Paul@thefort 21-Apr-15
HUNT MAN 21-Apr-15
CurveBow 22-Apr-15
Bow Crazy 22-Apr-15
RD 22-Apr-15
writer 22-Apr-15
Glunt@work 22-Apr-15
20-Apr-15
Ditch the rubber bands, add chalk, easy on the pressure. I don't use the gobbler side much, but it does do a great jake yelp.

20-Apr-15
Scoot, just use that other call you have, it hasn't let me down yet! I wish I could say the same for my wife's shooting skills this weekend! Ha!

20-Apr-15
scoot, pm sent. help is on the way.

20-Apr-15
Make sure you have the lid chalked up really good. Mine tends to squeak/screech if I don't really coat it. I carry a stick inside the box and give it a quick rubdown at every set up.

As for yelping, the best way I can describe the way I do it is to make a slight upward twisting motion on the lid at the end of each stroke, which helps to give a more abrupt end to the note. It's hard to describe, but you might try that and see if it helps.

I mainly use mine for clucks and cutting. To do that, I'll open the lid part way and then put slight pressure on the lid with my left thumb and tap the lid with my right index finger. This produces a sharp cluck or cut, and you can adjust the volume and aggressiveness by how hard you tap the lid.

I use this a lot mid-morning and on windy days. I've also had a lot of success on toms that are moving and gobbling by moving to within 100-150 yds of them and giving them a few sharp clucks to get their attention, then doing silent. This has been one of my most effective techniques over the last few years. It is really effective later in the season.

Hope that helps.

20-Apr-15
Ditto on what Midwest and nowheels said.

I have this same Lynch box and some others, but prefer the Lynch Fool Proof box call over all of them. It has only one calling side to use plus it has a higher pitch yelp that seems to carry further distance, especially if one has the need to bear down on it in windy conditions.

I have literally called in HUNDREDS of gobblers w/ it! The lid has quite a crack in it for years and I hesitate sending in it for repair. Still sounds and performs great!

20-Apr-15
Those Lynchs are awesome! I agree on the more chalk the merrier.

20-Apr-15
I had a friend sit on my lynch and break it in 1992 and have yet to find a box call that sounded as good.

20-Apr-15
Don't give up on the Lynch. Historically, it's probably brought more turkeys to their doom than about any other call.

I see you're not from a real hotbed of turkey hunting experts, but if you can find one have them try the call. Many times the person running the call has more to do with quality sound than the call they're using.

Pay attention to what Chris sends you, he'll probably fix the problem.

It could be the call isn't lined up right so the lid is rubbing the peak of the lip of the box.

You could be starting the stroke too late or taking it too far, or too early and not far enough.

If it's you, work on mastering the purr. That's the best way to get the "feel" for the call as per pressure, speed and length of the stroke.

Once you're getting perfect purrs, start speeding them up and you'll have yelps. Doing it with your eyes closed helps you concentrate on the feel.

It also may not be sounding as bad as you think. To find out, put a tape recorder across the yard and give the call a try. Better, take it to the country and call from about 30 yards away so your sound's not bouncing off of buildings.

By the way, I've been running the same Lohman since the guy who was putting them together at the factory thought he had something special in 2000.

It hasn't been chalked since it left the factory, and never will as long as I'm using it. Several really good hunters I know don't chalk their box calls, either.

Hang in there.

21-Apr-15
"...put a tape recorder across the yard..."

I saw one of those in an antique store once! lol

21-Apr-15
Funny, I have a Lynch also, but it doesn't sound as good to me as the box call the NWTF gave to all us sponsors about 20 years ago. It sits on my bookcase, but every now and then, when I walk by, I'll pick it up and give a few yelps. Still sounds as good as ever ! Haven't used the Lynch in years. Slate and diaphram for me.

21-Apr-15
I have a fool proof and it has called in many birds for me and people who I have guided. Best box call made in my opinion. Not even a close second. I have had guys offer me a lot of money for it after they collect their bird. I find it easier to use than the WC. Lynch jet slate is also hard to beat.

21-Apr-15
OH man!. Does this bring back good memories of my old but now gone Lynch. Killed my first 30 years ago, and the next 5 toms in North Carolina, Michigan and a few in Colorado.

I almost cried when I sat and then cracked the box. I tried to repair by gluing but the sound was never the same. Should have sent it back to the company for maybe a replacement but never did.

Today I use a chalkless box call for any weather condition but sort of miss the chalking except on a wet day.

21-Apr-15
Paul thats oddly funny because I have a Lynch call that I cracked the same exact way, over 20 years ago. Because of that crack it took on a whine in its tone and has become known as "the love machine" by my hunting buddies, because it seems to make the turkeys gobble more often than their box calls. Their are alot of thing you can do to make a bad sounding box call sound better. They are, in some ways, like instruments in that they each have their own individual sound and can be tuned to certain extent. Also like an instrument, the musician has alot to do with how they sound. However some lids will never match up and therefore never sound like you want. You can pick up two identical box calls made from the same material by the same craftsman and they won't even be close to sounding the same. Many places let you "test drive" the calls first before you buy them. If you know what tone you are looking for try as many as you can until you find the one that matches that tone

21-Apr-15
no problem Scott... good luck with it and I feel with a little practice it will be effective for you!

21-Apr-15
Scott, maybe you got this tip from Chris as well but this works for me if running a box (which admittedly I seldom do anymore). I hold the call with the handle facing away from me. Seems like I can control it better and get better sound than if I hold it facing me, just feels better to me. Also a light grip on the bottom rim of the call helps the sound. You'll get her dialed in!

21-Apr-15
Similar advise as above. The pitch on any box call can be effected by how one grips the call.

A light grip on just the bottom rim seems to be the best BUT if one needs to "tone down" the sound, applying slight pressure to the side will accomplish this.

I also like facing the handle way from me and with light pressure, with the handle between two fingers, give the box a few light to medium strokes.

I always like the rubber bands as I could "gobble" on the box call. Now I use a gobble shaker.

My best, paul.

21-Apr-15
This was my first box call. Thanks for the memories . HUNT

22-Apr-15
I still have my Lynch's World Champion box call and LOVE it! Yes, you have to keep it chalked, but it is my go-to call every time. I use a diaphragm for the close in work. I use the LWC as a gobble call with the rubber bands on and by shaking it on occasion. I have tried many slate calls and get them to work at home, but they fail miserably in the field every time. The slates are now just clutter in my vest.

I recently saw the LWC call in a store and was tempted to buy it, but why - the old one that's at least 30 years old works just fine!

>>>>-------->

22-Apr-15
I bought mine in 1990 and it's still going strong. It was my first turkey hunting season, the second call I bought that spring. It has been in my vest on every turkey hunt I've been on. All the hunts of mine, my buddies, my two boys. It has been through a lot and it still sounds awesome!

I took the rubber bands off a long time ago. I use a Green Bay Packer (Livestrong) bracelet to keep the lid from making unwanted noises while not in use. I keep a piece of chalk inside for easy access.

When I die it will be one of the things my boys fight over. The other will be my Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag my wife, their mother, bought for me as a wedding present in 1992. BC

22-Apr-15
A friend won one at an MBI banquet in the early 70's and gave it to me as she said she would never turkey hunt. I started turkey hunting the next spring and every year after and have used it every year since including yesterday to bring a tom in for my brother. It's a great call that I hope to pass on to my grandson when I go. Can't begin to tell you how many birds have fallen to it's sweet tunes over the years. Keep practicing, it'll be good to you!

22-Apr-15
Twenty years ago, I hunted with an old barber in Alabama who had a Lynch box he'd bought at the local hardware store when he was young and just getting into turkey hunting.

It still had the price tag on it for something like $3.

He hardly made more than three yelps in a sequence and could make the sweetest-sounding single yelp I've ever heard.

22-Apr-15
First call I ever bought was a Lynches Fool Proof 101. I would put a notch in the base every time it called in a bird that was taken. Most were from calling for buddies and the notches go down the length of one side and around the bottom. I haven't carried it much the last few years as I like using slates & diaphragm calls, but its a sweet sounding call. Mine cracked as well early on but sounds great.

• Sitka Gear