varmint101 02-May-15
Paul@thefort 02-May-15
drycreek 03-May-15
HUNT MAN 03-May-15
midwest 04-May-15
01-May-15

drycreek's embedded Photo
On Thursday last, three of us made the drive to my old lease near Ballinger, Texas to enjoy our annual turkey hunt. I had this place leased ( 1400 ac. ) for 18 years. In wet years, it holds a good number of turkey and quail, as well as deer. When I gave it up to a friend of mine, he graciously invited me to continue to turkey hunt at no expense.

I got set up about 500 yd. from the Colorado River around 5:00 PM. I had my Avian X jake and hen about 10 yd. from the blind. I was planning to intercept a bird going to roost . I yelped a few times on my diaphram as the evening wore on. Pretty hot in the blind !

01-May-15

About 7:00 PM I heard a gobbler answer my yelps. Sounded like he was behind me. I yelped again and he's coming to me ! About ten minutes later he gobbles really close. I still can't see him. About this time I'm getting my bow out of the holder and as is my habit, I look at the peep, the rest, and the arrow. Oh no ! I have a torn fletching !

01-May-15

I quickly replaced that arrow with another just as two gobblers walk in from behind and right. Wings dragging, fans extended, they begin to shoulder bump the jake. I' m looking at two fans and no heads, so I draw aim, and release with the top pin right above the vent. He went about 12/15 yd. before collapsing.

01-May-15

The other hung around and I might could have killed him also, but it's the first day of a three day hunt, and I am happy !

01-May-15
I just got back from a hog hunt in S. TX. Turkeys everywhere. It's been a wet year for them so I'm thinking they should have a great hatch this year. Quail looked better than I've seen them in years.

Great hunt, keep us posted on the rest.

02-May-15
Nice OH CRAP moment lol! Congrats on the bird!

02-May-15
TOO much fun when it all comes together. Nice.

Paul

03-May-15

Time to wrap it up ! I had one tom look me over Friday afternoon and something didn't appeal to him, so he went on his way. Called in a hen Saturday morning and she passed right next to my dekes ( probably wondering why they were so snobbish ) , but no tom in tow. Saturday afternoon late I had one tom coming to me but a brand new fence broke that game up. I could tell he was walking up and down the fence a hundred yards or so away, but he gave that up. A little later, I heard wings dragging through the weeds and grass and a nice tom walked in from my left. He was between me and the dekes and somewhat surprised me because he never gobbled on the way in. I made the cardinal mistake of moving too soon, he caught me and turned right around and putted out of my life. He did give me a couple of courtesy gobbles on his way to the roost though. You win some, you lose some. I had a good trip with a couple good friends, and that's what its about anyway !

03-May-15
Nice bird! Congrats and thanks for posting. Hunt

04-May-15
Great tom! Nice work!

• Sitka Gear