Stubbleduck 26-Apr-15
sundowner 26-Apr-15
Rayzor 26-Apr-15
Stubbleduck 26-Apr-15
pdk25 27-Apr-15
Buglmin 27-Apr-15
pdk25 27-Apr-15
25-Apr-15
I have some Kustom King 3 blade fixed bh's made by VPA, 145 grains 1" wide and 2 1/4" blades. My finished arrow would weight about 450 grains and shoot about 250 FPS. I have some 400 spine Axis shafts, my arrow length would be about 28". I shoot these out of my recurve and was wondering if 3 two inch helical Blazers would stabilize them? The broadheads are vented.

25-Apr-15
2" Blazers probably will not do the job.

Three-fletched, 4" vanes or feathers probably will, especially if you use maximum offset or helical. Prefer feathers with a trad bow.

Be sure your broadheads do not wobble when you spin them.

400 spine may be light for that weight head. Check Easton charts.

25-Apr-15
Thought you trad guys knew about tuning heavy arrows? Tuning big broadheads from a compound is no different then tuning them from your recurve. It takes the right spined shaft to get big heads flying perfect from any bow... According to the "good doc", once big heads are tuned and you have the right foc, you don't need much fletching for perfect arrow flight.

25-Apr-15
It will primarily come down to tuning. I use a similar BH and a similar fletching to the blazer with good results.

Based on what you described, dynamic spine may be the bigger issue for you.

25-Apr-15
I shoot those heads and use 340's out of my 52# recurve cut 30 1/2" with 4" feathers off the shelf and they stabilize great

Those are a fantastic head, BTW

26-Apr-15
I wouldn't consider 145 grains a big head, my Snuffers with insert weigh 200 grains...8^)

To answer the question though, a well tuned arrow and perfect release in perfect conditions doesn't require at lot of fletch to stabilize, but near freeing temperatures and in a blowing sleet and rain, I shoot three 5-1/2" high back shield cut feathers on all by hunting arrows, in all conditions...

26-Apr-15
Seriously, if you do some tuning work, those arrows should fly perfect with no fletching. Not a particularly heavy or wide broadhead. Do some bareshaft work until you are tuned properly.

26-Apr-15
good release and more fletching will do the job.

26-Apr-15
Tuning and use flex fletch 360 vanes. They stabilize pretty good

26-Apr-15
If they are for your recurve to be shot off the shelf, you'd need feathers.

26-Apr-15
If you use a drop away rest give the FOB's a try. They really stabilize about any broadhead.

26-Apr-15
It is doubtful that one would be happy with FOBs OR a dropaway on a recurve......

26-Apr-15
Helical feathers and or even 4 fletch. If you are righty shoot lefty helical.

26-Apr-15
Whoops...missed the recurve in the original note. I suspect FOB's would at best be quite noisy off a recurve!!

27-Apr-15
Regarding the original post, the blazers might work, but only if shooting off of an elevated rest, but I would chose feathers. I have had good results with 4" parabolics, even with snuffers.

27-Apr-15
He isn't shooting them out of a recurve...250 fps from a recurve? Tune the bow like you would your stick bow. I'm using 19% foc on a short 27" arrow with three 3" feathers using 125 grain DRTs. It's all about tuning...

27-Apr-15
Lots of recurves could achieve that speed, and it has been done before, but usually you have to bee around 5-6 grains per pound of draw weight with a high efficiency bow. Guessing that isn't what he is refurring to unless he is shooting an 85-90 pound bow.

• Sitka Gear