Trophy8 24-Apr-15
Pyrannah 23-Sep-15
Fisher 23-Sep-15
Keadog 25-Sep-15
Wapitidung 25-Sep-15
wilbur 25-Sep-15
Pyrannah 25-Sep-15
21-Apr-15
I've been doing some research and have found that you are supposed to shoot a wrist strap with all back tension and NOT using the finger to engage the release.

I've tried with my current scott release but I believe it is to sensitive and has trigger creep as well.

What would be a good release to buy to really spend the time on how to shoot properly? I REALLY want to make this shooting change but I don't think my current release is up for the task..

Thanks

21-Apr-15
Carter 2 shot if you want 0 trigger travel.

21-Apr-15
I use a Scott Little Goose. Increase the tension on the trigger and shorten the release so that the trigger is deeper in to your finger. Mine is between the 1st and 2nd joint.

21-Apr-15
I switched to a thumb release and it was the best move I could have made!!!

21-Apr-15
My scotts can not increase tension only trigger travel which sucks... ill see which ones they are tonight...

The 2 shot looks good! I was originally thinking "like mike" but they are too expensive

21-Apr-15
Some of the best hunter-shooters I know use the Carter Like Mike. I use a TruBall (only release I've ever used) but am considering switching to the Carter after talking with them about it.

21-Apr-15
I shoot a TRU Ball ShortNSweet and really like it. It has a firm enough pull and no trigger creep. I shoot it totally from back tension. I also like the strap it uses rather than a rod like many releases. Makes it easy to get out of the way by folding it under my sleeve when I am hunting and need to use my hand for something.

As JLS said be sure to set the trigger so it is at least in the 1st joint. I actually shoot mine with the trigger in the 2nd joint. Many years ago I switched to using my middle finger rather than the trigger finger. I seems easier for me to relax that hand easier with that finger.

The ShortNSweet comes with either a straight trigger or a sweptback design. I shoot the straight one because it fits my anchor point and loop the best.

I am sure there are other good ones but I would be sure to get one with a reasonable hard trigger pull as well as no creep!

21-Apr-15
"I was originally thinking "like mike" but they are too expensive"

It may be more expensive than most, but a Like Mike is worth every penny. It's certainly your choice, but I wouldn't exclude something that could be a game changer based solely on a few dollars. If you're able, do yourself a favor and shoot one so you can compare the difference with other releases. There is absolutely ZERO trigger travel. The release is so crisp, it's been described as breaking glass. I can assure you, that's a very accurate description.

Regardless of what release you decide on, it's imperative to do as JLS recommends. Position your finger on the trigger so that your fingertip is nowhere near the trigger!

21-Apr-15
good point wyo!

What are the differences in the 2 shot and the like mike? Why $70 less expensive? When I looked at the 2 shot instructions it specifically talks abut shooting it with back tension only. The instructions do not talk about the shooting technique at all on the like mike.

thanks for all the input

21-Apr-15
I shot a carter just b cuz (thumb trigger) for a while. I found that I shot ok but could punch the trigger quite a bit.

I used the Carter Like Mike, Rx1, and lucky. All great hunting releases. Some of the ones that have magnets I had issues with when being in the dirt hunting.

For true shot developement the Hamskea Break thru is a pull through release that teaches you proper back tension.

I now use the Hamskea droptine (index finger) release. I really like that for hunting. No magnets so can't mess up in the field. Big hook

21-Apr-15
Pyrannah, I've never shot a 2 shot, so I couldn't tell you the difference. Call Carter Enterprises at (208) 624-3467 and talk to Forrest. He'll answer any questions you might have. I will tell you that I shot an Rx2 for awhile. It falls between the 2 shot and Like Mike as far as price. Although I liked the short head, every once in a while I'd feel just a little give in the trigger before it fired. That's why I tried the Like Mike, and I couldn't be more pleased.

You can use back tension to shoot ANY release, but the one thing that can't be overstated is this...YOU MUST DEVELOP A SURPRISE RELEASE!!! That said, it doesn't matter HOW you achieve it, but you MUST achieve it to maximize your accuracy potential. Once you do, you are in control of the shot, rather than the other way around. Many people utilize strictly back tension to fire a release simply because it's arguably the easiest way to develop a surprise release. However, many people also use thumb and index finger releases as well. If you utilize a slow, controlled finger squeeze to fire your release, there are two very critical things that must be kept in mind in order to maintain that surprise release. First, there can be absolutely ZERO trigger travel before the release fires. That's why I shoot a Like Mike. Otherwise, you'll start anticipating the shot, which can very quickly lead to major problems. Secondly, as mentioned before, keep that sensitive fingertip away from the trigger! The bottom edge of the trigger sits in the crease of my first joint, so the pad between my first and second joint is what actually sits on the front face of the trigger. Best of luck, regardless of what you decide to do!

21-Apr-15
Love my "Like Mike" it can go really short and you can engage with your middle joint of your ring finger

Can set both travel and weight.

I just engage it and pull through by tightening my back muscles. Works great and worth every penny.

I put my hinge and thumb realease away (actually still shoot them both just to break things up) The like mike blows my Carter Insatiable(thumb release) away.

21-Apr-15
Switched to a thumb release four years ago and haven't looked back. Whatever you're comfortable with I guess

21-Apr-15
Carter Like Mike for me too. Until tonight, it was my backup release.

Read this thread and decided to shoot a few arrows.

Have the release adjusted so my finger wraps around the trigger.

High quality release that is very crisp on trigger

21-Apr-15
Scott little goose with a spring trigger using 2nd knuckle.

21-Apr-15
The "Like Mike" is a hook, the 2 shot is not. The triggers are different as well as the body size of the release. You can shoot the 2 shot off the string as well.

No doubt the "Like Mike" is a good release, its just that I have been shooting the 2 shot for some time now and haven't found a reason to change. Tried the "quickie" for a while, but did not like the trigger creep, that and the tension springs were a pain to change. Both the 2 shot and Like Mike are shear pin design which cut out any trigger travel.

A nice feature of both is you can really get your finger around the trigger without fear of it going off...unless you happen to set the trigger to light. Medium to heavy trigger set will lead to a better surprise release.

21-Apr-15
carter quicky is also an exceptional release.

21-Apr-15
I use a carter 2 shot and a carter quickie, great triggers that can be set very heavy with different springs.

21-Apr-15
No such thing as zero travel in a mechanically activated release.

22-Apr-15
As others have stated the 2 Shot and the Like Mike or the best releases made for the index finger shooter. Both have a zero "perceived" travel trigger and a cocking mechanism. The 2 shot has a large quite obvious cocking mechanism that is similar to a good thumb release mechanism. The Like Mike has a small cocking mechanism that almost would go unnoticed. Both releases are double seared and allow for shots to break consistently regardless of holding weight. The main difference in the way they operate is that the Carter 2 Shot has interchangeable springs and the Like Mike does not. I have owned a 2 Shot and my daughter is currently shooting the Like Mike. If I were a trigger shooter I would pick either of these releases and would probably buy the first one I found used online regardless of model. They are both great.

22-Apr-15

Bowboy's Link
I really like the Ringer release from No Limit Archery. it's activated by your ring finger.

22-Apr-15
thanks for all of the good information

I think bow freak laid out the plan pretty well for me.. I'm leaning to the like mike though...

hopefully, i can put all this together and get my shooting back..

22-Apr-15
quick follow up question...

how hard should you have to squeeze the back muscles in order to engage the release? The finger doesn't slide right? where does pressure on the release actually come form?

22-Apr-15
The pressure comes from your finger. I am actively pulling the against string when my release goes off.

It's really important that your draw length is not too long in order to make this work right.

After reading all of this, I might have to be Like Mike also!

22-Apr-15
i actually just picked up a 2 shot for 52 bucks.. i'm going to play with this one for a little while and i am also going to watch for a deal on a used like mike if i can find one..

I've tried shooting like this with my other releases, but they were so light and had creep, i had trouble not punching it.. hopefully this will work a bit better....

22-Apr-15
Pyrannah,

Start practicing just shooting on a string bow (a piece of string that you tie to your specific draw length). This will allow you to learn proper form without the mental confusion of a bow.

Here is Michael Braden shooting a 2 shot with a heavy spring

22-Apr-15
Bowfreak...the 2 shot spring is only used to close the release, the trigger operates by shear pin. Unless they have changed?

22-Apr-15
If that is the type of release that you want to use, you can't go wrong with the Like Mike.

22-Apr-15
By changing the springs on the 2 shot you can get different weight triggers. The spring affects the cocking mechanism which affects the amount of tension you apply to the trigger to make it fire. Michael Braden had super heavy springs in his and teaches this methods to his students. You can do the same thing with the Like Mike with a wrench.

22-Apr-15
I used to have a Like Mike. I gave it to a sweet little girl with the cutest southern accent. :-)

22-Apr-15
Maybe I’m just not that sophisticated of a shooter, but I really can't imagine a crisper and lighter trigger than my Scott Shark.

I switched from tru-fire and turball because of the long trigger travel high lbs trigger pull.

22-Apr-15
hey bernie, i just checked, that is what i have as well.. they have some trigger creep and you are correct they are light, and that is what i want to get away from. I want a heavier and crisper break...

i think the two primary ones should fit the bill nicely.. we'll see though

22-Apr-15
Pyrannah, I have never tried to set the Scott triggers up for a heaver break point, I set it up as light as possible...to each their own I guess. I think of it like I’m shooting a sniper rifle, light and crisp.

22-Apr-15
the scotts can only adjust trigger travel... as long as it is working for you well, keep at it my man!! They are not working for me anymore and i have to move on.. i have two for sale if you are interested!!! lol

thanks

22-Apr-15
Pm sent

22-Apr-15
I shot Scotts for years. Dual and single caliper. I really liked them. Used the Wolf for the last 2 years I was using Scotts. I ask a several guys I really respect as hunters and shooters what they used. I had some common answers. Spot Hogg Wise Guy and a couple different Carter Releases. I traded into a Carter handle type thumb Release and couldn't believe how sweet the trigger was but think I would touch it off in a hunting situation. Or worrying about it would casue me problems anyway. I since have bought the Wise Guy as well as Carter Like Mike and RX2 releases. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them as they all are awesome with sweet triggers. As for which of the new one's I like the best, I havent made up my mind on that yet. I liked the Wolf better than any of the other Scotts I had used but now that I've used these, I doubt I'd go back. If I did I'd try the Silverhorn as i really like these hook type for hunting....quieter.

22-Apr-15

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo

22-Apr-15
Nice!!!

23-Apr-15
Bowfreak...I checked with Carter. The 2 shot does not have a spring adjustment for the trigger.

As i mentioned before, the spring is used to close the release, the set screw on the trigger is to adjust trigger movement.

I believe you are referring to the RX2, which is what Michael Braden help develop and shoots.

23-Apr-15
Scott shark hands down

23-Apr-15
Been shooting a Carter RX2 for years now. It's set as short as possible on the wrist strap so the trigger is in the middle joint of my ring finger. I have the trigger set stiff and use back tension to set it off. I love this release and wouldn't use anything else.

23-Apr-15
Bou, have u shot other ones? Do u shoot the shark with back tension or squeeze it like a rifle?

23-Apr-15
Trophy8,

I am not sure what is up with Carter but the 2 shot has a spring inside that you can change. You can get heavier ones and the effect the trigger weight. I promise you 100%. I owned one and did the very same thing as Michael Braden. Added heavy spring and shot it like he did in the video above. Not nearly as well as Michael Braden but I did try.

You can google it or follow this link where I and others talked about this many years ago. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=632803 Carter 2 shot spring question

23-Apr-15
Trophy8,

Also...I never said it had a spring adjustment. I just said you get different trigger weights by changing the spring. Didn't know MB helped design the RX2 but I did know he helped with the Like Mike....hence the name.

23-Apr-15
Bowfreak....Your are correct concerning the spring on the 2 shot, I stand corrected. Spoke with Carter again today,guess there was some miscommunication/terminology on my part.

What is different with the 2 shot vs for example the quickie...with the 2 shot, the trigger mechanism must be dis-assembled to change out the spring.

All is good, but after 15yrs, one of my 2 shot's needs some maintains work. ie...new spring...lol

Pyrannah...did your release come today?

23-Apr-15
All you need is widely adjustable trigger tension, IMO, if you want to shoot with back tension and learn to shoot with BT with a finger trigger. You can start with really heavy tension, then back off a little once you really get BT down. Yeah, Scott makes one with slightly heavy tension, but you really need it adjustable and over a wide range- from almost zero to eight pounds! Here is another vote for CARTER, and good for you for striving to do this right. Here in the NW, the standard method is to float your pin on the target, and then quickly creep your finger up and punch the crap out of the trigger. It's a way to cheat target panic, and tons of guys have actually gotten good at it. Spot Hogg and others have made releases specifically for this technique, with ultra-light triggers, but you are light years ahead by shooting with BT!!! IMO.

23-Apr-15
been shooting a scott little goose its been great shooting has improved

23-Apr-15
Trophy it should be here tomorrow.. it is supposed to come with the heavy spring as well.. im excited to check it out..

on another note a like mike came for sale yesterday for 65. It was gone within a hour and i missed it!! Oh well... ill shoot thus one for awhile..

thanks dave!! I hope i can get it down!! Im sure ill have some follow up questions though...

24-Apr-15
Trophy8,

No worries man. Did you send your 2 shot in or are you working on it yourself?

24-Apr-15
Got it in the mail!!

Did some shots on bow as it was setup.. Could not stop punching the trigger!!! So, took the site off and still had issues, but my last shot was a complete surprise and scared the shit out of me!! lol.. shot one or two more times, couldn't get it right again..

So, i made a string the same as my draw length and started practicing on that only.. got it down! Went back to my bow and i still punch it every now and again but the most important thing to me is I CAN get this down and i can see how it will help so much...

The other issue i am seeing in my shooting form is that upon a complete surprise release my bow arm swings to the left (right handed shooter). I would think i would want it to go straight forward right? I guess i am not pulling with all back muscles?? Thoughts?

Thanks guys Ben

24-Apr-15
Bowfreak...Have to send it in. There is no real change in trigger play when adjusting the set screw. I know I need to replace the spring, but it's possible the shear pins might be worn down. I've had the one for at least 12yrs. That's why you always have at least 2. lol

Pyrannah...try shooting close to a target with your eyes closed. Just work on slowly pulling back on the release.

How is your finger located on the trigger, 1st or 2nd joint? Better results are often on the 2nd. Don't be afraid to lay your finger on the trigger...your hand should be relaxed with your trigger finger having some tension on the trigger. As you start your shot you will slightly increase pressure on the trigger.

Make sure your bow hand is relaxed all the way through the shot. Slow and steady!

23-Sep-15
so my shooting has GREATLY improved... thanks for all the help!!

follow up question/concern: so since i focuse soo much on pin placement now i can never see the arrrow flight.

i shot a doe the other evening and i didnt see the arrow hit. i knew the shot was good and arrow evidence confirmed it, along with hewring the crash but im concerned i cant see arrow impact...

how do you see the impact?

23-Sep-15
Spot Hogg.

25-Sep-15
Interesting thread I have used a Classic Caliper Power Grip with the straps cut off for a long, long time. I hook it on the bow and don't have to deal with a wrist strap banging into things or trying to hook on the D loop before a shot. Problem is, they have been out of production for years. I have 3, but I know one day.... I would only want one that hooks on the D loop with closed jaws - no wrist strap. I tried a Chappie Boss a few years ago and punched myself in the nose while shooting the house with an arrow.

25-Sep-15
Carter Chocolate Lite Thumb release

25-Sep-15
Open both eyes when you shoot.

25-Sep-15
they are Wilbur... gonna try some different colored fletching

thanks though!

• Sitka Gear