WV Mountaineer 19-Apr-15
weekender21 20-Apr-15
weekender21 20-Apr-15
Ziek 20-Apr-15
Brotsky 20-Apr-15
18-Apr-15

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Ok. I've read all of the great reports of basically creating a flock of DSDs, with a bird in full strut, a jake, a breeding hen, a feeding hen, a nesting hen, a disinterested (married) hen,...on and on.

I do it both ways, and I tend to get my best hunts with just one decoy. It's a Dakota jake, which I think replicates a submissive jakes, especially if I push the bottom of the bird to within six inches or so of the ground.

Yesterday these two boys came back three times, after a 20-25 minute first attack on the Dakota. The dominant bird would have probably scored 68-69 points, and hit the decoy hard, and often enough, to put a 30-degree bend in the steel stake. (I guess I had it down in a rock crevice...they don't call them the Flint HIlls for nothing.

18-Apr-15

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
This was all five yards from the blind, and after they got rolling I stuck my small camera lens out the window and shot away. They were way too close for the 100-400. (Canon dude, all L-series.)

18-Apr-15
That's amazing!

18-Apr-15

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Interesting that they spent so much time pounding the jake they hardly noticed the hens walking past, even the one that lay down in the old hay nearby.

They strutted back and forth, like this, whenever they weren't at the decoy. All it took was a few aggressive purrs and they were back to thumping the decoy.

(Heard a ton of Jake yelping yesterday, and two different mature toms gobbler yelping. One was a loaner two year-old (third bird in the pic above) and all he did was yelp. The sub-dominant secondary bird yelped a little but also gobbled.)

Interesting birds. I hope I never figure them out.

(Hey Chris, Joe, how about showing us where you'd aim on the two strutters?)

19-Apr-15
I will be hunting the flint hills next weekend, I got invited to participate in a hunt with Wounded Warriors United...apparently someone else will be doing the calling for me so I'm hoping to learn a lot!

19-Apr-15
Great pics Michael!!! Id shootm in the vitals lol... Joe will have to post a pic with spots as that's to techi for me hehe.

19-Apr-15

weekender21's embedded Photo
My DSD jake got his butt kicked by jakes and mature birds alike last week. I did use a DSD upright hen but only the girls paid her any attention.

19-Apr-15

jake fight

19-Apr-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
While the DSD jake does get most of the attention, it never hurts to also put out a hen or two. I've had gobblers try to breed both the submissive hen and upright hen until they were exhausted. I've also had hens come in to harass the new gal in the area. It's always nice to have a live "decoy" or two to add realism.

My normal set-up is a tending jake, submissive hen, feeding hen, and upright hen. I also have another pair - tending jake and submissive hen, for when my wife and I are hunting at the same time at different locations. I frequently use a HUD right against the blind, also.

19-Apr-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo

19-Apr-15
I'll have to try the single jake in that position.

19-Apr-15
I'm hunting with a single submissive Jake until it stops working. No use carrying more than is needed.

19-Apr-15
Great photos!!!

19-Apr-15
How far do you guys that carry the kitchen sink actually walk while carrying the blind, the chair, the camera, your bow, the decoys, water, calls, etc....?

God Bless

20-Apr-15
I had it easy this year but last year I carried 2 decoys(stuffer hen and real fan strutter), blind, chair, camera gear, calls etc. about an hour into the area I was hunting and slightly longer on the way out thanks to the hilly terrain. It was private land and that was the only way to get to the area where the birds were hanging out. It was a lot of work but worth it.

20-Apr-15

I never did weigh my pack but it was heavy.

20-Apr-15
When I have to hike very far, the first thing to go is the big blind. My T2 is a lot lighter and smaller. Then, the chair. I can usually find something in the area to sit on, or just sit/kneel on the ground. Fewer decoys would be next. I would always take the jake, then probably add the upright hen. With snacks for the day, I can carry that pretty far. But we're talking about turkey hunting. Probably 70% - 80% of the time I can drive to within 100 yards or less.

20-Apr-15
WV, I usually do 3/4 of a mile one way with my Double bull, two or three chairs, the DSD jake and upright hen, snacks, water, and bow. My wife or daughter carry nothing but a smirk at their pack mule and their bow. Never weighed the pack but a guess would be right around 40-50# minimum. Lighter than a load of elk!

Great shots writer! I really need to get a good camera!

• Sitka Gear