writer 21-Apr-15
Ziek 21-Apr-15
Paul@thefort 21-Apr-15
midwest 21-Apr-15
weekender21 21-Apr-15
19-Apr-15

Tracker's embedded Photo
Tracker's embedded Photo
Awhile back I asked the question what decoy to get to replace my aging feather Flex decoys. It came down to the DSD, Avian, and Dakota. I decided to go with the DSD. Today I'm convinced I made the right choice. Yesterday was opening day here in Maryland and while I diode not have any Longbeards come in I did have a couple Jakes that presented close shots. This morning was another story when I have three mature birds peak up over the hill and when they saw the Submissive Jake they all went to full strut. All three then proceeded to march right over the the Jake ands chest pump him. I was so wrapped up in the show I almost forgot is was time to shoot. At 12 yards it was a slam dunk.

19-Apr-15
I really don't think brand matters as much as the increased realism and posture.

Nice bird, congrats on a great hunt. Keep using that decoy, spring and fall, and you'll enjoy many more.

You can see pics of a Dakota doing the same thing on another thread.

19-Apr-15

weekender21's embedded Photo
I'd have to agree. I bought a DSD jake and upright hen a few weeks ago. Every Tom/jake that saw the jake decoy (that I'm aware of) came all the way in, some multiple times. The DSD jake is a great decoy and made in America!

19-Apr-15
I agree with all of y'all.

The DSD jake is awesome. I have killed numerous birds that walked right to it.

I also agree with writer. I asssume that other brands of jakes can also bring in birds.

But the DSDs were first (that i know of). And they are made in America. That gives them the edge in my book.

19-Apr-15
I agree with all of y'all.

The DSD jake is awesome. I have killed numerous birds that walked right to it.

I also agree with writer. I asssume that other brands of jakes can also bring in birds.

But the DSDs were first (that i know of). And they are made in America. That gives them the edge in my book.

19-Apr-15
Traker congrats and you made a good choice! Dsd Jake is an awesome decoy!

20-Apr-15
I got a DSD jake. But haven't had any action with it. Depends on the bird I guess.

20-Apr-15
Ermine. It will happen.

20-Apr-15
I am sure any 3 of the ones I considered will work. But like Mad_Angler mentioned I like to support the American worker where I can.

By the way I hunted again this morning and thought I was going to have to get out of the blind to save my decoy from a Jake that beat on him for what seemed like forever. So far I am liking this Jake only setup.

20-Apr-15
I didn't know about the made in the USA before I ordered my Avian X Jake decoy last night. I already have the upright hen.

Hope to kill a bird with my 6 year old boy in tow next weekend. I hope to get some good interaction with the decoys for him lol. I'm pulling him out of school Friday and Monday if necessary. Aren't I bad dad?

20-Apr-15
I like to support American companies, too,...but didn't have a good experience with their customer service.

A loss for both of us.

20-Apr-15
I never thought I would EVER purchase a pair of hunting pants for over $200 but I did, Ie, Sika Mt Pants.

But when it came to purchasing a new jake turkey decoy, I did some research per price, quality, and realism and surely some of the reviews here on Bowsite. Price won me over when all was considered.

I chose the HS Strut Snoot Jake at $55.

Next in line was the Dakota, at $83.

#3 was the Avian X at $100.

and then #4 was the DSD, the bank breaker at $160.

Both turkey hunts this Spring resulted in a big tom within two days and the second hunt only took 1 hour using the Strut jak and both killing shots were within 6 yards.

As Writer stated, there are a few good quality, and very realistic decoys out there, just depends on your choice and wallet.

My best, Paul

20-Apr-15

20-Apr-15
I have the Avian X LCD Jake and Hen. Over the past 2 seasons I have had to replace the Stake on my Jake decoy 3 times. This guy has gotten the crap beat out of him on several hunts. 2 on film where multiple birds ganged up on him and broke the stakes.

Note: A broken Carbon Arrow can be cut down as a replacement stake and it's quick and easy. My hen even got beat up on while being bred and had to replace her stake as well. That bird just kept trying to breed her as she rolled around on the ground. Quite funny. Several of these full body type decoys are great in my opinion. DSD & Avian.

20-Apr-15

Mt. man's embedded Photo
Mt. man's embedded Photo
My 4 1/2 yr. old son went out with me this weekend here in Idaho and got a great show.

20-Apr-15
DSD jake has been fantastic for me although I'm sure the Dakota jake and others work equally as well. When I picked up the jake a couple years ago it was a game changer for me. No more shots at birds at 15-30 yards. Everything now is 10 yards or less and the best part is you practically have all day to shoot. Another benefit is if you happen to miss many times you can get off more than one shot as the tom is focused on the decoy. Ask my lovely wife who emptied her quiver on Sunday at two toms. She was out of arrows and they pounded my decoy to death. All she could do is hurl curse words at them and me for laughing! Ha!

20-Apr-15
Did you use the Jake alone or with a hen decoy? I have the DSD Jake and one year I had a tom skirt around it, so I went back to my full strut decoy.

20-Apr-15
How do turkeys pound a decoy to death?

Oh, put out the Dakota jake and a DSD hen this afternoon. The two toms went straight to the jake.

21-Apr-15

I've never seen a Tom/jake pay a hen decoy any attention if I had a jake/tom decoy out. I've killed several over a single hen but if any competition is around it gets all their attention!

A hen was pecking my DSD hen decoy in the head only seconds before this shot (video) was taken of a jake kicking my DSD jake. Seems like both are very competitive.

21-Apr-15
Writer, he certainly didn't look alive anymore with a bent stake and on his back in the mud.

I've never had them come to the hen specifically either. I think I use the hen more for my confidence than for the turkeys! Although I believe the hen decoy does seem to give confidence to other hens. I've had hens stick around a long time by the hen decoy and it's eventually led to a tom coming in to investigate. I've had more than one peck the head as well as weekender said above. Seems like no matter the species, when you get more than one hen in a room looking for a man trouble starts!

21-Apr-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
"I've never seen a Tom/jake pay a hen decoy any attention if I had a jake/tom decoy out."

That might just mean you don't have much experience. This gobbler came right to my DSD upright hen even though I had a DSD breeding pair and feeding hen out also.

21-Apr-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
And this jake just brushed the DSD jake before taking care of business with the submissive hen. Turkeys don't seem very smart, but a posturing jake decoy without a hen present doesn't look natural to me. No doubt the jake will work by itself, but it sure doesn't hurt to have a hen or two out also.

21-Apr-15

joehunter8301's embedded Photo
joehunter8301's embedded Photo
The dsd will outlast any decoy just on pure quality alone. They material is tough. Take a beating and downright works. I don't know about you guys but when it comes to choosing equipment I don't put a price tag on things. I want top quality. A few bucks won't make a big difference but when your in the field quality counts. Would you buy a $50 rest over the $100 qad or trophy taker? In reality the $50 cheapo should get you the same results right. If your serious and want top notch gear I bet you get the better rest. Same with deeks and all my other equip. Hell I even paid $400 for my boots. How many of them cheap decoys u think u can do this to?? :)

21-Apr-15
"That might just mean you don't have much experience."

Wow.

Joe, nobody can debate which decoy is made better or has the best paint job, but I have cheap collapsable decoys 20 years old that have pellet holes, paint pecked off of eyes by hens.

I assume a lot of decoys could take that arrow, just unscrew the head and back the shaft back out...but I'm not gong to try it. :-)

For me, it wasn't the money so much as I won't support rude behavior by giving them money.

Midwest, let me know what antique store that was, and I can sell them a bunch of them....and make it just fine on my digital recorder. :-)

21-Apr-15
Not having enough experience is NOT a put-down. It simply means you might have a different opinion once you've been out long enough to have seen more interactions. He's the one that said ""I've never seen..." like that was definitive. Well, I have seen and recorded.

Pretty good shot placement at that angle, Joe.

21-Apr-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
This Colorado tom walked right by a jake decoy, not paying much attention, and mounted my hen decoy just a few yards away from the jake.

I always like to use a jake or stutter set up right over a hen decoy. Just seems natural and causes an environment for a challenge from the incoming mature tom. Do not care about the jakes coming in anymore until the last day.

21-Apr-15
Joe, Are hen decoys legal to take in the spring in CA? lol

21-Apr-15
"That might just mean you don't have much experience."

TBM, is that you?

Just kidding Ziek, and yes its very possible that I haven't seen enough birds to witness them ignoring the jake and jumping on the hen. I have had several gobblers mount my stuffer hen when I used it alone.

• Sitka Gear