joehunter8301 04-May-15
Paul@thefort 04-May-15
Ermine 04-May-15
trkyslr 04-May-15
Mr.C 07-May-15
Ermine 07-May-15
Robear 07-May-15
04-May-15
I've seen several mentions of setting decoys/cover a certain way to help hunt without a blind.

What are the details?

04-May-15
keep your back to the sun if possible, set up in front of good cover or behind a big tree to help conceal drawing. have the jake/tom facing where your at the live bird will approach head on more then likely giving you time to draw. I use a heads up decoy on my bow with a hen in the ground out in front if I have time to set her up

04-May-15
First off I try and place myself in, up next to, just behind some type of brush/tree/rock to blend me into the object and let me camo work for me. I also try and not sit in the sun and sit in the shadows or trees, bushes, etc.. (this season on one setup I started in the shade at one spot and by the time the bird came in the sun shifted and I was beaming with sun on me and bird appeared to be cautious coming in looking in my direction). I try and setup with some type of tree or bush out in front of me 6-15 yards away where I can put the deeks just passed and on the opposite side the bird is coming from so the bird has to walk behind the object giving me an opportunity to draw. Some setups though may not have cover to draw, so in that case you would just have to wait to draw once the bird covers his head with his fan or hes distracted with attacking/loving the decoys. And also when doing this 100% camo is must as ive seen birds spook when they saw uncovered skin whether face or hands. And of coarse movement is vital so be ready IN pre-draw position and dont move until its time to draw. good luck hope this helps!

04-May-15
Chasintheslam, how's your season going? You killed yet and talking from experience? Just curious... Like to some pics if you have them.

04-May-15

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Heads up decoy is a great way to chase turkeys and not use a blind.

04-May-15
Yeaaaaya justin! Bring that with Ya next year and will put the hurtin on some birds!

04-May-15
trkyslr iv been on a few birds this year mainly jakes though, I had a shot on a nice tom last week but when I put my new nocks in forgot to index and vane hit cable, this is only my second year turkey hunting and im to picky for my own good

04-May-15
Nice.. Keep at it and good luck. Hope your season is stl going and you'll have more opps.

04-May-15
I am going to find out next week in the high country of Colorado With only a stick bow, gillie suit and two decoys. (gun and run for sure) but up close and personal at 10 yards)

Maybe a story to follow. My best, Paul

04-May-15
Good luck Paul! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

04-May-15
Do you guys cover your fletchings or just fletch with dark colored vanes. I always try to fletch with bright colors and flo wraps in bright colors. All of my turkey kills have been from treestands or in a blind, I have never worried about it much in those two situations.

04-May-15
Wear HEX!! LOL!!!! Shawn

04-May-15
yea I still got some time although im moving at the end of month for Alaska

04-May-15
I found it liberating not lugging the blind around. I love running and gunning/bowing. When setting up I payed special attention to what i would use as a blocker, which tree, stump or rock I would sit by and where I would place the decoy. Sitting in the shadows was important. I will be doing it again.

04-May-15
Bnt40... That's what I'm talking about! Good work!

04-May-15
Thanks trkyslr. I'll say it again that your 2015 turkey journey thread inspired me to give it a try. A lot of great advice given.

I think the most exciting part is getting to full draw without getting busted. What an awesome feeling.

04-May-15
I agree with you... Very cool feeling indeed!

04-May-15
Once you anchor an that bird is still strutting it sends a rush thru my body like "oh I gotcha now!"

04-May-15
I agree, just like elk hunting and determining a place to call from.

First find a good place to hid in the shadows with good cover and yes, a good blocker tree/brush to draw behind.

Try to determine which direction the tom may approach from.

And then set up the decoys and not before.

Also determine, do I set or kneel and can I draw the bow from both positions.

My best, Paul

04-May-15
I started covering my bright pink fletching after being busted a couple times from aways off by birds.

04-May-15
Justin has a good point.... Imo gotta be 100% CAMO or natural colors... My turkey arrows if the fletchings are bright I spray paint them black or brown.

07-May-15
what are you hunting for? you didnt say MikeC

07-May-15
I believe he is hunting for turkeys?

07-May-15
Dont't let the failures get you down. You will fail a lot. It used to bother me, but not anymore. I actually get a chuckle out of it watching them run away. They look like an armless old man scooting away. Stick with it and it will happen eventually. The key for me is to use a strutter with a hen. If a Tom is mad enough to challenge your strutter, you are in fat city. I have used the Heads Up set up this year with mixed results.

• Sitka Gear