Wayniac 03-May-15
bnt40 03-May-15
Wayniac 04-May-15
writer 04-May-15
Rayzor 04-May-15
Franzen 04-May-15
01-May-15
Cross posted from CT forum..

Went in to a property cold on Wed... located birds, but couldn't call them in. Yesterday am, I got in earlier and roosted them.. set up a decent distance away.... had them coming in but they hung up. Ended up being 2 NICE Toms and a hen.

I later used a gulley to get closer to them (I'm the only hunter there this week), and popped up drawn within shooting distance of where I had marked them.. but the smart old bird must've heard or seen something he didn't like.,. they were 30yds farther away and moving before I even popped up.

In checking out the property, I later came across a fresh (blood still wet) kill - dead remains of a jake.. just feathers, no carcass. So - they are edgy due to fishers, bobcats, or coyotes.

This am I got in even earlier, verified they were on the same roost.. popped up a ground blind where they had been strutting Thursday.

The hen came right into the dekes, talking it up to the feeding hen. The last 50-60 yards, I could hear the big guy spitting, drumming, etc.. putting on quite the show.

The hen was feeding among the decoys, and the lead Tom came in and chest bumped the jake decoy. The #2 Tom was right on his hip...

I managed a draw, and as soon as I let the arrow loose, he pivoted and went from broadside to hard quartering away. I probably should've waited until he settled down a bit, but 6 eyes had me nervous, and I had to draw when I got any opportunity.

I saw feathers fly, and the 3 of them looked at the jake decoy like "how the hell did you do that?!?!?"

I couldn't nock up a follow-up right away as the hen was too close. I had to watch them looking from 20 yards to my hard right.. managed to nock another arrow but I couldn't pivot or draw. They went over a hill and tortured me with a fan show for 20 minutes.

The hen lead them away, and I was able to recover the arrow.. I'm OK with just shaving feathers - better than a wounded bird.

Rematch next week, assuming they are roosting in the same spot. Great morning (week) in the woods

01-May-15
Tough ! If at first you don't succeed.....................

01-May-15
Did the bird gobble "Roll Tide!" ??

01-May-15

60X Strings's Link
We've all been there. I missed a huge Tom last fall. I thought I drilled him as he scurried down over the hill. I had the mount all picked out in my head until I walked over and he was no where to be found. The arrow told the story with no blood.

01-May-15
I gave an Iowa gobbler a close shave last Sunday morning. Shot behind his head with a gobbler guillotine at only 10 yards and I got the whole thing on video! Who misses at 10yards, right. Went back Monday and made some other poor turkey pay! Keep after'em it will happen! Good luck!

01-May-15
Greg get rid of guillotines asap! Worst head chopper ever... Their flight is horrible

02-May-15
Guillotines are in the trash! Used a rage three blade Monday and made a deadly body shot.

02-May-15
Only strike one. Stay at the plate and hit the next fast ball out of the park.

Paul

03-May-15
I'll be getting back in as soon as my schedule allows.. Wed at the latest.. may try to get in Tues before work

03-May-15
Good luck and get him next time.

04-May-15
I gave them a few days to "forget" & will be back in this week as soon as my schedule allows...

Do you think they'd associate the encounter with the location or the decoys? In other words.. should I move location slightly, change the decoy setup, or both?

04-May-15
Probably wouldn't hurt to change things up a big, but it may not be needed.

In 2013 I bounced a Bullhead off a bird's body. (So much for "dead on contact"). :-) An hour later the same two toms came back, with the clipped bird being a little hesitant but he still got within range again.

He was delicious.

04-May-15
Story of my life with a bow. Xbows yes but just can't seem to make it happen with a bow. Close call already this year. Would have been a slam dunk with a gun or xbow but I cant kill them with a bow if I'm carrying one of those. Hopefully things will change for us both this weekend.

04-May-15
I missed a real nice tom yesterday after watching him strut and gobble on an adjacent ridge for about an hour. I finally was able to pull him in. Opportunities are very slim for me so that was my last chance and I needed to make it count. Great show, but I wish I could have connected. Shot right below him.

• Sitka Gear