Destroyer350 30-Apr-15
Ermine 30-Apr-15
HUNT MAN 02-May-15
Charlie Rehor 02-May-15
deerman406 04-May-15
29-Apr-15

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
Me and my buddy Matt hit the road Saturday at 7 pm . Heading to eastern MT for a few days of turkeys hunting and exploring. Here is some pics from the trip. 1275 miles in 3 days and never left the state. HUNT

29-Apr-15

We get to our spot at 3am and crawl in the camper shell for a quick nap. 4;45 we are up. We here a few gobbles far off and take note for later. 3 birds total. a good morning of scouting. time for a nap. HUNT

29-Apr-15
Salt in wound.

29-Apr-15

We nap for a while and let the birds we heard early leave there hens. At 2 we set up in a spot i have had luck in the past . A big horseshoe in the river with lots of timber. One of the birds from this morning sounded like he was over here. We call every 15 mins or so. Heavy eyelids get us and we both doze off. We wake up around 5. I hit the call. Matt says he heard a gobble. I call again and nothing. 5 mins later i thought i hear him fly across the river. I call and nothing. Then i hear it the sound when you no they are close. PPTHUM. Matt peeks out the back of the blind and there he is in full strut. He is below us and cant see the Decoys in the field. He struts and gobble for 20 mins. I cant get him to come out to the field. He is inside 20 yards the whole time. He goes to leave and i drop the bullhead and grab another arrow. I find a window and call to stop him. Matt says 25 and whack. Bird down. Or so i thought. He was between the two cottonwoods under the cut off branch. HUNT

29-Apr-15

He goes to flopping and we head over to pick him up. Matt goes to grab him and he takes off flying down the river. Dang it. There is a ton of blood. We cuss and grab our bows and he down river 25 yards apart. 200 yards later i see a feather in a tree and a drop of blood. 20 yards later there he is stone dead dies flying. Bird number 1 down. HUNT

29-Apr-15

He his a great bird and even better recovery. We are pumped. We try to find another bird that evening but didnt see or here any. So an hour before dark we go to town to eat. We get back to camp as its getting dark. I hoot and 3 birds gobble where we set up this morning. Bingo. Thats where we will be in the AM. HUNT

29-Apr-15

We get up at 430 to get setup. the trees are thin here and they are roosting close to the river. we set up where Nick got his bird last year. Just as i am getting into the blind GOBBLE. They gobble at every sound made. Me real hens in the trees pheasants geese ducks trains you name it. They are hot. 3 gobblers and 7 hens. I have a great battle with the boss hen. The birds are strutting hard on the limb. Soon the gobblers hit the ground on our side 100 yards out.

29-Apr-15

He they come 3 long beards. They see the decoys and commit. Chest bumping the whole way. At 8 yards Matt comes to full draw on the head bird. Whack he hits him in the chest with only 6 inch of penetration. he goes out in the field and beds down . Matt slide in as i cover him and finish him off. Bird number 2 down. 535 am. HUNT

29-Apr-15

Its Matts best bird and we are pumped. HUNT

29-Apr-15

We ate breakfast and head south 200 miles. We talk with the landowner. He is always a pleasure to talk to and one of a kind. HUNT

29-Apr-15

We get to our spot and make lunch for the day in the blind. Smoked elk meat sandwitches. While packing up our packs I think I hear a gobble. I hit the crow and it was a gobble for sure. We get set up and birds are everywhere gobbling.

29-Apr-15

The set up. Open country here. they are gobbling in every direction,

29-Apr-15

Not long and one shows up.

29-Apr-15

He is closing fast.

29-Apr-15

He is just a jake and gets a pass. HUNT

29-Apr-15

He is in the decoys when 3 longbeards show up out front. I drop the camera and we get nocked up and ready. They chase him to the right and never see the decoys. I drop a window and give matt a range. Just a little low. Dang. But birds are still gobbling.

29-Apr-15

They leave and birds are still talking. Soon a lone gobbler shows up and puts on a show. It didnt end well for him. Bullhead a 6 yards puts him down Bird number 3 dowm 145 pm. HUNT

29-Apr-15

Matt goes to grab him and spooks 3 more birds coming up the hill. dang it get back in here. They never did come back.

29-Apr-15

We head over to the next canyon and spot two lone gobblers. Man i love this place. HUNT

29-Apr-15

We make a plan . No blind this time we are going old school. They school us. HUNT

29-Apr-15

We hike out of the canyon and start glassing. Before long i spot two birds strutting over a lone hen. They get in a huge fight and we jog that way. 3/4 mile.

29-Apr-15

We get there in 10 mins. The looser is just hanging out in a sage bush and the winner is strutting his stuff. I call soft and the loser heads are way. It takes him 20 mins in full sight. no decoys and he want come closer than 70 and looks. Mean while another bird is gobbling. he walks over the hill and Matt sneaks up and make a great 35 yard shot. He was looking at the other bird in full strut. Bird number 4 down. 430 pm. HUNT

29-Apr-15

So we load up the truck and go exploring. Saw a few of these. and took notes for August. HUNT

29-Apr-15

We make it to the mnts in time to glass for bears.

29-Apr-15
Congrats thanks for sharing!

29-Apr-15

Great looking country. No bears.

29-Apr-15
That's my kind of road trip!

29-Apr-15

We have a Mnt house and bed down. In the morning we glass again. Nada. We pack the truck up and head west.

29-Apr-15

Thanks for looking. Next Road trip Alaska in August. Cant wait. HUNT

29-Apr-15
Thanks for the ride along.

(How's it feel, Nicky?) :-)

29-Apr-15
Good stuff, Hunt! Enjoyed it.

29-Apr-15
Great stuff guys! Awesome hunt and pictures, looks like a good time was had! Thanks for sharing!

29-Apr-15
It sucks Michael, I now know the feeling! I wish I could have made it, but in a few short months the three of us and Hunt's father are headed north to hunt Caribou together...and that's after Matty and I hunt Mountain Goats, Sheep and Brown Bears for 10 days :)

29-Apr-15
Hunt awesome and congrats!!! Sounds like a lot of fun. Those sure are pretty birds.

29-Apr-15
Great thread Hunt. Looks like an even better time than last year (since Nick wasn't there). Congrats, you guys make it look easy.

--Jim

29-Apr-15
Thanks for taking us along Hunt. Beautiful birds and great looking country to hunt them in. Congrats!!!

29-Apr-15
Heck yeah! Congrats again buddy

29-Apr-15
Great thread and great pics!!! Congrats and thanks for sharing!!!

29-Apr-15
Way to go HUNT! Great stuff as always....man, that is the prettiest turkey country ever!

29-Apr-15
I was just about to post, "what, no more turkey hunt stories?"

Then I came upon your story/pics.

Well done. Paul

29-Apr-15
That was exciting -- congratulations to both of you. Great photos too...thanks for sharing.

Bill

29-Apr-15
Very nice!!

30-Apr-15
Well done. Thanks for sharing.

30-Apr-15
Always great following your excursions! Congrats on another great hunt.

30-Apr-15
Great story and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

30-Apr-15
Great as always Hunt!

30-Apr-15
Thanks for sharing! Congrats!

30-Apr-15
Awesome! Heck of a hunt! Great job

02-May-15

Thanks guys it was a blast! Here is the finished product. Smoked for 4 hours at 200 degrees over applewood. Can't wait to try it . Hunt

02-May-15
You did well! Enjoy! C

04-May-15
All I can say is AWESOME!! Great pics. and hunt! Congrats! Shawn

• Sitka Gear