when I get home as well.

08-Apr-15
Thanks Rick, especially since I'm paying for it ;)

--Jim

08-Apr-15
You got to love a 'blow by blow" turkey hunt/story.

Good job guys.

My best, Paul

08-Apr-15
Looks like a grand time!

Aaron extended me an invite, but I just couldnt make it. Maybe next time

08-Apr-15
Sounds like you guys had a blast! Congrats!

09-Apr-15
Looks like an awesome time. Sorry about the car Will!

11-Apr-15

Aaron Johnson's embedded Photo
A few more pics from the trip.

11-Apr-15

11-Apr-15

11-Apr-15

11-Apr-15

11-Apr-15
Congrats to all. Look like a great time was had.

12-Apr-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Field to table....breading provided by Bowfreak!

• Sitka Gear