APauls 14-Jun-18
smarba 14-Jun-18
splitlimb13 14-Jun-18
PAbowhunter1064 14-Jun-18
Lost Arra 14-Jun-18
bigmartbowhunter 18-Jun-18
17-Apr-15
Hi all,

Just wanted some opinions on switching to Viper tricks. I previously used ST 124 1" for MD and I tried using them for elk last year (operator error abundant). I also tried the COC without the heavy point, liked them but didn't feel confident that the blade at the point would be as good as the Viper Trick point.

Just bought a pack today and will try them out this weekend for accuracy.

Return trip in September to Co for Elk. Last years was 5 days of great action so I have to give it another shot.

17-Apr-15
Mine entered a cow last year at her trachea, and exited in the right ham, traversing the entire length of the animal. Can't ask for much more than that!

Another entered the front of a pronghorn buck, went through a vertebral body, a lung, and liver, and half-exited the far side. Blade was still usable.

The only reason I'd switch is just out of curiosity. As far as "do they work?", they work.

17-Apr-15
Shoot the Mags here in NJ for deer but am using the Vipers this year in CO. In the back of my mind I know tht a lot of bulls come straight in presenting only a frontal shot. I feel that the Vipers will get in a bit deeper with the semi COC head. Shot them yesterday and they flew right on the money. Who are you hunting with in CO and good luck?

17-Apr-15
The viper trick fly really well. It wasn't my first choice as I like 3 blade but they hit exactly with the field points so I stuck with em. Have have great results with them and had my last 3 animals go down in sight.

17-Apr-15

Bernie1's embedded Photo
Bernie1's embedded Photo

Bernie1's Link
My buddy shot his huge bull with a Viper trick last year and it dropped in something like 10 seconds!

17-Apr-15
Hey you post thief!!!! lol......

Like Bernie1 said, around 10 seconds and down. Shot was 87 yds and passed through. Great accuracy and really strongly built design. Shot 3 animals with them last year. Only complaint is I wasn't overly impressed with the blood trails, but hard to argue with the 3 tags filled!

17-Apr-15
Haha!

18-Apr-15
All Tricks are great heads for elk. Choose the one that flies best out of your bow. RazorTricks work for me so I won't even look at another head.

18-Apr-15
For those that state these fly like field points, have you shot mechanicals before and do they compare to the out of the box flight you get with mechanicals, even at extended yards like 60-80? I am thinking of making the switch from mechanicals to a fixed blade and this one has my attention.

18-Apr-15
Thankd. I also shoot fmjs and 125 grain heads. I'll continue to research and possibly pick up a pack.

18-Apr-15

deerslayer's Link
Razorhead,

I'm shooting 80 lbs with a 545 grain arrow, and a 125 grain head. My speed is 278 fps which is generating almost 94 ft lbs of kinetic energy. We call my bow "Thors Hammer". ;)

(You can read all about the hunt on the thread at the posted link)

HuntEasy,

Not sure I would say they fly out of the box like mechs, but with a properly tuned bow, they fly very well. I shot them through the whole season last year and they flew like darts.

20-Apr-15

WYOBIRDDOG's embedded Photo
WYOBIRDDOG's embedded Photo
Very good head I havent had any issues with them, they fly great at distance too. Two bulls in two years both were pass throughs. Dave

20-Apr-15
Shot about 80 arrows this weekend with around 20 shots shooting the Vipertrick.

Amazing flight and sure ripped up my target.

Looks like this will be the setup for September.

Dean Nuts on at 50 yards.

20-Apr-15
Great broadhead, I really like it. Never shot an elk with one, but I bet they would work well.

Kevin

11-Jun-18

VTOrion's embedded Photo
VTOrion's embedded Photo
I love STs. I used 125G standards on this monster VT Moose, 20yard broadside, could hear the arrow cutting bog grass quite a ways on the other side4 of the bull. He wobbled 40 yards and laid down. My question is: I'm going to ID to hunt elk, and am preparing for 60 yard shots, are the Viper Tricks actually noticeably better for long range accuracy? How about the Grizz Tricks?

11-Jun-18
I think the viper trick is slick tricks best head .Great choice for elk

11-Jun-18
Yep, used 125 gr Magnum since before they were even called Magnum, then transitioned to Viper several years ago. My go-to favorite head for sure.

11-Jun-18
Vipers (125 gr)for sure. Shot my last 2 elk with them and a few African plains game, no problem at all. Best slick trick.

11-Jun-18
The razor trick is the best I have shot. I changed my arrow / broadhead setup for my first elk hunt in 2015. Tried the slick trick razor trick 125 with a 20 grain insert weight and 400 series black eagle shafts. My rig has never shot better. At a range of 80 yds , target shooting , the new arrows fly exactly the same as with field points. Shot a bull at 50 yds broadside and on impact he never flinched. Nothing , not any kind of sign he had just had an arrow pass through his lungs. He stood for ten seconds and finally bolted when I bent down to get a second arrow. The arrow made it twenty or so yards after going through him. He made it 40 yards and piled up. Shot a few whitetail with em also and they perform very well. I have shot a bunch of broadheads out of the bow I shoot now , both mechanicals and fixed blade. The razor trick 125 ended my search for the " right one" .

13-Jun-18
Problem is Razor Trick was discontinued. Honestly I didn't like its assembly with the tiny set screw, it was finicky as the main blade had enough play that it sometimes took an adjustment or two of the set screw to get it spinning true, The tip of the main blade could get bent on hard impacts, and a surprising amount of hair/etc would get jammed between the ferrule and main blade.

The Viper is every bit as "cut on contact", tougher, easier to assemble, etc. Definitely my preference.

13-Jun-18
Love the viper 125's, by far my favorite go to head that I've used. Iron Will's look tempting but for the price point everything I've shot a slick trick at is dead with excellent penetration. Dead is dead.

13-Jun-18
The viper trick is an outstanding head and I killed plenty of critters with them. I decided to give RAD heads a try last season though and was extremely impressed. They fly just as good as the ST heads but have left better blood trails for me. One of my long time complaints with ST's is the somewhat sparse bloodtrails at times. They killed all the critters quick but I was always concerned with the amount of blood on the ground. For whatever reason I've had better luck with RAD heads in the past year killing just as quick but leaving better blood on the ground. The RAD Rival 125 is my current head of choice this year and will be on my arrow for mule deer, whitetail, pronghorn, and hopefully elk. Definitely worth checking them out.

13-Jun-18

wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
Brotsky, my experience with the ST was exactly the opposite of yours. I had kicked around the idea of trying the Viper Tricks for a year or so. I respect the heck out of cnelk, so when I saw some of Brad's elk photos, and the damage the ST's caused, I decided to give them a try. This dude was doing somersaults down the ridge in less than 3 seconds. It's nice to hear them crash and burn...bloodtrailing wasn't necessary. ;-)

13-Jun-18
I don’t disagree, they get the job done and we’ve put down a lot of critters quick with them. They are a great head, I’ve just found something that works better for me. I don’t think I’m the only one that has experienced that with ST’s either. They are definitely in my top 2. :)

13-Jun-18
Understand completely. Although 99% is hitting ‘em where they need to be hit, you gotta have complete confidence in that other 1%! ;-)

13-Jun-18
I’m seeing the new viper tricks in both stainless steel and in steel does it really matter.Lewis

14-Jun-18
Lewis, the regular steel tricks will rust up on you quick if you don't take care of them. SS version will not.

14-Jun-18
Ive been using viper tricks for 3 years, from a well tuned bow they fly like a field point. Blood trails are more than adequate

14-Jun-18
I agree with others here. I've shot all the slick-trick heads. The viper-trick fly great, and are their best penetrating head. It's my go-to fixed blade.

14-Jun-18
Viper Tricks and QAD Exodus are prob my two fixed heads in that price category, but this year I'll be packing Iron Wills. When I add up the $ I spend on hunting on a yearly basis and think of how many "money shots" I let go, spending an extra $30 on the one piece that is actually doing the killing is honestly negligible.

14-Jun-18
APauls I had just about convinced myself to try IW broadheads...then I didn't draw an elk tag :o(

14-Jun-18
No tag Carl? Bummer man. Anything else ?

14-Jun-18
I agree with Brotsky. Never shot one at an elk, but of all the white-tails my wife & I've killed with ViperTricks, the blood trails were little to non-existent. We recovered each deer from recalling where we seen it last, and most fell within sight. Shot placement was always right in the boiler room, and should've produced adequate blood, but nothing more than pin size drops here and there. ViperTricks fly like darts, are scary sharp, and an all around bulletproof broadhead...my wife still swears by them, but I've gone back to an infamous mechanical head I won't mention here. They definitely do the job, but I don't want to lose an animal the day my tracking skills decide to leave me. Shoot what gives you the most confidence when it counts the most!

14-Jun-18
Great topic and thanks to all for the comments. It's good to know I'm not the only one to kill an elk with a broadhead that costs about $10

18-Jun-18
Just got my viper tricks, flies perfect and dead center at 30 yards. I have used slick trick magnum 100 gr for last 5 years with great results, 5 bulls, all dead within 60-80 yards.

• Sitka Gear