midwest 13-Apr-15
Brotsky 13-Apr-15
Bake 13-Apr-15
Ermine 13-Apr-15
Ermine 14-Apr-15
12-Apr-15

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
With a hall pass for 2 days and spring in full swing it was time for turkeys. Idaho has a great mentor program. I invited my Buddy Mike and his 11 year old boy Eli. I told them about Chris and Joes contest. He was excited and started shooting everyday at ten yards. We left my house friday around noon. 150 west to Kooskia ID. Here is Eli with last years bird. He said bow only this year.

12-Apr-15

We get there and get the scoop on the birds from the Landowner. Its 2pm .

12-Apr-15

we get in the blind at 230. We are getting settled in. Elis face is shining like a full moon. I start looking in my pack for a head net. With my head below the window i hear a drum outside the blind. I look up and at 5 yards is 2 long beards. No arrow nocked. We get one knocked and eli stands up to draw. They bust and leave. Dang it. Here he is with me trying to coax him back. 2o yards. Easy for me miles away for Eli.

12-Apr-15

Next up 3 jakes come by and stop at 12 yards. Eli draws and goes just under the bird. I call they stop and arrow 2 goes high. Dang this is fun and we are 20 minutes into it. Eli is bummed. I tell him it happens to the best of us. Right Nick? We move blinds gig is up here. HUNT

12-Apr-15
That's right!

12-Apr-15

We move blinds and get settled in and ready. We are down to 3 arrows. 30 minutes later and i have a gang of jakes fired up and coming in Hot. Eli is up and ready.

12-Apr-15

They gang up on the DSD. They are at 8 yards. Eli draws and shoots. I cant see from my angle but i hear a whack. But Elis face says miss. Nock up another one and whack i hear feathers but a miss high. I tell him calm down and heres your last arrow. If you look close you can see what i heard on the first shot. Dsd are tough:)

12-Apr-15

With one arrow left Eli takes aim. We got this . He shoots and the arrow goes low. I watch him drop his arm looking for the arrow. We are out of arrows and pinned down.

12-Apr-15

So with no arrows one jake will not leave the decoys. We got a hell of a show. Eli is crying and laughing at the same time.

12-Apr-15

Here is Eli pointing a stick he was whittling on in the blind at the love sick jake.

12-Apr-15

12-Apr-15

12-Apr-15

He will not leave and the show continues.

12-Apr-15

Him trying to mount the hen brings the whole Gang back.

12-Apr-15

After an hour they all go over the hill. I crawl out and look for arrows. I can only find one. The one in the decoy. I crawl back in and lay into them with the calls.

12-Apr-15
"Down to only three arrows" - classic.

Love where the arrow stuck, too.

That was a heck of a lot more memorable than if he'd have drilled one right off the bat.

Fun, fun, fun stuff, but com'on, man get it entered faster. I was supposed to be at the gym 15 minutes ago and I ain't leaving this...

Thanks!

12-Apr-15

They gobble and before long here they come back.

12-Apr-15

Here we go. The bird commits to the decoys and Eli gets ready. I tell him take your time and squeeze that trigger. Feathers is all we get. they leave and i go get the arrow again.

12-Apr-15

we get out and find all the arrows. we laugh with the Landowner as we relive the hunt over a great dinner.Tomorrow is anther day.

12-Apr-15

We get up early and make some hot coco and breakfast. Weather looks like rain

12-Apr-15
Man, missing out on the turkey hunts with you in the NW is something I will really miss this year. Good on you buddy, I am sure Eli will remember this for a long time.

12-Apr-15

We get settled in and it starts to rain. But Eli is all smiles as the first gobbles of the morning ring out.

12-Apr-15

Dad picks the Magic arrow. so we hope.

12-Apr-15

Here they come.

12-Apr-15

They close fast and my flash goes off on this pic. They stop at 12 yards. Looking. Dang sometimes taking pics gets in the way of killing stuff.

12-Apr-15

Eli takes aim at the lead bird. The shot goes right. He is heart broken. Me and Mike tell him stories of us missing animals over the years to ease his pain. The rain keeps hammering down.

12-Apr-15

We try to bring them back but enough is enough. We call it and head home. It was a great trip. Eli never once said lets use the shotgun. I think a new bowhunter was born on this trip. I know i cant wait to this little guy gets to sling arrows at turkeys. Thanks for looking. To be continued. HUNT

12-Apr-15
Good stuff man, thanks for sharing the story and pics.

12-Apr-15
Good stuff, Hunt!

12-Apr-15
Thanks for the story.

Great looking hunting partner you have coming along, Hunt.

12-Apr-15
Awesome hunt Hunt! I can't wait to see the continued hunt.. I feel he'll get one for sure! I'm rooting for him!!!!

12-Apr-15
Nice thread Hunt. Looks like a great time. Hell, I don't shoot any better than Eli about half the time! Keep shooting!

--Jim

13-Apr-15
As always HUNT, you are doing awesome things for people. Can't wait to see how this ends up.

13-Apr-15
Good stuff Hunt!! Wish I was there.

13-Apr-15
Hunt doesn't toot his own horn very often... This fella is the epitome of a "Helper Outter"... He will do all he can to set a guy up on a bow hunt... I've watched him set others up and I've been the benefactor on others. He loves to hunt and LOVES to see others be successful. Hunt, you keep doing your thing buddy and in a few months we are gonna have a blast!

13-Apr-15
Way to go, HUNT! Looking forward to the next chapter.

13-Apr-15
Awesome story Hunt! That young man might not have gotten his bird but he got something just as good, memories that will last him a lifetime! He's blessed to have you as a mentor.

Tell Eli that those DSD jakes look so realistic that once they are mixed up in a flock no one can tell the difference! Ha!

13-Apr-15
That's an awesome hunt! I think I'd have thrown my bow at that jake that wouldn't leave, and charged him with my knife in my teeth. Bastard was just taunting you !!

Bake

13-Apr-15
Awesome way to pass on the torch. That's really awesome. I just went on a hunt and I missed 4 turkeys. Ha turkey panic!!

14-Apr-15
Awesome way to pass on the torch. That's really awesome. I just went on a hunt and I missed 4 turkeys. Ha turkey panic!!

• Sitka Gear