Moultrie Mobile
Deer Behavior- What's up with this deer?
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
Hunt98 11-May-15
Hunt98 11-May-15
Woods Walker 11-May-15
Active Shooter 12-May-15
Bill in MI 12-May-15
Tndeer 12-May-15
Zbone 12-May-15
greenmountain 12-May-15
Thornton 12-May-15
Thornton 12-May-15
deerman406 13-May-15
trackman 13-May-15
elkwatcher 14-May-15
Thornton 17-May-15
gobbler 17-May-15
APauls 17-May-15
Joehunter 17-May-15
Genesis 17-May-15
Daff 17-May-15
IdyllwildArcher 17-May-15
hmaxims 21-May-15
tonyo6302 22-May-15
Hunt98 22-May-15
tonyo6302 22-May-15
Charlie Rehor 22-May-15
DTala 22-May-15
LUNG$HOT 22-May-15
elkhunter-ny 23-May-15
11-May-15

Hunt98's Link
I have several video clips from a trailcam of a deer. I think this is a one year old deer.

Is there something wrong with this deer or is it just being playful?

http://youtu.be/BZ04dItLSJk

11-May-15

Hunt98's Link
I have several video clips from a trailcam of a deer. I think this is a one year old deer.

Is there something wrong with this deer or is it just being playful?

http://youtu.be/BZ04dItLSJk

11-May-15
Looks like just being playful. It's called "gamboling".

I've seen young deer do it. The giveaway was when it played with the stick. It looked like my dog!

12-May-15
It’s like a sugar rush with kids. He's got a full belly and is happy about it. I would also make a guess and say I think he's pumped because it’s finally spring. I really enjoy watching them when their overcome with a lot of happy.

Tony

12-May-15
It means you planted the 'good stuff'

12-May-15
mad cow.. just kidding

12-May-15
Survived the winter, got its belly full and feeling good...

12-May-15
I guess humans are not the only ones to get spring fever.

12-May-15

12-May-15
The deer has some sort of parasite biting him. Probably in his ears. I saw this behavior explained on a QDMA video once.

13-May-15
I have to agree with Thornton. Looks like something is bothering him. Not being playful or happy. I actually think he is miserable and whatever it is, is driving him crazy. Shawn

13-May-15
I think it got in to some marijuana ( may have been in Colorado

14-May-15
I had a herd of around 20-25 deer this past winter in our yard ever afternoon/evening. Many of the young fawns displayed this playful action. Seemed like it was a subordinate act to larger siblings or other dominate deer in the herd. They would dance and jump around and actually run backwards and take dives into the snow. Watched this everyday for 2 months during January and February. Just my observations.

17-May-15
The deer in the video is getting bit. I don't see him playing with any of the other deer.

17-May-15
This meth epidemic is getting out of hand.

17-May-15
Doesn't look fun at all to me. Look like being bothered by something in its ears.

17-May-15
I have seen a lot of deer at play and I do not believe he is playing!

17-May-15
As dark as her tarsal glands are and her small stature she could be dealing with hormones associated with her first estrus

17-May-15
wondering if it might be ear mites? it appeared as if it were a little distressed. But there was no sign that it was trying to rub it's ears.

17-May-15
If there was something in it's ears, why wouldn't it be pawing at its ear with its hoof? I've seen deer scratch their ears with their hind hoof.

21-May-15
That deer was eating glue in the art room at school...

22-May-15
Many years ago I had the family out at Yosemite National Park, and we observed a whole group of Mule Deer Does acting the same way.

A park ranger told me they had Mites in their ears, and that it was a minor irritation to them.

22-May-15
Tony, Did the ranger say if the mites go away? Spread to other deer??

22-May-15
The Ranger said that during summer and fall, the Mites will spread from deer to deer, but it is a minor thing.

He also said that the first hard frost would kill the Mites.

I have never witnessed this anywhere else, only that one time in Yosemite NP. But those Does were dancing around just like your deer.

I know how those mite infested deer feel. When a teenager and working a Hay Crew for a Farmer during the summer, a camel fly flew deep into my ear canal.

Whenever he started buzzing, it drove me crazy. I even tried dunking my head in a cattle trough to kill the darned thing, and finally succeeded, but alas, I had to go to the ER to get the darned thing out.

22-May-15
I agree with Genesis because I always do:)

22-May-15
geeze, there is NOTHING wrong with that deer ears. It's a youngster just playing around, seen it dozens of times.

22-May-15
Cat nip.

23-May-15
Had 4 deer doing the same yesterday behind our pond. This is about the fifth time in the last couple of weeks. They have been doing this for a number of years now, always in the spring.

• Sitka Gear