RightWing 01-May-15
MDW 02-May-15
deerman406 03-May-15
JimG 06-May-15
HighLife 06-May-15
mark land 06-May-15
tradmt 06-May-15
21-Apr-15
I was thinking about getting into bow fishing and somebody I know recommended Oneida. Anybody use these bows? Thoughts?

21-Apr-15
If you get one will you have to change your handle?

I have one that I use for hunting, like it, it is old just like me and not hard to work on.

Terry

21-Apr-15
Smoothest bow you'll ever shoot. I have a kestrel and a bowtech prodigy. Kestrel, smooth drawing and accurate. Prodigy is faster, accurate but not as smooth.

21-Apr-15
I used to shoot them for years. They have a bit of a cult following.....all guys that have never had the bottom limb pin your joystick against your inner thigh.

Thankfully that has never happened to me. I've never seen an Onieda you can set and forget-tinkering involved. The new ones are supposed to be a bit more bulletproof.

The new fish bows are just as good, IMO...no hassle, more compact and cheap....

21-Apr-15
I have one....an old one. Very, very smooth shooting, but they're a bit heavy.

22-Apr-15

60X Strings's Link
they are super popular for bowfishing and do have a special following.

22-Apr-15
Call Claude. They have a try before you buy. Get the osprey. I believe that is there bow fishing rig.

24-Apr-15

Hugh's embedded Photo
Hugh's embedded Photo
Well I have about 12 of them total between the kids the wife and my fishbow, hunting bows, target bows and collectables. My hunting bow hasn't been touched in terms anything coming loose in at least two years. I change the string yearly and the cables after around 5000 shots or every 2-3 years.

As far as a fishing bow, you cant go wrong with an Oneida. I have a Black Eagle that I had set up with stainless steel hardware and I shoot off a Whisker Bisquit.

You can get a used Screaming Eagle on Ebay for $150 or go all the way up to a new Osprey. They are super easy to tune(new ones) and cheap to maintain. The fish attached was 7'4" and shot with that Black Eagle

25-Apr-15
I guess for fishing perfect cause if it drops to the bottom of the lake no big loss :> I own two sitting collecting dust i find them heavy and awkward!

25-Apr-15
Hugh you must really Luke eating gar to take a big one like that!

26-Apr-15
City, I had a few dust collectors also. Give them away to Bowsiters like I did. There are guys who want to use them. No sense letting them collect dust when others want to use them. That's my opinion anyway. I shipped out three Oneida's last month.

26-Apr-15
arctihill i would but they belonged to my best friends who passed away so they stay with me ! One day i will hunt with them !

26-Apr-15
Now that's a FISH.

27-Apr-15
A 50#ish recurve under 60" makes about the best fishing bow you can get. Easy to find used and cheap but they dont work as well for a boat anchor as the Oneida.

27-Apr-15
Guess you guys that call them heavy need to eat your Wheaties.

28-Apr-15
Hugh your right , I've shot Oneidas since the 1980s...Screaming Eagle, Strike Eagle, C.P. Oneida Black Eagle...Never get rid of them...

30-Apr-15
Or maybe we need to eat more gar! :)

Thats one hell of a fish Hugh.

How much does one of these Oneidas weigh? I haven't picked up a compound that wasn't heavy.

01-May-15
Oneidas have won more bowfishing tournaments than all other brands combined. Used Oneidas are reselling for more than most costed new, especially the old models bring nearly double what they cost new in the 90s..

But, if you want to use them as anchors, go ahead..... But folks in the know, can make a good dollar off them.

02-May-15
Did you see the gar pic in the news last week? Some guy snagged a gator gar, took pictures, weighed it then released it. Sorry , can't find the info this morning.

03-May-15
I agree with getting a recurve. A recurve under 60"s and anything 45-55#s is perfect. Shawn

06-May-15
You guys giving Oneida bows a bad rap obviously have never had one properly tuned. I have owned two which were both stolen from me. There are no smoother pulling bows out there. They may not be as fast as some bows that cause erratic movement from the shooter when they break over the cams but recurves aren't that fast either. They are great for wing shooting also. I wish I had my bows back. Bows used in bow fishing take a beating and the Oneidas hold up well.

JimG

06-May-15
Sold my first one (Big Mistake!) Bought a used one to replace one sold Smart decision! enough said.

06-May-15
Onieda Osprey absolutely the best bowfishing bow out there INHO, all the serious and major bowfishermen I shoot and hang with use them!

06-May-15
"Used Oneidas are reselling for more than most costed new, especially the old models bring nearly double what they cost new in the 90s.."

Another good reason to pick up an ebay recurve.

Model T's resell for a lot more than their sticker also, but that doesn't make them the best car.

I'm sure the Onieda makes a great fishing bow but does it really take a lot to make a 'great' fishing bow? My recurve is 56" AMO (53" tip to tip strung) 60# at 28", outfitted with an AMS retriever and with the arrow weighs less than 3#. If your heart is set on an Onieda then by all means go forth and enjoy.

• Sitka Gear