Bonecarpenter 09-Apr-15
badbull 09-Apr-15
writer 10-Apr-15
gottoohunt 10-Apr-15
Alexis Desjardins 10-Apr-15
08-Apr-15

Bonecarpenter's embedded Photo
Here is a challenge to all you bowsiters out there. Take an old guy out turkey hunting this year. Last year I took my 86 year old father out and he shot his first turkey. He taught me how to hunt many years ago but had not hunted with me for 20 years due primarily to health problems. We shared many bowhunting adventures together and he was there when I shot my first elk and deer. He can't walk around anymore without a walker and can't draw a bow but he can sit in a blind and shoot a shotgun. He is still talking about the bird he shot last year and is looking forward to this years hunt. Best of luck to everyone this year!

08-Apr-15
Awesome!!! I like this idea!! Wish I could partake, sounds like a hell of a time.

08-Apr-15
Good on you!

My dad is 85 now and he still rides his horse each week and got a nice muley buck last fall.

Good luck, Robb

08-Apr-15
Congrats on making it happen with your Dad! I have proposed the idea of a turkey hunt (his first ever) to my 83 year old friend....I think he's going to say yes...hope I can post a pic like this!

Mark

08-Apr-15
Thank you for sharing your hunt with us. I believe our mentors should be revered. It is great to see I am not alone in that opinion.

08-Apr-15
Excellent!!! Way to go... I tried this a few years ago with my grandpa but with his condition couldn't do it. So now I just tell him stories from the field. Great thread!

08-Apr-15
Kudos!

08-Apr-15
That's great!

08-Apr-15
Use your smart phone to video and record their voice. Think about hearing the voice of someone you loved who is gone! I bet you would cherish it when their gone!

Very few ever do this but it's so easy now with smart phones!

08-Apr-15

loesshillsarcher's embedded Photo
loesshillsarcher's embedded Photo
My Dad and I shared a lot of fun turkey hunts. He taught me lots. This was to be his last bird. He loved to turkey hunt. Hope you guys have a fun and good hunt this year!

08-Apr-15
Good stuff!

08-Apr-15
great pics

08-Apr-15
Awesome right there and nice photo! My brother and I took an older guy out for years, but he is in such bad shape now he can no longer do the walk (we don't have fields to hunt). Not as much age, but just lifestyle growing up and now he is a severe diabetic. We are now mentors to our children, so hopefully some day they will do for us as we do for them.

Loesshill, I remember you posting about your dad and that photo brings a smile to my face, especially the holes in the blind that you describes in the previous post.

08-Apr-15
That's great. Love returning the favor myself. Hunt

08-Apr-15
Yeah on the previous hunt he missed a group of three toms at like 2-3 yards. Five minutes later another group of three in the same spot. Missed again. Six shots. We laughed a bit about it. This hunt that is pictured, he killed it at like 45 yards. Stoned him. We laughed again. The holes in the mesh are from him blasting away. Love it.

08-Apr-15
The shotgun blast holes in the mesh are the best!!!

Great story Ned...

Mark

09-Apr-15

Loesshills great work with your pa and I have a photo just like that. Trkyslyr much respect for your skills and fantastic pics and stories. I did get one the next day with the natural set up and got an antelope with my bow last year the same way. Like the style of the natural set up.

09-Apr-15
Good for you! I have been taking my two sons big game bowhunting every year for about forty years since they were seven years old. I can tell you that this has been the most rewarding experience of my life. Now that I'm approaching an age where the roles may have to be reversed, my great hope is that they will be of the mindset that you have. You have my admiration......badbull

10-Apr-15

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Enjoy them while you can, guys. You never now when you'll no longer have the chance. My dad was diagnosed with bone cancer six months after retirement, he was 65, and things went from very bad to worse weekly.

We didn't get to go as often, or as far, as we'd hoped, but I did give him a mule deer hunt for his retirement present. He had this photo by his death bed, it was also beside his casket.

Several years ago I took an 85 year-old buddy on a pampered turkey hunt together, and got him a pair of birds. We (he) has been fighting cancer for four years, and we talk about that hunt often.

10-Apr-15
I have taken my now 88 year old neighbor out turkey hunting the last bunch of years and he has killed a longbeard the last two years one was a double bearded bird with 19 inches of beard. We leave Sunday for southwest Virginia.

10-Apr-15
nice thanks for sharing good times.

• Sitka Gear