Mad_Angler 30-Apr-15
Eagle_eye_Andy 30-Apr-15
TD 30-Apr-15
ben yehuda 01-May-15
willliamtell 01-May-15
Mad_Angler 13-May-15
deerman406 13-May-15
23-Apr-15
I used a heads up decoy turkey hunting. It was awesome. I was able to crawl on my knees to within 20-30 yards of 3 different flocks.

But crawling was a pain in the knees. I ran into rocks and thorns. It got old quick.

So, what do folks use for knee pads while hunting? Volleyball pads, basketball pads, contractor pads from home depot, etc?

23-Apr-15
I bought a small pair of volleyball knee pads, underarmour brand. They are small enough to wear under pants. They're handy.

23-Apr-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
The Sika Mt pants have built in removable knee pads which I really like.

I have tried a few commercial pads, even military, from hard to soft padding and all seem to have some benefits.

The soft/rubber seems the best as they give a nice soft, comfortable feel while walking forward on the knees. But then, some of the harder pads may work in other hunting situation.

23-Apr-15
I've been trying to look for some too. I have a pair of Crocs knee pads, but they just have straps and are uncomforatable because they bunch up the fabric. I have a pair of Ol' Tom turkey pants that have pads that fit inside the knees, but I'm short, the pants are kind of long so the top of the pad is just below my knee cap. So good in theory, but poor in execution.

I just think knee pads in general aren't used because the vast majority are uncomfortable. Either they bunch up fabric behind your knees or they cause excessive sweating.

23-Apr-15

note knee pads. Some slide better and I like the ones outside of the pants as they protect the cloth knee area but then might have to be adjusted along the way.

23-Apr-15

Mountain pants with built in reinforced knee pads.

I agree that some of the straps that hold the pads to the knees can be uncomfortable behind the knee, especially if only one strap. So consider two straps when looking. Again, the rubber pads with the soft rubber insert are the most comfortable on the knees and I believe a pair is less than $20.

Also if the rubber straps happen to break, I make extra straps can be made from old tire inter tubes and have a couple along as spares in the backpack..

My best, Paul

23-Apr-15
They might be a pain to wear sometimes but their WAY BETTER than a knee full of cactus. Tough leather gloves are another item to consider.

23-Apr-15
I have some similar to Paul's, made of tough closed-cell foam.

All my Core4Element pants have great removeable kneepads, but as mentioned, that doesn't protect the outer fabric. More for kneeling to shoot.

23-Apr-15
Lowes has rather inexpensive knee pads they come in camo also.

23-Apr-15
Buy some Blackhawk knee pads on amazon for $20.... they work great!

23-Apr-15
I heard that Kiui has a new pants with knee pads integrated

23-Apr-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
Been using some for bow hunting turkeys since 2006. I don't use blinds, so I kneel a lot while waiting for a shot. I bought mine at Home Depot. They work great and save the knees.

23-Apr-15
Well--with 2 new artificial knees my kneeling and crawling days are over--(according to my surgeon). Hopefully he is wrong.

23-Apr-15
I have enough gear now, and yes I hate wet knees, but never even thought to use knee pads. I carry one of those fanny seats to kneel on. And my knees are shot after 30 yrs as a mechanic.

23-Apr-15
I wear the same ones I use for my annual job review.

24-Apr-15

BULELK1's Link
I am on my second pair of these---

They have no plastic so they have been very quiet when stalking/crawling in rocky terrain.

Good luck, Robb

24-Apr-15
I have a pair like Bowme2 which I also got at Home Depot. I stillhunt and I wear them all the time for hunting. They are definately a "don't leave home without them item".

An added bonus for my 63 year old knees is that it helps keep those old joints WARM, which as I age is becoming a very important factor for my joints!

24-Apr-15
Thanks BULELK1! Those look like the bees knees.

24-Apr-15
I like those also.

It looks like there is not "hard" surface on the outer knee area.

Is that an issue with them wearing out too fast in that area?

Other than that, looks good.

Paul

24-Apr-15
Sitka Mountain pants for me. I tried volleyball pads for a couple years and wasn't a fan. Going into my 5th season with the same set of Mountain pants. I've crossed hundreds of barbed wire fences and crawled for miles in them. Other than a slight fade in the camo and a loose stitch here or there, they're in great shape. Best deal in their lineup in my opinion.

24-Apr-15
Anyone ever thought of re-using old neoprene wader material for knee pads? Wonder if you could have a section sewed into or over?

24-Apr-15
Robb, thanx for posting those. They look perfect for hunting scenarios. Ordered a pair.

24-Apr-15
BULLELK1 X2!

I had a pair & they worked extremely well. Then I screwed up & loaned them to a friend & never got them back!

Never could find another pair like them, but I know where to get them now. Thanks for the link!

24-Apr-15
Andy, yes I have a few years back when I wore out a pair of waders. I just cut a measured section of the lower wader and just slipped it on and up around the knee, before I put on my boots. I was able to fold it down to the top of my boots when not needed.

Not sure why I do not use them. Maybe because of the slip-on before the boots. Worked well though and were cheap.

My best, Paul

24-Apr-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
Today...

24-Apr-15
California dinner slippers lol I need to get a pair for work!

25-Apr-15
Sitka Mountain pants. Love em

26-Apr-15
They have held up well, I even have wore them doing projects here at home like tile, carpet ect----

They are wonderful for boning out your harvest as your knees are nice a padded!

Good luck, Robb

PS--I just ordered another pair---$45.50 OTD including 3 Day shipping Out The Door

28-Apr-15
My ToolExperts knee pads arrived yesterday and I'm happy with the purchase. These are the best I've seen and I hope the neoprene is durable.

28-Apr-15
I like the Arteryx knee pads the best.

28-Apr-15
I just ordered a set from tool experts... Hope they are what I'm looking for. I've hated every set I've tried to date. I equally hate crawling on my knees in scree rocks too though.

28-Apr-15
The challenge for many of the knee pads available is.

1.not slipping down off the knee

2. holding strap or straps binding up behind the knee and pinching the skin and or cutting off circulation.

3. not enough/correct soft padding inside of the pads to allow a comfortable kneel for a longer period of time.

4. Straps that stretch out and loose their ability to tighten.

5. Straps that break

28-Apr-15
Have a pair with thick leather and felt back. Have carried them a lot but generally when they are most needed they are in camp.

29-Apr-15
I used my old SWAT knee pads...don't rememeber the brand but they work great...look to tactical maybe...

30-Apr-15
I got mine yesterday--that is great customer service/shipping fast!

Great points Paul.

I use a 1 inch wide Velcro 1/2 side strip that I sew on my cargo pocket flap, on my hunting pants.

I run the 1/2 side Velcro along the Velcro on the upper knee pad strap and it holds 'em up high real good---no slippage down, simple cheap fix.

Works great on spot-n-stalk antelope-----

Good luck, Robb

30-Apr-15
I use arcteryx and love them.

30-Apr-15
I also just ordered a pair from toolexperts. I still have two weeks of turkey season left. Hopefully, they arrive soon...

30-Apr-15
Thanks Paul! Ill have to try it and maybe a few other ideas. I got lots of neoprene wader material!

30-Apr-15
Most knee pads are noisy. Much quieter to wear them inside the pants. I can live with scuffed up pant knees as long as I get to shoot something.....

I like padded wrestling knee pads. 90% of the time I wear them slid down at my ankles, my boots are 8" uppers so I never notice them really. When I need them I just slide em up my leg.

01-May-15
Troxell super soft knee pads http://www.amazon.com/TroxellUSA-Troxell-Supersoft-Kneepads-pair/dp/B000ND0CFW

I've never used them hunting, so they may me a little too soft (not durable) in the field.

However, I've installed miles of tile, wood flooring, etc. on them and they are by far the best pads I've ever owned.

Maybe put a few layers of camo duct tape across the front to toughen them up if you use in real rocky areas ;)

01-May-15
The farther you crawl, the thicker the pads. If you deal with cactus, get ones with a hard plastic exterior. The wider Velcro straps tend to be nicer on circulation. If the ones you buy aren't camo - easily fixed with a couple cans of different colored flat camo spraypaint (spray well ahead of time so the stink is gone).

13-May-15
I ordered a pair from Toolexperts. It had not arrived so I emailed to ask. They said the camo ones sell out during hunting season and that it would be about 2 weeks. My turkey seasons would be over in two weeks.

They said that they had black ones in stock. I asked for the black ones and the credited me shipping due to the confusion.

I got the black ones in about 2 days. They were much bigger than I expected.

I tried them out this morning. I was on my knees for a few hours while turkey hunting this morning. I was kneeling behing bushes watching birds at about 120 yards.

The knee pads were very comfortable. It was cold so it also felt good to have my knees warm.

The pads did seems to move a bit and slid down while walking.

Overall, I'm pleased but will need to use them a few more times to know if I really like them.

13-May-15
I agree about the Home Depot ones or the Lowes ones. They are relatively inexpensive and hold up great. I have had mine about 8 years and they are still going strong. Shawn

• Sitka Gear