Keef 24-Apr-15
mnjen 26-Apr-15
David A. 26-Apr-15
Charlie Rehor 26-Apr-15
c3 26-Apr-15
Seahorse 26-Apr-15
49°+North 26-Apr-15
21-Apr-15
I'm looking for a camera in this price range. I'd like something that has TV quality video. Any suggestions?

21-Apr-15
Canon G30

21-Apr-15
Canon eos rebel t5i. Great 1080p video, and is a dslr too. and God knows how many lens options.

Maybe a used campbell somewhere?

21-Apr-15
Go with a DSLR. You get the best of both worlds and are much more flexible in your setup. You might try out the Canon 70D with a couple different lenses.

21-Apr-15
What kind of filming do you plan to do? For stand hunting DSLR is the better option. For western style hunting I would agree with a prosumer like the Canon G30 that was mentioned.

22-Apr-15
We'll be doing stand and spot and stalk hunting.

22-Apr-15
Self filming or will you have someone to run the camera? IMO a DSLR can be more of a handful when self filming especially if you are not very familiar with the camera.

22-Apr-15

c3's Link
Panasonic WX970 4K UHD @30p and HD @60p $1000 camcorder Panasonic X920 Full HD @60p $750 camcorder Panasonic LX100 $750 4K and 60p pocketable stills cam Panasonic FZ1000 stills, 4K UHD and HD @60p $720

I'm a huge fan of the Panasonics these days. The price, zoom range, image quality circle is always higher with these cams.

I started on a Panasonic TM700 camcorder. It was the first to come out with 1080-60p HD and filmed amazing stuff with it.

Since I moved to DSLR's and at first was with Canon's, but the image quality vs weight and cost is just not even close to what you get with the latest Panasonic GH4 that I own.

Here's a sample that is 2/3rds a Panasonic G6 DSLR and 1/3rd with the TM700 The 3:30 mark on is where some of the amazing cougar and elk video is almost all with the TM700. The new WX970 is way better and definitely the way to go if you want one cam to do it all. Totally possible to film hand held in the heat of the moment. I kept mine at the ready all the time in a little pouch attached to my shoulder strap of my pack. I'm about to pull the trigger on the WX970 as the DSLR's are just too heavy with all the lenses and too hard to get out and film when it counts.

100 days from pete carney on Vimeo.

Just my $0.02 Any way you slice it up it's a great time to be getting into camera's and filming regardless of what you buy. Just remember to bring it and get turned on. That's why the camcorders are so awesome. They are tiny and can film amazing detail in the palm of your hand.

Cheers, Pete

22-Apr-15
Great piece of video work Pete . Also the camera / camcorder info . Much appreciated .

Fantastic Video !!!

22-Apr-15
Check out reviews on video cameras by the camera geeks. They do a pretty thorough job and compare the top brands.

23-Apr-15
I second the comment, great work. Thanks for the advice.

23-Apr-15
Canon XA10

23-Apr-15

c3's Link
The Canon XA10, doesn't have 1080-60p recording to do slow motion. It also only has 10x optical zoom lenses and have less than half the reach of the Panasonics. (snip of some pete bs)

Great image quality on the canon's, but they can't compare with the content you can get with the higher frame rate and longer reach.

Here's a sample from hunting with BB in Wyoming of the slow motion you get with 1080-60p on the TM700. Skip to the 5:30 point to see me filming the critter with the TM700 and the 6:25 point to see the slow motion. https://vimeo.com/103165770

All the long range stuff and in the blind of us was filmed with a Canon T3i DSLR and some stupid expensive lenses you can see at the beginning with Jr sleeping. Makes for a pretty cool video though.

I don't work for Panasonic or get any of my gear at a discount. I buy all of it retail and have just learned what brings the best image for the dollar.

Cheers, Pete

edit - the new G30 and XA20 have 1080-60p and 20x zooms. Those might be worth a look too.

23-Apr-15
I took c3's advice a couple years ago and bought a used Panasonic TM700 on Ebay. I did not want to lug the back pack thing with all the gear needed so I went light and mobile. I use a folding bow hanger now as my tree arm or keep the camera in my right hand coat pocket. The XA10 is excellent but as mentioned only has 10 power. They do make an XA20 now. Good Luck Keef! Charlie

23-Apr-15

49°+North's Link
I am packing a Canon 70D. I don't care for the look of a camcorder, that is why I went with a DSLR. Though a DSLR has draw backs: two hand operation, uses a lot of card space, loud, built in sound sucks, etc.

The positives are: post production options are great! No video look, shallow depth of field, etc.

Here is a video I did for my buddy.

23-Apr-15
Nice one Dave !!!

Do you know if the 70D has the 3x zoom function like the T3i did? What lenses are you using? That cam definitely has the best autofocus of any of the DSLR's.

Cheers, Pete

23-Apr-15
I think the XA20 is $2500.

I am sure the Panasonic is a good choice as well.

Zoom is an issue with the XA10, but I live with it.

23-Apr-15
Thanks Pete. The 70D does not have the 3x zoom. The autofocus is tremendous, that is why I purchased it. I am using the kit 18-135mm lense.

I would like to have both a video camera and a dslr, but budget constraints prevents that, as it is just a hobby.

At the end of the day I would recommend a video camera for the ease of use. If one goes with a DSLR be prepared to learn and buy extra gear.

24-Apr-15
You are certainly gifted Pete

Thanks for sharing some photo footage

Good luck, Robb

24-Apr-15
Great video work. Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.

26-Apr-15
Well you guys have got me thinking again about filming my own hunts. Once again after reading your thread I am at a stand still. I found some reviews of the Panasonic WX970 compared with the latest Sony. The only knock they had on the Wx970 was the Sony would be a better fit in low light situations. The Wx970 was lacking in that area. From a bow hunters point of view shooting under low light conditions is a must. The video's in this thread are really nice but I wonder how the Panasonic does in low light situations. Of course the Sony was said to be of better video quality but didn't have the zoom of the Wx970 and was twice the weight. This is where I always end up. I want a camera that has good zoom, good low light video, works remotely, small, good battery life and has some large gig capacity. There doesn't seem to be a camera like that for $1000. Maybe I am being to picky and worrying to much that I will make the wrong choice. It seems I have been trying to make this decision the past 5 years!

26-Apr-15
A bit outside your price range except possibly used is the Sony A7s. Anyone considering filming very low light video such as common for many games species should look at this video. This camera can film in near darkness at a shocking high level of light sensitivity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RyiS-mrp1c

26-Apr-15
mnjen: With the Panasonic TM700 the quality zoom goes to 18x and I can get right up to legal shoot time in most conditions. I use the little tiny Muddy camera arm which slips right over the folding tree arm. This rig has me to about 3 pounds so it's minimal weight to bring on every hunt! Good Luck! C

PS: When it all works properly the memories are forever!

26-Apr-15
Jon, it's a can of worms. Don't go there !!! ...and then you do and then it's the next lens, then the next tripod then the next... hahahahahha

Low light ability of a camera is somewhat proportional to the size of the sensor. Camcorders have tiny sensors. DSLR's have and order of magnitude better low light ability. It's just a whole nother spectrum.

The A7s David mentioned is another order of magnitude again vs. anything ever made before. It is just otherworldly the lack of light it can film in.

With the DSLR's their low light ability is greatly influenced by the lenses you use. The price for those goes up exponentially as well. Just be warned to truly get them (DSLR's) to work well, you will have to spend some serious cash on lenses.

Here's another sample with a Panasonic G6 and an Olympus 17mm f/1.7 lens on some evening - night fishing with my youngest son and some buddies. https://vimeo.com/98615031

This setup cost me $1100 or so and at that point has zero zoom reach. It's about as cheap as you can go with a DSLR and a 'fast' lens. You'll need at least two more lenses from there to film wildlife and hunts. It's a few grand to get into this sort of thing as soon as you go down that road.

In the end of the day I choose to go down that road and have sunk a ton into it, but I love it and won't do a single thing differently in hindsight.

Camcorders are for the heat of the moment action and versatility. DSLR's are about the art and great stills to go with your video, but come at a hefty price in more ways than cash.

Cheers, Pete

26-Apr-15
I bought a point-n-shoot camera and a video cam. in the past few years. There are SO many models out now, it is a huge undertaking doing the research. DO NOT trust the manufacturers stats. The image quality can be extremely different on "similar" models. I looked around the store with the model that caught my eye and it looked great. Then I picked up another "identical" model from another manufacturer and the image quality was stunning. I would have had no idea the difference if I hadn't had both models in my hands at the same time. You really must handle the one you want, and compare it to your "second choice" before you decide. You can't read in a manual how the image will turn out. My video cam. is wonderful at taking movies and has more options than I will ever use or understand. The footage is vivid and rich in true colors. However, I took it out to film the kids sledding...useless! Having no viewfinder, the mini screen is TOTALLY invisible in bright light. You can't film what you can't see. And, you have no idea this will happen, even if you check it out (inside) the store.

26-Apr-15
c3 thanks for the info. You are right, it adds up quick!

• Sitka Gear