Windwalker 11-May-15
Paul@thefort 11-May-15
Paul@thefort 11-May-15
GBTG 12-May-15
Matt Palmquist 12-May-15
05-May-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Heading out at 5 am tomorrow morning. Packed truck pictured.

I am setting the bar higher on this turkey hunt. My first two toms were killed using a blind and compound bow. Killed both birds at 5-6 yards with only two days of hunting each.

Traveling 350 miles west to the Montrose Co area to truck camp and to hunt turkeys in elk country. It has been raining over there but there might be a three day window of fair weather after tomorrow. Hope the roads are not mudded up too bad.

Just taking the recurve bow, my gillie suit and two decoys, and will "gun and run" them. Shots will be within my effective range of 15 yards, so up close and personal for sure.

Story to follow when I return next week, successful or not.

My best, Paul

05-May-15
Good luck Paul!

"gun and run"? I think you have to run then gun or else you're chasin a wounded bird.

05-May-15
looking forward to this Paul! good luck!

05-May-15
Good luck Paul!!! hope you have a blast!

05-May-15
Go get em Paul. Best of luck to you.

05-May-15
Have fun and good luck!

05-May-15
Have a fun / safe trip!

05-May-15
Good luck, Paul! Have a great trip and make a memory.

05-May-15
Looking forward to your story; good luck.

05-May-15
Looking forward to next week.

05-May-15
Technically, Paul...

It's "go and bow'/......or is that "bow and go"?

Look forward to the stories.

05-May-15
Could be "look,stalk and poke". Anyway looking forward to the hunt. 5am is coming soon and then a 5 1/2 hour drive.

The other challenge in the mountain, the birds are really spread out but, cool country never the less.

My best, paul

06-May-15
Best of luck Paul!

06-May-15
Best of luck Paul.

06-May-15

On time and out the door, O'dark thirty.

My best, Paul

06-May-15
Have fun, be safe. W/B waiting for your story

06-May-15
Boy, I'd love that. I feel like I'm packing for an arctic expedition... backpack, blind, decoy bag number one, decoy bag number two, stool, bow, heads up decoy...

Good luck

06-May-15
Go get 'em Paul!!!

06-May-15
Good luck:)

06-May-15
Best of luck Paul. Always great to read about your adventures.

06-May-15
Good luck Paul! Looking forward ot hearing about your adventure when you return!

06-May-15
Good luck!

06-May-15
Best of luck on the hunt. Like your sleeping setup. Think I need to build one for my "Ford-Inn" too.

06-May-15
Damn you don't have to put too much thinking into what pin to use good luck and have a ball Lewis

06-May-15

elkmtngear's Link
Hope you get a lot of close encounters, Paul.

Or, maybe just one, where everything comes together!

Best of luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

06-May-15
Be careful, Paul.

Those mountains can be tough on a 65-year-old guy! :-)

06-May-15
Good luck Paul can't wait to hear the story.

07-May-15

07-May-15
Can't wait for the rest

07-May-15
Waiting is the worst part

07-May-15
Are those elk feathers???

--Jim

07-May-15
I had been monitoring the weather for the western side of Colorado for the past 10 days and it seemed like a Pacific storm front was invading California and would be pushing east, off and on, for the next week or so bring rain. I check every day looking for a break.

Rain is good but I know that the back roads would mud-up very quickly, making the dirt road almost impassible..

There seemed to be a 2-3 days period of "fair" weather with just a chance of rain, so I scheduled my trip on Wed, May 6th.

I would leave Ft Collins early to beat the Denver traffic and also to arrive at Montrose Co, 350 miles away, around noon so I could scout/hunt in the afternoon. I still had 30 miles to travel outside of Montrose.

07-May-15

It was still dark when I bypassed Denver and then headed west on I-70. Over Vail Pass, 10,000 ft, it was snowing and I could only hope the weather might clear some.

07-May-15

Heading down the other side, it was very foggy and no better.

07-May-15
Geez, Paul, surely you're in good enough shape to type faster, right!

I assume congratulations are in order.

By the way, is that an aluminum arrow? No wonder you never kill anything!

07-May-15

The rain let up as I entered Glenwood canyon which is cut by the Colorado River.

07-May-15
Just when you think winter is done! You must have shot straight?

07-May-15

But half way through the canyon, the rain started up again.

07-May-15

The only time the rain let up

07-May-15

Between Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction

07-May-15

I was tempted to turn around and head back home but I sort of knew that tomorrow would bring nicer weather.

You got to trust the "weather man" once in a while.

07-May-15

07-May-15

South of Grand Junction Co there was some blue skies but also a lot of localized thunder showers over the mountains. I thought about getting a motel room in town but I pushed on.

Thirty miles south of Montrose, I entered the National Forest and just a few sprinkles followed.

07-May-15

This doe mule deer was feeding along side of the road taking advantage of the Spring time new growth.

07-May-15

Thick Aspen tree growth in the high country.

07-May-15

This road was well maintained but it would be the side road that had me worried.

07-May-15

A few more miles, I turned onto the side road and headed for turkey country. I kept my finger crossed that I could get through as I had 6 miles to go.

07-May-15

More water on the road and it was getting worst. I knew I had two spots that the dirt road went through a ranch and the road was made up of just dirt without much of a rock base. If one slipped off the road into the borrow ditch on both side, it would be impossible to get out and a long way back to town for a tow.

07-May-15

The Tacoma was in 4 wheel drive and I kept the tires in the old groves on the road, hoping that there was some rock base under the 4-6 inches of mud for traction.

07-May-15

Rounding a bend on the road, this herd of elk watched

07-May-15

I know you flatlanders see deer while turkey hunting but elk! This is a premier elk area.

07-May-15

Some rolling hills covered with oak-brush. Great food for elk, deer and turkeys.

07-May-15

And looking the other way, a snow capped mountain range.

07-May-15

Well I made it through the slop, 6 1/2 miles, and then set up camp.

Now to see if there are any turkeys around. The time was 1 pm on Wed.

And the rain had let up, and no one else was around as was evident by my tire tracks being the only one on the muddy road.

I was glad and thankful to be there and not stuck in a mud hole 30 miles from town.

08-May-15
Sounding like a great spring adventure!

08-May-15

So at 2pm I head down the trail to check for turkey sign and maybe, just maybe, hear a tom gobble. I had my gillie suit on and my recurve bow in hand. Two decoys were in my backpack.

This is the same area two years ago that I drove over from Ft Collins, arrived here at 3 pm, had the blind set up at 3:30 and killed a tom at 6:15. Then I drove back home the same day, yea, a 22 hour round trip. Picture of that hunt attached.

Craze for sure!

A 1/4 mile in I checked a stock pond and found turkey tracks, somewhat old, washed out by the recent rain but a good sign. One has to remember that these Merriam turkeys can travel a long way from the valleys 3-5 miles away and then head for the higher country following the snow melt off. This migration can be slowed down with a late spring and higher snowfalls.

I yelped on the box call and received a hen yelp in reply; another good sign. Farther on another hen replied and then a far off gobble. Hard to detect the direction in the tall pines. I cackled again. There, farther to the west. I moved that way while looking for a place to set up if needed.

Lots of oak brush and thick pines. Not too many openings. There, he is closer now. Just up on that ridge 150 yards away.

I quickly set up Bud the jake decoy with one hen and positioned myself 15 yards way behind a large pine tree. I called and waited. He gobbled back. I called again. Another gobble but farther away. I waited and then waited some more. I barely heard the next gobble as he move off even farther.

No use chasing him so I move farther off to the west to find more sign. I did not want to spook him as he might be the only tom in the area. This is big country and unlike Eastern turkeys that might hang out in the same woodlot all of their lives, these mountain birds scatter far and wide.

08-May-15
I did see 4 hens as I moved west and then north until I hit the road. I followed it back to the truck a mile 1/2, looking for tracks on the road in the fresh mud.

It was now 5:30. Because of the threat of rain, I did bring along my Dark Horse blind and because of the lack of good hiding spots for my gillie suit blind, I decided to hike back down the hill the set up the blind near the pond.

I left the recurve bow and my camera at the truck which turned out later, to be a BIG mistake.

08-May-15
Oh oh this is getting good!

08-May-15
I love feathery arrows...

08-May-15
Doh not a blind.... I was routing for the natural gillie monster. Still here though!... Cool looking country

08-May-15
Good stuff buddy! You are to Colorado turkeys what Chris and Joe are to them NorCal birds. Thanks for posting

08-May-15
Great story so far Paul! Looking forward to the rest of it to help me pass the work day!

08-May-15
Thanks, Paul. Keep it coming.

I promise you when I'm as "mature" as you, I'll be thrilled just to be in such places, not matter if I'm hunting with a blind, or with a shotgun, or just sittingin camp while my kids and grandkids are covering the kind of miles you can still cover. :-)

08-May-15
Public land, few birds, blind or no blind, take 'em however you can get 'em, Paul!

08-May-15
Keep going Paul!

I hope the weather didn't get bad for you again like it did here at home. Big snow coming tomorrow. Possibly 20 more inches between you and here.

08-May-15
Coffee in hand this morning so here is the rest of the story.

Oh, just remembered. Grand Junction Co had a record rain fall for one day, on the day I arrived in the area, ie, .64 inch. May not seem like a lot but to an arid high country plateau, that is substantial.

Sorry about the gillie suit being exchanged for the blind but decisions are made for the best outcome sometimes. I sort of regret the decision as I wanted to make this hunt harder with a different technique. It surely would have been easier with a longer range compound bow but I knew my recurve bow's effective range would be under 15 yards and that wound not allow for much margin of error.

08-May-15

So down the trail I go with blind on my back. Going light without camera or bow and the round trip would only take an hour. It would also be prime time to hear a tom take to his roost and maybe gobble a few times to let the hens know he was around. I knew one was in the area but just did not know where.

I arrived at the pond clearing and set up next to two large pine trees to the right. Actually the same place I was successful, as two years ago.

08-May-15
With the blind set up I then walked out 10 yards and placed a stick where I would place the two decoys in the morning. Back in the blind I adjusted the windows as I would be shooting my recurve bow off of my knee if the situation presented itself.

THIS IS WHEN THE TOM GOBBLED BEHIND ME AND WAS COMING DOWN THE SAME TRAIL I HAD HIKED DOWN FROM THE TRUCK. He entered the clearing at the top.

No bow or camera so I just made a few hen yelps. He gobbled back with gusto again and again as he came my way. He stopped at the pond 40 yards away, looked around for the hen, and then continued on his way over the hill where he gobbled and strutted some more out of sight.

Keeping low, I headed out of the blind and made a circle back to camp. I ran into a cow and yearling calf elk on the way.

Maybe I would be lucky in the morning.

08-May-15
Five O'clock came early but with clear skies and a bright moon, the birds were starting to chirp earlier so I grabbed the bow, decoys, and a few munchies for breakfast and headed away.

At the blind, I was placing the two decoys at the 10 yard stake WHEN THE TOM GOBBLED just 100 yards away. At first I had thought he had seen me come across the clearing but then he gobbled again, I actually crawled back to the blind.

I heard another distant tom and this tom gobbled back with his response. They exchanged gobbles for the next 10-15 minutes.

WAIT, do I actually hear two toms nearby? I hen called, and yes, two toms.

Now I could also hear a few hens farther down the hill away from the tom's roost. I hen called more aggressively trying to lure the toms my way.

The new morning light was brighter but the sun was still under the horizon. No wind. It was so quite except for the turkeys calling back and forth.

AND THEN ALL WAS QUITE, NO TURKEY SOUNDS.

FLY DOWN TIME FOR SURE.

I gripped the bow and searched for movement at the wood's edge.

08-May-15
MOVEMENT, YES! But only a hen coming my way.

More movement behind her. TWO LONG BEARDS trailing.

The hen sees the decoys but stops short to investigate the Jake/hen. She knows she has two aggressive toms behind her so she continues on but she did her part and brought the two toms to within the DEATH CIRCLE.

Here where it gets dicey. For those of you that have both camera and bow in hand, which one do you hold and which one do you put down and get ready for the shot?

While I have wanted to take pictures of a tom attacking my decoys, I guess I am just programed to take up the bow which I did.

Both toms are within inches of Bud, the jake decoy, and both toms are within inches of each other; and only 10 yards away!

08-May-15
A great thing about have a decoy out is that it gives the hunters something to practice aiming and drawing at. I did this with the recurve bow prior to the toms showing up.

I would only hope my aim was true, my release smooth and the aluminum arrow tipped with 125 gr Woodsman BH would do the job.

08-May-15

I picked a spot and the string slipped from my fingers.

At the other end THERE WAS AN EXPLOSION OF FEATHERS!

08-May-15

For those of you that like "stuff" on the arrow, here you go.

08-May-15

After the hit, the tom did a few flip flops, struggled to gain his balance but managed to wing beat and limp away with the other tom close by.

08-May-15
oh boy!

08-May-15

The hit tom died a few seconds later and the surviving tom hung around for a few minutes now quite knowing what had just happened.

08-May-15

I lured him back with a few hen sounds and he put on a show as the next few pictures indicate.

08-May-15

My camera does not do well in low light.

08-May-15

A two year old Merriam tom in full strut. I guess his lucky day.

08-May-15
Great story Paul!

08-May-15

He then heard the hen back in the woods and headed that way to follow her over the hill.

08-May-15

I left the blind to claim my prize.

08-May-15

08-May-15
Very cool! Well done and Congrats

08-May-15
Paul, congrats with or without a blind and especially a stick bow... You da man!!!! Great pics as well. Those are pretty birds.

08-May-15

Bud did his job for the third time this year. Jake decoys rule!

08-May-15
Congrats on the bird!!

08-May-15
Great story and pictures. Thanks for sharing...

08-May-15
Fantastic! Way to get it done.

08-May-15

08-May-15

08-May-15
Once again another great adventure! Always enjoy your threads Paul!!!

Mark

08-May-15

I called Tricia when I returned to the truck and told her I was coming home.

She stated, "raining too hard and where did you spend last night?"

I said, "in the truck and I tagged out this morning at 6:30 am.

She said, " you got to be kidding!".

I said," NO, I am not and I will be home for dinner".

08-May-15
Can't beat making the wife happy with an early return!

08-May-15
Way to go Paul! Congrats on a beautiful bird. I'm going ot head out to the western side of hte state next spring and get me a pure merriam's fan for my wall. Thanks for sharing!

08-May-15
Awesome as always Paul! Congrats!

08-May-15
Great job, Paul! What a turk season you've had!

Really want to get me a Merriam's.

08-May-15
Great job Paul!!! Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

08-May-15
Very nice. Way to go. Killed my first bird of the year with the Wheel bow. It's Longbow or nothing till the end of the season.

08-May-15
Awesome! Good job Paul.

08-May-15

Upon further investigation, the BH passed through both upper thighs but also the lower gut pocket.

Fun to remember the hunt with both words and pictures.

Great to bring you all along on the hunt.

It turned out to be a very good season with less that a day and 1/2 for each of the three successful hunts. Surely makes up for two weeks of hunting two states last year and never had a tom within good range of the decoys.

My best, Paul

PS. Keep the passion growing and going.

08-May-15
Thanks and great job!

08-May-15
Good stuff as always, Paul! Congratulations!

08-May-15
You the man! Congrats

08-May-15
Great story...Thanks for sharing!!

08-May-15
Nice Job, Paul! Enjoy feasting on that bird!

Best of Luck, Jeff

08-May-15
Congrats Paul!!! Great thread, thanks for sharing!

08-May-15
Great story! Thx for sharing.

08-May-15
Great job - love the Uncompaghre!

I too hope to get a Merriam's one day.

08-May-15
Congrats Paul!

08-May-15
Wow. I want to be like you when I grow up. Thanks again for posting. Hunt

08-May-15
Congrats Paul, great adventure. Thanks for taking us along again.

--Jim

08-May-15
Enjoyed every minute! Congrats on another great adventure sir.

09-May-15
Thanks for the ride Paul, your adventures are always a treat. Congrats on the successful year!

09-May-15
Congrats Paul on a great hunt, and a good story!

09-May-15
Seen Paul at the gym this morning. Hope I'm half that good at 75!

09-May-15
Congratulations Paul!

10-May-15
Congrats Paul!!! Always love your stories. If that is what retirement is like I am ready to sign up.

10-May-15
Congrats Paul helluva hunt thanks for taking us with you ok Bud is the name of the jake in this day and time you could name the hen Bruce Lewis

10-May-15
Very cool, thank for sharing! Congrats

10-May-15
Thanks Jeff, just trying to have some fun.

Good luck on your hunts this year. Paul

10-May-15
Good luck to every one and thank you for the nice comments.

I hope I did not use up my luck on the turkeys, as I have a pronghorn, elk and deer tag for Colorado.

My best, Paul

11-May-15
That was a great story and photo's!

11-May-15
Awesome Job and thanks for the well told story. Congrats.

11-May-15
Congrats Paul!

Thanks for "taking us along"!

11-May-15
Way to go Paul... congratulations!!!

11-May-15
Your off to great start Paul. Thanks for posting.

11-May-15
Tell us about you bow ? Congrats!

11-May-15
Way to go; really impressive using a recurve.

11-May-15
GBTG, The recurve is a one piece Great Plains bow made in Texas.

62 inch, 55 pounds. Yew wood facing.

Actually I won the bow at a CBA jamboree 6-7 years ago during a membership drive drawing. Lucky guy.

While I shoot a compound most of the time as my "meat bow" I surely do like to shoot my "fun bow" also.

I have killed two other turkeys and two WTs with it, one be a 126 PY. Actually my first PY deer 4 yr ago, after many years of hunting WTs.

11-May-15

Bow and deer. Looking forward to killing an elk with it some day.

My best, Paul

12-May-15
I'm right with you! I have my fun bow (recurve) also. Hope to shoot an elk some day with it as well...have the turkey and deer covered with it.

12-May-15
Congrats Paul!! Automatic as usual!!

Matt

• Sitka Gear