IAHUNTER 13-May-15
razorhead 13-May-15
kidwalker 14-May-15
fubar racin 14-May-15
AkBowhntr 14-May-15
HDE 14-May-15
Tilzbow 15-May-15
26-Apr-15
If I draw this year (pretty sure I did) I'm at 50% for elk. If I don't draw for deer im in the high 90 percentile. How has it worked for you over the years?

Oops meant to put this in the NM section. But since it's here, how bout it?

27-Apr-15
0 for 7 NR elk

27-Apr-15
im in Wy, and I don't know my exact percentage, but I put in annually for areas that draw 30-40%, and I have drawn exactly 2 since the 90s. I have almost no luck.

27-Apr-15
The nice thing in Colorado is that due to using preference points, you usually know if you are going to draw for sure, but of course there are always point totals that are draw on a percentage.

As a nonresident who usually put in for muzzleloading elk, it takes me 2 to 3 points to guarantee a tag. In other words, the first 2 years, I have a 0% chance of drawing and then the next year a good chance, then the following year 100% chance. So, it takes 4 years to draw the area I usually go, but only 2 for another area I sometimes go.

27-Apr-15
I draw an elk and deer tag every year but it's usually only every other year it's the tag I really want.. Elk has become the tag I want every two to three years because me and the wife put in for group tags and that makes it just a little harder to draw

27-Apr-15
AS far as I know they never issue any tags for elk in NM. Ha!

28-Apr-15
Doesn't look like I drew elk in NM again - 0 for 3

I've always put a reasonable odds tag for 3rd choice too.

28-Apr-15
100% - Being in CO I usually know how many points I need to draw a limited tag I'm after for elk so I put in for points only and plan on hunting OTC when its not time yet. Offset that with ram, goat and moose, which I am a steady 0%.

28-Apr-15
100% for a Montana Breaks Elk tag with no Points

28-Apr-15
Struck out in Wy. and Mt. permit. I am 100% for the Mt. general if that counts??

28-Apr-15
I imagine I have drained all the luck I have; I drew Unit 2 CO on the Hybrid last year and it appears I'll be in the Gilas this year. Always OTC before this, but the last two years have been good to me.

28-Apr-15
I've bowhunted Elk in Colorado since 1986 and never drawn a tag, always just purchased them.

28-Apr-15
Appears I'm now 0-3 in NM for elk.

That said, I've been particular about the units applied for....across all three choices.

28-Apr-15
In NM 1-7 last drew in 2012.

28-Apr-15
For NM I am 100% (1/1)

28-Apr-15
Overall for elk since 2001 I have drawn 3 cow tags and 2 bull tags in Arizona, so approximately 33%.

30-Apr-15
I've been putting in for NM since 04. I've drawn once.

01-May-15
My good friend I grew up with is a pack in outfitter in the white mountians area and lives in Ruidoso. I was recently reacquainted with him and he invited me to go this year. He said I probably woulndnt draw first year in high demand unit but you never know....

Drew my first choice NM unit 36 first season this year. shocked to say the least.

2-2 100% on my draws this year :)

01-May-15
For 36 years I put in the draw for a free-range Alaska bison. Also put in aplns on behalf of Momma, the boys and occasionally the dog. (We do not have a PP system here.)

Year 37? I drew the coveted tag.

Probably because the previous September I gave up, hunted and killed a bull on on the Crow Reservation in southern MT, and paid a lot of money to air freight most of his big tasty ass back to Fairbanks!

The following February I took an Alaska bull.

For a couple years I didn't even go moose or caribou hunting. I ate nothing but bison meat. It was pretty rough duty, but I got through it!

Btw, I haven't drawn ANY other tag since. Apparently I used up all my luck. Forever....

Pete

01-May-15
It isn't just draw odds, it's how much it costs to keep applying. This is the argument for a CO system, at some point you can line up a good hunt with a really high percent chance of drawing. Places like NM with no preference/bonus points, you are looking way uphill on draw odds for the best districts (NM G&F chiseling OOS hunters down to 5% of total draw reduced draw odds by 50% in one swoop).

Keep in mind that 1 in 2 odds does not guarantee a draw every other year. Like flipping a coin, you can flip the 'didn't draw' side ten times in a row. When you're at 1 in 10 or way worse with hundreds of dollars sunk every time, that's when you have to ask if you're playing an expensive sucker bet.

Nevada and Montana may have the fairest system, with squaring your years for total draw chances. If it were my system I'd still allocate a small percentage to those with the most points. The other thing I'd do is try like heck to develop a bigger pie.

07-May-15
0 for 10 for an elk tag in KY they post it on the 15th of may maybe this is the year

07-May-15
I draw about once every 7 years or so (14%). Its been about that long and no draw again.....

Just found out I didn't draw a Kansas deer tag even with a bonus point. Now that's bad luck!

07-May-15
100% deer draw since they went draw system and could no longer buy OTC deer tags. Use to be able to buy deer,bear, fall turkey on one tag for $10.50

80% elk draw for the past 10 years.

But don't hate me for being a NM resident.

13-May-15
I have been getting a tag each year for deer and elk in CO, but I'm hunting 0 or 1 point units. Been very fortunate to have been on hunts I had only dreamed of as a kid. Living in Colorado has it's perks!

Now that I have a little, actually very little, extra money I am going to do a few other low cost options every other year. This year I drew a Kansas bowhunt with 0 points, will get points in Iowa and have 0 and 4 point option units I have access to, and will buy a point in Wyoming for deer, elk, and antelope.

My philosophy is to scout a lot and hunt with friends each year, versus waiting years upon years. This has paid off very well.

13-May-15
When I drew Iowa, I was ready. thru the first 3 years of applying for what I wanted, I still went there to hunt, and scout, etc, since you could still take a doe.

when the opportunity came, bang I was ready........

I now hunt south Dakota, can get tags, lot more land to hunt,,,,,,, Iowa is now owned by the Outdoor Channel and Country Music stars, ha ha ha

14-May-15
NM elk 14 years no draw. YET !

14-May-15
From 12 years old to 22 I drew about 80% from 22years old to so far this year 0%

14-May-15
Hey Pete, maybe I can throw some luck your way. For Alaska, I have drawn Unimak Brown Bear, DC321, and DG476 over the past 5 years. And that's just AK, many more down in L48.....

14-May-15
0.0026937% on everything

15-May-15
I drew the Gila in 2007 and again in 2012. Those are the only years I've applied!

• Sitka Gear