Ermine 24-Apr-15
drycreek 24-Apr-15
cnelk 24-Apr-15
surfnturf 24-Apr-15
Beendare 24-Apr-15
Fulldraw1972 24-Apr-15
Matt 25-Apr-15
23-Apr-15
The Real scoop on KE went so well lets talk about spine. I come from the Trad world and feel pretty knowledgeable about spine in that arena. In the modern compound world not so much. In regards to spine, It would SEEM to me that you cant go to stiff out of modern compound equipment. It SEEMS that with centershot and level nock travel, you would not be able to overspine. What effects do you see if over/under spined if any? Please discuss advantages /disadvantages of both. Just so yall know these question come in preparation for a brown bear hunt. Thank in advance, Yall are awesome!

23-Apr-15
I agree. It's tough to be overspined out of the new compounds.

Impossible? I don't know.

23-Apr-15
Surf-If this thread goes anything like your KE thread you had better start packing your bags:) Good luck on your hunt!!

23-Apr-15
With good nock travel, a drop away rest, and release aid, I doubt you would have any tuning issues going stiffer, but only testing can verify that. And any problems are likely due to form issues, not the bow/arrow combination. I shoot a 300 spine shaft out of a 65# Hoyt CE at 28 1/2" with a 150 grain head. The bow also tuned with a 340 spine. But terminal performance is better with a stiffer shaft and it's a bit heavier. On the other hand, going too weak, can cause issues with tuning.

23-Apr-15
"In regards to spine, It would SEEM to me that you cant go to stiff out of modern compound equipment. It SEEMS that with centershot and level nock travel, you would not be able to overspine."

Your assumption would be wrong. ;-) If it were true, there would be a "one spine fits all". There isn't.

Due to shoulder issues, one year I had to drop my poundage down to 60lbs. In order to get optimum arrow flight, I had to shoot 500 spine Axis shafts.

Other years, I was able to bump up to 65lbs. In order to achieve optimum arrow flight, I shot 400 FMJ's.

This past year, I was finally able to get back to 70#. In order to get optimum arrow flight with 340 FMJ's, I had to use a 100gr tip. Even though that combo tuned and shot great, my FOC was below 9%. Although I don't overly concern myself with FOC, I wanted a little more. 340 Axis shafts with 125gr tips is what I ended up with. This put me a little above 12% FOC, and still gives me above the minimum weight I feel comfortable with for elk and moose. This combo shoots like darts.

As you can see, spine difference can make a big difference. Beyond that, even the same spine in different material can also make a difference. As I've said many times, it all boils down to what works best for you, taking into account the animals you hunt, and your effective distance you shoot at those animals.

23-Apr-15
In addition, my wife shoots a 45# Hoyt CE at 24 1/2" draw. Her arrows fly like darts with 125 gr, 3 blade non-vented VPAs, with FMJ 500 shafts.

The main reason they make weaker shafts is for the weight savings for the high speed crowd. It's also possible there are other issues, with the bow (I don't know how you could easily verify perfect nock travel, for instance) or the shooter, that haven't been or can't be tuned out. More like one error canceling another.

If you want to maximize penetration, it's worth starting with stiff shafts, and heavier heads and see how they fly.

Wyo. You said 340s work great, but you don't say if you tried 300s.

23-Apr-15
"Wyo. You said 340s work great, but you don't say if you tried 300s."

I did not. No need, I found what I wanted. Another combo I tried was the 340 FMJ with 150 tip. Optimum arrow flight, but for me the loss in trajectory wasn't worth the additional weight. As I said, whatever works for you.

"The main reason they make weaker shafts is for the weight savings for the high speed crowd."

That broad brush statement simply isn't true. If it were, why isn't your wife shooting 300's?

23-Apr-15
I shoot CE Maxima hunters and cannot get the overspined 350s to tune. My properly spined 250s, however, shoot perfectly.

23-Apr-15
I'll add just a bit more to what myself and Idyll have stated.

Spine should be selected based on what tunes best our of YOUR bow. Numerous factors go into determining the correct spine for YOUR bow. Draw weight, draw length, length of shaft, cam type, tip weight, etc, can all influence what shoots best.

Once you determine the properly spined shaft, that's when different options concerning overall arrow weight can be personalized, based on your needs/wants.

For example, let's say you find Easton 340 spined shafts shoot best out of your bow. Within that 340 spine category, there are numerous different models that vary in weight. They can range anywhere from Fatboys that weigh 7.8 gpi up to FMJ's that weigh 11.3 gpi.

As I stated in my earlier post, even this isn't set in stone. If you change any one factor, you should recheck your tune.

23-Apr-15
"If it were, why isn't your wife shooting 300's?"

Even though arrow speed usually is dead last on my list of attributes, even with the 500s she is getting just under 200 fps. That's about my limit for compromising on trajectory. She's just over 9 grns/# of draw weight, and almost 17 % FOC. There's not much more we can do. Besides, she's not generating enough energy/momentum no matter what she shoots to worry much about arrow stiffness in regard to terminal performance, especially considering how short her arrows are.

I should have added that weaker spine/lighter shafts are also appropriate for energy challenged set-ups.

23-Apr-15
In my experience with over spined arrows with a compound bow, over spine is not a problem and does not affect arrow groups or accuracy. I currently shoot a 62 lb Elite Answer. I shoot arrows with the same accuracy from 400 spine up to 250 spine aluminums. I shoot 300 spine for hunting and sometimes 340. My draw is 30 inches, my FOC is generally around 9% to 12%. 100 grain tips are the heaviest I shoot. Arrow weight will vary from what ever I am doing from a light 320 grains (400 spine) to a heavy 530 grain (250 spine). Too weak a spine is a real problem but not over spine. We had this discussion a couple of years ago on this site and there were a few who sided with the over spine crowd, but most had the same experience as I have. Perhaps the rest has something to do with it. Not all rests are created equal. My groups are slapping each other (4 arrow groups) at 20 yards. I have to be careful to not shoot groups too often as I tend to robin hood shafts. Could just be the tune or the bow. I had the same experience with my Elite GT 500 and all 6 of my various Mathews bows.

23-Apr-15
Chip, I know. I was trying to divert attention from that thread. LOL. Wish it was my hunt but it is a much higher paid buddy who is going. So, if speed is no the main objective, then shouldn't we be try to shoot the heaviest spine possible? Heavier spine should have better penetration qualties and give more options in regards to point wt. and FOC changes.True?

23-Apr-15
Idyll, As I understand it a 350 is weaker spined than a 250. Did you mis-type or do I have it wrong?

23-Apr-15
Well, if it were me, I'd shoot my normal set-up. A VPA 150 gr non-vented 3 blade up front, FMJ 300 shaft, no garbage at the nock end, and whatever speed that gives is more than sufficient.

In general, pick a good COC fairly heavy BH with 2 or 3 blades. Choose a stiff shaft to start out and make sure it tunes. There is no reason it shouldn't. I like to be in the ballpark of at least 15% FOC, and 8 - 9 grains per pound of draw weight.

If I ever see my fletching sticking out of an animal (which doesn't happen very often) at least I know there wasn't much else I could've done to improve penetration.

23-Apr-15
At normal ranges I don't think you'd see much of a difference if you went " too stiff". But I flight tune out to 70 yards and I really did see a difference with stiff arrows. I usually shoot between 80 and 90 pounds and was playing with GT big game 100's. They tuned great. I then started setting up the same bow in 60#s, the arrows didn't gly nearly as well at long range.

24-Apr-15

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
I was shooting a .300 spine arrow cut down to 25". With brass insert I had 175 grains upfront. I thought this arrow stiff even with the weight up front.

I then tried a .260 spine arrow with 15 grain insert + 125 grain head. I figured these would be really stiff for my setup. They shoot way better. Group a lot tighter!!

This was all out of a 70 lb bow at 27" draw.

I think for a compound bow you can't be too stiff. No such thing.

24-Apr-15
What is a tell-tale sign that your arrows are over-spines for a compound bow? I did move up in spine and weight recently Nd have not had time to really tune for max fixed blade and field point synchronicity. I added 1.5" to shaft length and 25 more grains in BH to compensate.

24-Apr-15

cnelk's Link
Actual arrow spine deflections do not necessarily match the manufacturer's marketed spine sizes (Gold Tip 5575, Carbon Force 200, Carbon Express 60/75, etc.). Manufacturer spine sizing systems may be arbitrary (100, 200, 300, 400) and may or may not reflect the arrows' actual spine deflections. For example, a "Carbon Express Maxima 250" has an actual spine deflection of .404", not .250" as the sizing suggests. In this case, the rating system is arbitrary. To be safe, DO NOT assume an arrow's spine size is the arrow's actual deflection.

According to the modern standards (ASTM F2031-05) an arrow's official spine deflection is measured by hanging a 1.94 lb. weight in the center of a 28" suspended section of the arrow shaft (not to be confused with the old AMO standard of 2 lb. and 26"). The actual distance the 1.94 lb. weight causes the shaft to sag down is the arrow's actual spine deflection. For example, if a 1.94 lb. weight causes the center of a 28" arrow to sag down 1/2 inch (.500"). Then the arrow's spine deflection would be .500". Stiffer arrows will, of course, sag less. More limber arrows will sag more. So the stiffer the arrow is, the LOWER its spine deflection measurement will be. The more limber an arrow is, the HIGHER its spine deflection measurement will be.

Read more - see link

24-Apr-15
surfnturf, the 350s will be stiffer than the 250s.

24-Apr-15
So, cnelk , is an Easton Axis 400 stiffer or weaker than an Easton Axis 300 ? 'Cause now I'm confused !

24-Apr-15
.400 is weaker than a . 300 shaft

24-Apr-15
Thanks Ermine, that's what I thought. Just confirms that " a little knowledge (mine) is a dangerous thing " !

24-Apr-15
Below is an important paragraph from Spike Bull's link for those that did not take the time to read through it all.

Thanks for the continued info Spike Bull

"But the important question is, does it really make a difference? From a pure physics standpoint, yes. But again, few shooters have enough skill to notice. Small amounts of spine variance are realistically inconsequential to the weekend bowhunter and backyard enthusiast. But that doesn't stop the arrow companies from bickering about who has the best spine consistency and accusing each other of spine crimes. After all, every arrow company wants YOU to believe that their arrows will give you a technical advantage ... even if that's a little distortion of the truth. Again, we'll avoid the internal melee here by not pointing fingers, but if you wish to know more about spine variance, check the forums. There are a few forum regulars out there who own spine testing devices and Hooter Shooters. And they'll be happy to disagree with us on this issue."

24-Apr-15
So an Axis 400 is weaker than a 300 but a CE Maxima 350 is stiffer than a 250??? There is no industry standard? How is one to know what your getting?

24-Apr-15
I've shot overspined for decades [compound with a QAD dropaway]....FP's and BH's group at 50 yds, bow tunes great, tougher arrow- whats not to like?

24-Apr-15
When dealing with carbon express shafts. A 250 is a 400 spine shaft. A 350 is a 350 spine shaft. They say that right on there arrow selection charts. I dont know why they do that but they do. A gold tip pro hunter shaft in 55/75 is a 400 spine. A 75/95 is a 340 shaft. I dont know how you could get a 340 spined shaft to tune in a 95 lb bow unless you had no tip. Lol

With that said I think it's hard to be over spined with a modern compound bow and a release. Over spined would be tail right or broad head right. I have always been able to tune that out.

This years hunting set up I am going to try a 250 spine Victory VAP shaft. A 33 grain firenock outsert. And a 150 grain VPA non vented head. Out of a 70 lb Hoyt Nitrum Turbo. OT2 says I will be over spined by .036 but I think it will tune fine. Time will tell.

25-Apr-15
"But the important question is, does it really make a difference? From a pure physics standpoint, yes. But again, few shooters have enough skill to notice. Small amounts of spine variance are realistically inconsequential to the weekend bowhunter and backyard enthusiast. But that doesn't stop the arrow companies from bickering about who has the best spine consistency and accusing each other of spine crimes. After all, every arrow company wants YOU to believe that their arrows will give you a technical advantage ... even if that's a little distortion of the truth. Again, we'll avoid the internal melee here by not pointing fingers, but if you wish to know more about spine variance, check the forums. There are a few forum regulars out there who own spine testing devices and Hooter Shooters. And they'll be happy to disagree with us on this issue."

A decade or more ago, I bought the straightest shafts Gold Tip sold at the time and had a heck of a time getting them to group well even with field points. I couldn't hold 4", 3 shot group at 40 yards. I got some Beman hunters (same deflection, same length, same fletchings), and could regularly hold 3" groups at 40, and was able to put an entire dozen Carbon Tech (same spine, length, and fletchings) into 3 1/4" at 40 yards the only time I tried.

One doesn't need to be a pro or use a Hooter Shooter to be able to tell the difference between arrows with loose spine tolerances and those that are much better. Arrow quality is largely better across the board these days, but the proof is in the pudding.

• Sitka Gear