Knife2sharp 09-May-15
writer 09-May-15
Bowme2 09-May-15
Mad_Angler 02-Feb-16
04-May-15

snapcrackpop's embedded Photo

snapcrackpop's Link
Very happy with how well using a brine solution worked!

“For a whole turkey, combine in a large pot: 1 gallon of water, 1 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup sugar, the juice from three lemons and a sliced onion," Rinella instructed. "Bring this mixture to a boil to dissolve the salt and sugar, and then let it cool. Add the turkey to the chilled brine and let it soak for 24 to 48 hours.

For the legs I seasoned them (garlic powder & lemon pepper), and wrapped them in tin foil with 1 Tbs of butter per leg. 10 hours on low in a crockpot with 1" of water on the bottom. Tender, juicy & falling off the bone. I swear! (Disclaimer: this was on a young jake)

Breast was cut into 2" chuncks & dipped in egg, cracker crumbs, seasonings and deep fried in peanut oil for a few minutes. They didn't make it to the table.

04-May-15
Oh, and I brined the parts in 1 gallon ziplock bags, not a whole turkey.

05-May-15
"tin foil"....how old are you SCP ? :-)

Glad you're enjoying the legs and thighs. They're very flavorful and versatile.

05-May-15
Looks great!

05-May-15
Looks good!

Hard for me to get away from slicing the breasts across the grain, dipping in an egg and then battered and fried. Yum!

Btw... I say "tin foil" too. I also call the refrigerator the icebox. :)

05-May-15
Any suggestions for a thicker coating? I haven't figured out how to get thicker breading on it or fish.

05-May-15
Roll in flour (helps the egg wash stick).

Dip in beaten egg thinned with a little milk.

Roll in crushed saltines (I put saltines in a gallon zip lock and roll over with a rolling pin)

05-May-15
We do the same process as Midwest does except we use crushed cornflakes. makes a nice thick crisp coating. trick is flour first as he said.

05-May-15
I like to marinade the breast in italian dressing, slice into strips and wrap with bacon and throw them on the grill. Good stuff!

05-May-15
My wife makes a turkey piccata and we use wild mushrooms when available that is soooo good she pressure cooks legs and thighs pull the meat from the bone and uses it in gumbo or turkey salad nothing wasted Lewis

05-May-15
That sounds good too Brotsky!

05-May-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
If you want to go with pre-mixed batter, these from BPS are awesome...

05-May-15
Safe one is to marinate in Italian dressing, a little soy sauce and spices. Grill low heat and be very careful not to over cook. Family loves it.

05-May-15

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
I brined these breast for 36 hours and then smoked them for 4 hours over applewood. Turned out great. Hunt

05-May-15
Here is my favorite:

1 large breast from a male turkey. This equates to roughly 20-30 1 1/2" cubes.

1 package of center cut bacon.

Your favorite dry rub seasoning; I like Famous Daves Chicken Rub.

1 bottle of Zesty Italian dressing.

Sweet Thai Chili as a dipping sauce.

Sprinkle the bottom of a glass baking dish with seasoning or dry rup. Cut the breast into strips lengthwise, then cut into cubes. Lay them in the backing dish, then sprinkle the top.

Cut the package of bacon in half to give yourself about 24-26 stips of bacon and wrap each piece of turkey with a strip of bacon and secure with a toothpick. I like using 4"-5" skewers, which are thicker and I'll put 3 on each with a good gap between them. I place the wrapped pieces back in the baking dish, then I poor the bottle of zesty Italian dressing over the entire thing, secure with the plastic cover or Saran wrap and set in the fridge overnight. I'll sometimes let thme marinate 24 hours.

Then it's just a matter of either grilling them or using an oven or Flavor Wave/NuWave oven. When I don't use a grill I use my Flavor Wave and cook them on one side 6 minutes, then 4 minutes the other side.

When I prpare them for myself I poor the sweet thai chili over the pieces, but if I'm cooking ahead of time and bringing to a potluck or someones house, I will put them all in a Crock Pot with a bottle of the sweet thai chili, then it's just a matter of turning the Crock Pot to warm for about a half an hour before serving.

05-May-15
Michael,

tried your gumbo recipe this weekend and I must say it was very tasty! thanks for the help!

Andy

05-May-15

ilandhunter's embedded Photo
ilandhunter's embedded Photo
wild turkey kabobs

05-May-15
Glad you liked it, Andy.

Like the recipe says, season to taste. Sito did it with some hot Cajun sausage and liked it even better.

The Lazy J pheasant finger recipe works well with turkey, but I actually double the amount of the A-1 sauce. :-)

06-May-15

PowellSixO's Link
My grandpa does his turkeys like this. I don't know his exact recipe, but it's very similar to this. It is absolutely AMAZING though!!

06-May-15

That tip of flour, egg then crumbs worked great. Now I used peanut oil, how do I keep the oil "clean" from start to finish? It was a little burnt, but still tasted great!

06-May-15
scp, When I'm breading stuff, I usually fill a cookie sheet,then set it in the freezer while I warm up the oil. This allows the breading to "set up" good and when slightly frozen on the outside, the breading tends to stay on the food better and not contaminate the oil. Make sure you use a thermometer in the oil and mainatain the temp at 350º.

Looks great!

06-May-15

midwest's MOBILE embedded Photo
midwest's MOBILE embedded Photo

Got this breading from Bowfreak. I used a lighter coating on this batch. VERY tasty!

06-May-15
Knife2sharp... I'm doing that this weekend. Sounds great!

Writer... Where's this gumbo recipe?

06-May-15
To keep your peanut oil clean throw a bag of cheap frozen french fries in the oil and cook when done Feed them to the dog. I have used my peanut oil for turkey frying 3 years in a row. Kept it in the fridge. Make sure you use a good filter to clean your oil. Don't try and use your oil for fish and then go back to turkey, do sent work.

06-May-15
WAY better than that roasted jerky crap I did my first year!

06-May-15

08-May-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
Knife... Going down tomorrow. Marinating tonight. I'll let you know how it turns out. A part of me wanted to grill them tonight. :)

09-May-15
I hope you like it. You're making me hungry with that pic.

09-May-15

writer's Link
Bowme,

The gumbo recipe is from the Outdoors cookbook we came out with last fall.

Here's a link, though you about need to see one of the cookbooks to really appreciate all of the outdoors photography and narrative text.

09-May-15

Bowme2's embedded Photo
Bowme2's embedded Photo
Thanks, Michael!

Here's what's going down. They were awesome!

02-Feb-16

Mad_Angler's Link
I've been using a lot of recipes from damndelicious.net

Last weekend, I cut a turkey breast into small chunks and used the bang-nag chicken recipe. It was awesome.

Someone above asked for advice to get a thicker outer crust. This recipe has the thickest crust I've ever made...

http://damndelicious.net/2014/06/06/bang-bang-chicken/

• Sitka Gear