Ziek 16-Apr-15
ToddT 17-Apr-15
writer 17-Apr-15
Brotsky 17-Apr-15
LC Archer 18-Apr-15
weekender21 18-Apr-15
Mad_Angler 18-Apr-15
16-Apr-15
I have been trying to kill one of these things with my Bow for 8 going on 9 years now and still haven't come close! So far this year does not look any better. There are tons of birds, just cannot manage any shots.

Not sure if its the blind, the decoy's or bad luck! I kill one every year with the gun, FRUSTRATING!

There I'm done ranting.

Anyone have any great ideas?

16-Apr-15
What kind of blind and decoys are you using? How are you calling? When and where are you hunting? Just out of blind luck you should have gotten a shot by now if there's lots of birds. Give us some more info and we'll try to get a bird in the freezer for you!

16-Apr-15
Where are you hunting?

Maybe try some different tactics. Like spot and stalk, Heads Up Decoy, etc. Dont limit yourself to just a blind and decoys.

I just got back from a hunt where we used the Heads Up Decoy quite a bit. It really made things come together quick!

16-Apr-15
It's a hub style blind, some off brand but the camo is a darker brown tint. It has worked for Whitetails before. Maybe the turkeys don't like the dark color.

I have a B-mobile with a Jake tail fan that spins like a strutting tom via remote control.

Then I have a she mobile for a hen and another foam one.

I'm hunting from Sunrise to about ten (working half days in the office when I can hunt)

Calling is some soft tree yelps and then some yelping after fly down. As it gets later in the morning I call less maybe some yelps every 1 minutes.

Today I probably have at least 15 gobbling around me and still couldn't get one to come by in range.

16-Apr-15
It's fun to hear them gobble but I am sure frustrating after awhile without them coming in. Try setting up in the woods 30 yards or so and use a single hen. Make them search for you.

16-Apr-15
Early season they'll be following hens off the roost and harder to call. Sometimes later in the morning, say between 10-1, they can be more prone to calling.

But you also may just need to relocate your blind to an area the turkeys naturally tend to pass through. Instead of trying to call them into an area they don't normally use. Examples could be locations that are just into the woods at the inside corner of a field. Or off the end of a fenceline. Or at the foot or head of a long shallow draw in the middle of a woodlot. And etc. Just watch where they travel naturally and they should show you where to set up. Sometimes a good masking backdrop behind your blind may help if they are blind-shy. That's pretty rare for turkeys though. They're mostly dumb as a rock.

16-Apr-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
9 till noon is magic. Don't move if the birds aren't coming to you right after fly down. They become vulnerable after the hen's leave them to go lay their egg for the day.

If you are in a spot they like to strut, they will be back. I just call every 15-20 minutes...a few loud yelps out each side of the blind, a half strut jake where I want to shoot, and a hen set for visibility from a distance.

16-Apr-15
Jakes around here gang up and beat the hell out of the mature toms pretty often. I've had many spot my jake decoy and not commit. I switched to a single hen and nearly all that end up seeing it commit and come in.

16-Apr-15
The Turkeys at our farm roost in cedar tree's on both sides of a ravine. The ravine bottom is only about 100 yards wide. They typically all fly down in that bottom and eventually move up to the top. The problem is that every day they go to a different spot up top.

I'm in a corner they like to travel and where I have seen them strut a lot, just not when I'm there.

I have killed several in this location with a gun every year, I'm wondering if the birds there do not like the strutting Jake.

16-Apr-15
Sleep in and hunt midday if you can't sit til at least noon. Killing them off the roost is MUCH harder. Also....hunt stealth. Don't continuously move setups through the day. Regardless of what run and gunners tell you, you are showing yourself and spooking turkeys. Hunt low impact, hunt long and you will have one humping your decoy before long. :)

16-Apr-15
Yea maybe loose the jake decoy. And just try a hen.

I've seen mature birds shy away from a setup just because of the presence of a jake decoy.

Jakes can gang up and be real mean to mature birds.

16-Apr-15
Jason, Are you actually seeing the birds come in then shy away from your set up? If so, ditch the dekes and brush in your blind. Be ready for the birds to come in silent to your sporadic calling. You may have a short window for a shot.

16-Apr-15
Echo previous thoughts:

First rule of waterfowling (and turkey hunting): be where the birds want to be. Much easier to call them to where they want to go.

Decoys: I have had really good luck with DSD jake and a no-name breeding hen. Just yesterday morning, a tom jogged in from 100 yards to check out the jake and breeding hen.

Calling: I find box calls and slates are much easier to use.

Timing: If you can set up right below the roost tree, that works great for early morning. Otherwise, I try to sit until 10 or 11. A lot of birds will show up after that first morning rush. But I understand. I try to quit by 10:00 many days too..

Blind: some turkeys care. most do not. I have had birds run in this year with my blind sitting in the open at the edge of a field.

Turkey hunting is wierd. It is very hard. You'll come close a zillion times. Then, some bird will really want to die, come charging in, and beg you to shoot it. You just have to keep going and eventually it will happen.

16-Apr-15
People that say turkeys are dumb and easy to kill don't know what they are talking about.

I think turkey hunting is pretty tough. Seems like they always go opposite of where the blind is!

16-Apr-15
What part of the state are you in Martin Man

16-Apr-15
I'm in the East Central part of Iowa. Between CR, Iowa City, Dubuque and the Quad Cities.

It seems like they are only dumb when I carry a gun forth season!

Yes I have seen birds come close and then shy away. I don't think a can make that 40 yard shot at a walking turkey.

16-Apr-15
Martin man... Take some mud from your area and wipe your blind down... When it dries it will lighten it up and it will deff not stand out as much. Just a little blind trick that's helped many I've given it too.

16-Apr-15
If nothing works keep trying something new! If a blind doesn't work try without a blind. If a jake dosn't work try a couple hens, tom, or something else. I had problems with turkeys shying from my portable blind last year. I started setting up without one and that was the ticket! It isn't written in stone that you have to sit in a blind? You have to be willing to change things up or the same thing will likely happen 9 years from now!

I'm not sure the dates of the archery Iowa season but nothing says you can't use a bow during shotgun season? In Nebraska last year it was super tough during archery season....birds were flocked up, scared to death of blinds, and wanted nothing to do with decoys. A month later during shotgun season thing changed DRAMATICALLY!

16-Apr-15
After all my years of turkey hunting I've grown comfortable that when someone calls me a turkey, I take it as a compliment. With that being said, a lot of times they'll come in quiet and spot you before you see them if you move the slightest bit. If it's a slow day and for the most part quiet except for a "hot" bird off in the distance I'll make a move for him. The single hen suggestion works better some days too as mentioned. Try using clucks and soft purrs on the tough days if the wind is down.

16-Apr-15
After all my years of turkey hunting I've grown comfortable that when someone calls me a turkey, I take it as a compliment. With that being said, a lot of times they'll come in quiet and spot you before you see them if you move the slightest bit. If it's a slow day and for the most part quiet except for a "hot" bird off in the distance I'll make a move for him. The single hen suggestion works better some days too as mentioned. Try using clucks and soft purrs on the tough days if the wind is down.

16-Apr-15
As some others may have suggested, hunt later in the morning or afternoon near the roost tree.

Turkeys tend to flock together off the roost and may head off in a different direction. Toms following.

Later the toms/tom may leave some of the hens and go wandering on their own and be more agreeable to check out our calls and decoy setup later in the morning and day.

My best, Paul

16-Apr-15
Just stay after it. If you are successful shotgunning them you will get one with your bow. I wouldn't worry about the blind unless they are seeing you in it or you are backlit. I've seen all sorts of brands, patterns, material work great.

Who knows what causes one bird to trot right into the decoys while the next one sees it and trots away? I do know that if I have them shy away 2 or 3 times in a row, I either switch up the decoys or just don't use any.

I bet a certain turkey master is clawing at his keyboard wanting to get in on this discussion.

16-Apr-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
How close are your dekes to the blind? If over 10 yards, they're too far. If you suspect it's the blind (I doubt that's the problem though), brush it in. Maybe they're just tired of being blasted at in that location. ;-) Give up the shotgun and COMMIT to the bow. While my wife and I have bow-killed turkeys nearly every year since we started hunting them, it got MUCH easier when I finally bought a DSD flock. These guys came in to the same set up as I used for my bird 4 days earlier. My wife killed the biggest one at 10 yards. We've been using this location for the past few years. It's about 100 yards from a popular roost. We usually hunt in the morning 'til they disperse and again in the evening when they return. One 'trick' I use is to set a HeadsUp decoy against the front of the blind, so any movement or sound they might glimpse, they hopefully attribute to the gobbler fanning there.

17-Apr-15
I have been contemplating the same thing. Last year was the first year I didn't fill my two tags. And not only did I now fill my tags, I didn't fill one tag. The first year in twenty years that I didn't fill my tags. Granted, I am still using the shotgun.

But I have considered buying a pet hen turkey, name her henny, and train her to walk about until she finds a gobbler then return to the spot that I released her. Kind of like playing fetch with a dog, but with a hen turkey and the ball or stick is a gobbler. At least that is the going joke between me and my wife at this time, as I have been unbelievably frustrated during the last season as well as the beginning of this one isn't looking a lot more promising. So I am probably not in a great position to give great advice, but what the heck.

Maybe tone down your calling a bit. Turkeys can hear a lot better than most give them credit for. I have heard from numerous veteran turkey hunters to give a few clucks every 30 minutes or so. I don't know how the birds are in your area, but where I hunt, other than on the roost, it is extremely rare to hear a turkey hen yelp, it is usually low clucks and purrs. Not always but most of the time.

Also, I was thinking the same thing about your timeframe. Right off the roost, most groups have a destination in mind an pretty much head off, without much reliability. However after around 9 a.m. they seem to split into singles and doubles and start sporadically scouring the woods looking for a mate. I would say if I wanted to bowhunt from a blind, I would get up around daylight, do what I needed to do, then sit from around 9 or 10, until 1 or 2. Maybe even 3 or 4. And if you are fully aware of preferred roost areas, you may set up a couple hours before dark and intercept as they make their way back to the roost.

As far as the decoys. It has been my experience and I get the same from other hunters that I know, turkeys either seem to love them, or they totally ignore them, or in the worse cases, they run from them. I have no clue why they do any of these things, but it is a tough call, because the day you don't use them, they may would have worked, and the day you use them, the birds run away at the sight. I don't know. You just have to use your best judgment. The problem I see with the lone hen is that the gobbler knows that the hen is supposed to come to her, so if he is within sight of the decoy, and she doesn't come to him, he may lose interest, expect something - as everyone nowadays seems to use a decoy - or simply figure that maybe she will come when she sees he isn't going to run to her. Who knows.

It's kind of funny. There was the discussion a couple months ago about how dumb turkeys were, and how easy they were to hunt. Granted a lot of this was due primarily to one particular member blowing his own horn and spreading his achievements as if he had cured cancer. But turkey hunting in general, in my experience can humble a hunter to the core. I have had the good fortune in the past where I shot numerous birds in my state as well as a few other states, then helped family and friends take numerous birds, all in the same year. I kind of got bored with it, it became so easy. But with my experience through the last several years, I am beginning to wonder how anyone could ever kill one of the danged things.

I am still contemplating my pet turkey, henny.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

17-Apr-15
...and keep in mind, every piece of advice someone gives you, someone else who's killed as many birds will recommend just the opposite.

17-Apr-15
Patience kills more turkeys with the bow than any other magic formula. Combine patience with location, realistic half strut jake and hen decoys and a good blind and you'll kill a pile of turkeys. Sounds like you are in a pretty good location.

I will echo Todd's comments on calling. I only give a couple yelps at a time sporadically through out the day after fly down. Just enough for the Tom to zero in on my location. Then I'm patient. He'll come looking eventually. The birds I hunt are heavily pressured and not very vocal. stick with it and you'll get your chance!

18-Apr-15
+1 Brotsky.

It's fun to chase gobbles early but patience is the most deadly technique. Finding a strut zone or pinch point or visible location for your decoy spread also is key. Spot and stalking stutting gobblers with the HUD fan later in the morning is also a nice change from camping out in the blind for hours.

Keep after em! Dave

18-Apr-15
Keep after them. If the Toms are with hens they can be very hard to kill. Sometimes the hens will come in to investigate but they'll avoid your calling just as often. Eventually the Toms will lose interest if the hens aren't ready or lose interest when the hens sit on their nest all day. A late morning Tom with no hens can be very willing to come to the call.

18-Apr-15
Here is another secret... puzzle books or games on your phone.

If you just wait patiently, the birds will eventually show up.

I can't count how many times that I wanted to move. I was sure that no birds were ever going to come. or I was sure that the birds were in the next ridge over. But I just stayed in my blind. I solved suduko puzzles with a pen in a book.

Sure enough. After a while, a group of birds show up and work in to my decoys and wound up in the back of the truck.

Patience is the key...

• Sitka Gear