Contributors to this thread:
t-roy 30-Apr-15
Brotsky 01-May-15
buzzcutt 01-May-15
Tndeer 01-May-15
Charlie Rehor 01-May-15
jims 01-May-15
30-Apr-15
Here in Iowa, we are experiencing a major outbreak of avian flu infecting millions of production chickens & turkeys mostly in the NW part of the state.

My wife & I have been out turkey hunting several times & have heard VERY little gobbling activity this spring. I live right in the middle of our hunting area & we are outside a lot even when not hunting & still hear little to no gobbling.

I have talked to other people in our town that turkey hunt as well & they are experiencing similar results.

I'm wondering if this flu has or can infect the wild birds. Anyone else experiencing similar results?

01-May-15
My understanding from the little I've read on it is that it can infect wild birds however they do not get sick from it. Due to the way wild birds interact it is much less likely to spread amongst the wild population as opposed to a commercial farming environment where all the birds are in close proximity. Pen raised birds also get very sick and die from it where as wild birds may have some type of natural immunity.

01-May-15
I live at ground zero of the current epidemic in central Minnesota. The DNR is testing harvested wild turkeys in the area that successful hunters bring in, and so far has found no trace of the flu. In fact, only one wild bird, a cooper's hawk, has been found dead with the flu. Wild birds are the supposed hosts of the flu, but seldom die from it.

01-May-15
In Missouri we have been having years like what you describe due to a number of years with very poor hatches. Our turkey population was less than 50% of what it was at one time and hunting sucked.

The past two years has seen a significant improvement with lots of jakes and a lot more action. This current season almost feeling like we are getting more back to normal. Lots of birds getting killed and lots of them showing up on the trail cams.

01-May-15
I live in TN and this year I have noticed a major dip in our turkey population. In previous years we have shot 15-20 birds per year on our land. This year we have only shot 8 because of concern for the population. Ive been told by wildlife guys that populations wax and wane periodically but Im still concerned.

Straight arrow, good to hear things have improved on your land.

01-May-15
I believe the same decline in deer in the North East and Midwest is effecting turkeys the same. Some of its cyclical but some is harsh winters and increased predators. JMO! Based on open day here in New York State the Turks did pretty well but statewide the harvest is down significantly in the last ten years.

01-May-15
Where I've been hunting in Nebraska there was a peak in population a couple years ago. The drought severely cut brood numbers the past couple years. There are very few coyotes (due to mange) so turkey numbers boomed until the drought. Hopefully they get good moisture through the nesting and brood season!

• Sitka Gear