Buglmin 24-Apr-15
r-man 24-Apr-15
writer 24-Apr-15
jims 25-Apr-15
weekender21 25-Apr-15
turkeyhunter60 25-Apr-15
spike78 25-Apr-15
24-Apr-15
I had several jakes a few toms and several hens off the roost bunch up and gobble at everything I gave them. Not even a jake would break from the group? Should I break up the group at night off the roost? I was less 100 yards from the roost tree and watch all the hens fly to the gobblers. Had a jake and hen decoy. Toms and Jakes made it to within about 60 yards and should have been able to see the decoys. Dont have permission to hunt the property they went to; so no cutting them off next time. Any thoughts or Ideas greatly appreciated.

24-Apr-15
Wait. Hens will leave to lay their egg, toms will be more vulnerable to calls. Likely come in silent. I usually have the best luck after 9:00 a.m. Up until 1:00 pm or so.

24-Apr-15
Imitated a fight with numerous types of calls mouth, box, slate, push bottom. Two toms broke from the group and came charging in only one left. No decoy used

Another time did loud excited calling and tapered it off Waited few minutes and did it again and again

finally one Tom broke from the group then I just did soft yelps facing away from him. And only did it when he seemed to lose interest. The closer he got the quieter I got eventually his curiosity was his downfall Again no decoys don't care for them as they hang up this way they keep coming and searching and walk right on past if don't shoot me first They can hear so well you really have to call softly once they get within 100 yards. I mean softy

24-Apr-15
Thanks for the info, I sat today till 11:00 am, can hunt only till noon for the next week. Then we can hunt all day. I was calling aggressively but maybe to loud once they got to 60 yards. I will try calling softer and maybe no decoy. I hope to be posting a pic if It all comes togther tommorow or Sunday. Then back to work for the week.....LOL

24-Apr-15
Any day of the week can be different. Try just hen decoy (s) but set up 20-25yds in front of them. No decoy is a good option....I've shot more birds without decoys then with. Keep at it! Good luck!

24-Apr-15
Give it time. Later in the season has always been the best for me.

24-Apr-15
Love chasin' henned up gobblers...as soon as the weather warms up and the hens start laying, those gobblers get awfully lonely around mid day. It sucks in states that don't allow hunting after 1:00.

At times, you can call the hens to you, and the gobbler will follow. Usually having words with the boss hen will get her mad enough to come over to talk to you face to face...

24-Apr-15
you know at the crack of light them birds will head to the first field they can find to sun and strut, so set up early in the nearest field. at least your seeing some action, everyone chased all my choice birds off are hunting areas . You don't want to chase them away.

24-Apr-15
Bowtech, are you hunting them by bow or shotgun?

There's a difference as per the importance of decoys, and a few other things.

Be patient. Cold or warm weather, photo period will get those hens nesting soon.

Getting in super-close, super, super early, with a different kind of decoy and/or call might work...might.

Stick with it and one will crack. I've had decoys bail me out more than they've hurt me, especially when trying to pull toms from hens.

And keep in mind that for every time a tactic works, there are probably five to ten other times it doesn't. :-)

25-Apr-15
I would have to agree with the above posts. Stick with it and keep changing things up. The more you spook the birds the tougher they will be to stalk, decoy, call, and get within bow range! Turkeys aren't near as dumb as some people think!

25-Apr-15
Hunting henned up gobblers can be extremely frustrating! I've had luck exercising patience in two ways.

1) Often I've found that Toms will either loose the hens or loose interest in the hens when they go to their nest or are otherwise not submissive. I've had great luck sticking it out until later in the morning, 9-noon. I've also seen long beards hanging out in the exact spot I called from earlier in the morning when I've lost patience and headed off to find other birds.

2) Give them time. The late season has been great for me. Hens are spending more time on their clutch or even with pults. Sometimes Toms will start moving around more and new birds will show up in your area looking for one last hen to breed.

Good luck!

25-Apr-15
Get near there Roost early, at dark,but not too close, before they start talking....Place one Decoy Hen out in front of you.....Concentrate,The first Hen you hear will be the Boss Hen....Mimic her exactly too a tee...Only Concentrate on Her only..That will get her fight en mad..She will fly off the roost and find you,sometimes fly right in front of you, and bring the Toms following her...Good Luck...Done it many times..

25-Apr-15
Also, dont forget about doing an alarm putt. If you are using a slate it is easy to accidently make the sound. I only have been using yelps and purrs with some leaf scratching sounds. I also like to use mouth call and slate at same time to mimic multiple hens but not sure if its any better but Ive been doing well the last five seasons so im sticking to it.

25-Apr-15
Thanks For all the info, Writer I am using a bow in a blind. tried again this morning with no luck. Soft calling. Moved blind in to were they have been hitting the groud on a large path. Cleared my trail and I plan to be sitting by 5 am. Plan on one hen decoy. What position should I place her? Lying down or Normal. dont have feeding option. I have a standard Jake I am still kicking around the idea of a bredding position? Thanks again for the help.

• Sitka Gear