DozierLester 19-Feb-16
CJE 19-Feb-16
Rock 19-Feb-16
Mark Watkins 19-Feb-16
Julius K 19-Feb-16
16-May-15

Ironbow's embedded Photo
Ironbow's embedded Photo
I have pursued turkeys with reckless abandon in the past. It really got in my blood for several years, bowhunting only. I hunted one bird 26 mornings one year, determined to kill him. I have had some success, and learned a bunch in the process.

Job changes, kids in school activities, a move, and fluctuating turkey populations as well as loss of land to hunt on has curtailed my turkey hunting the last few years. I killed a jake on a one day turkey hunt with a friend in 2010, and that was my last turkey hunt. My job keeps me very busy in the spring, and with no where close to home to hunt, I just didn't go.

I live in the country on 10 acres of property we bought in late 2010. Turkey populations really took a dive in my area since 2011 with the drought. This spring I started seeing a few birds, but the only ones I could find were on property that does not allow hunting. My business is really slow right now, so I can't afford the gas to drive anywhere. So I wrote off my 2015 season, and hoped 2016 would be better.

I got up early one morning to do some work in the garage, and heard a gobble right outside my garage! I raced in the house to get my camera, and had 4 jakes, one longbeard and 8 hens in the driveway. I would ease the camera up to a window and take a few grainy pictures, and then go to the next window as they moved around. I dug out a slate call and started calling out the windows, and the tom circled around the house looking for his lost girlfriend. One hen really took exception to my calling and got cranked up. Great fun.

16-May-15

Ironbow's embedded Photo
Ironbow's embedded Photo
Another pic of turkeys in the yard.

16-May-15

Ironbow's embedded Photo
Ironbow's embedded Photo
My wife suggested I buy a turkey tag. I didn't think we would see them again. But I got my bow out, my blind out and started doing a little practice. You know, just in case. Every evening for 4 days I would stand out back and listen for gobbles in the evening to see if they were in the trees behind the house. We would hear them way off in the distance.

Thursday night, May 14, I was working in the garage and heard a gobble out back! It was 7:30, so I knew there was a chance they would roost in the trees over my field. I started getting things ready. First time in my life I have sharpened a broadhead while listening to the intended quarry gobbling 125 yds away! I shot a few practice arrows too, wondering if the turkey had any idea there was a hunter waiting for the next morning to come after him.

At 8:30 I slipped back there, and figured out where he was. The hunt was on!

I eased in after dark and quietly put my blind up, only 50-60 yards from where I thought he was. I figured better to do it now, so if he heard me he would forget about me by morning.

16-May-15

Ironbow's embedded Photo
Ironbow's embedded Photo
It was kind of weird getting everything ready. Instead of camo, I was getting a black shirt, gloves and mask ready. Turkey calls, camera and tripod, bow holder for in the blind. Instead of my usual Slicktricks, I was going to use a mechanical. I have never shot anything with a mechanical, but wanted to try one. I filled my quiver with two NAP Killzone's, a Rage 3 blade and a NAP Shockwave. I had shot them all, I just needed to figure out which one I would use. With the arrows loaded in the quiver of my Hoyt Vectrix XL, I was ready to go.

16-May-15
At 4:55 the next morning I woke up and got dressed. It was very humid and wet, and I made the short walk to the blind overlooking about 8 acres of grass, only 4 of which was mine. The treerow he was roosted in runs north-south, and I had the blind tucked up tight facing the west. Sticking my full strut decoy in the ground 10 yds in front of the blind, I eased in and got ready. Legal shooting time was a little after 6:00 am, and I figured there would be some talk by then. Nothing. At 6:10 I saw a shadow come out of the trees and land 70 yards north. It was a hen. Followed by 4 more in the next few minutes. The gobbler, which I presumed would be a jake, still hadn't sounded off. I gave a light yelp on the slate, and he let me know he was still in bed!

I heard him leave the roost, and he flew to the hens and popped into full strut in all his glory. It was the longbeard! That was going to change the tactics some. I figured a jake would come right in to the new guy on the block. A mature tom wasn't going to be so easily fooled.

The hens started heading north, away from me. I pulled the call out, and yelped a couple of times. That got the tom to sound off, and the lead hen whipped her head around. Some new slut was in the neighborhood calling to her boyfriend and she didn't like it! When she yelped back, I mimicked her every note. This exchange went on for 4-5 times, and each time I would mimic her with a bit more feeling. She headed my way, bringing the group with her.

16-May-15

Ironbow's embedded Photo
Ironbow's embedded Photo
I set the call down when they were 40 yards out, not wanting to get picked off in the blind. I had the mesh down to shoot the mechanicals. They angled slightly away from me, but inside of 20 yds. Even though the tom looked at my fake, he figured he would just stay with his girls. I drew on him when he hit my shooting lane, and he picked up a slight movement and stopped broadside.

I had a new sight with a light, but had forgot to turn it on. I lined up the 20 yd pin to the side of him from inside the dark blind, eased it over and used my 10 and 30 yard pins to the get the left and right correct, and squeezed the Trueball.

The arrow hit high with a whack, and seemed to somersault slightly and landed beyond the tom. Feathers were flying, and the tom was on his side with one wing looking floppy. He flipped over, his head still up. Not sure what happened with the first shot, and knowing any turkey with his head up is not a good thing, as turkey's laying down with a head up can become running or airborne turkey's quite fast, I pulled a second arrow. This one went a tad high and missed. No reaction, which I thought was a good sign.

16-May-15

Ironbow's embedded Photo
Ironbow's embedded Photo
I waited a couple of minutes and then slipped out. The tom was facing away, but didn't look like he could get up. Another arrow and it was all over.

Bowhunting is a game of inches, and I used every fraction on this hunt. The Killzone had opened at precisely the right angle, with one blade cutting across his back severing the spine and breaking the wing bone on the far side. That explained the arrow flipping up, looking almost like it had bounced off. Had the head been turned 90 degrees, it would have been feathers only and an entirely different outcome to the hunt.

My hunt lasted less than 45 minutes and was over. It virtually went as planned. I was stunned. Then I noticed he had a band on his leg. I have always liked walking up to a deer or turkey I have killed and thought, wow, no human has ever touched this animal. Not this time! He weighed 22#, had a 8 5/8" beard and 1 1/18" spurs. I called to report the band, and am waiting on further information on where he was banded and when.

If you read this far, thanks. I hope you enjoyed it.

16-May-15

Ironbow's embedded Photo
Ironbow's embedded Photo
Banded leg.

16-May-15

Ironbow's embedded Photo
Ironbow's embedded Photo

16-May-15

Ironbow's embedded Photo
Ironbow's embedded Photo
My first turkey hunt was 27 years ago. I am starting to look old!

16-May-15
Cool story! Congrats!

16-May-15
Great posts! Thanks for sharing and congrats!!!

16-May-15
Congratulations... very nice bird, and banded too!!! Post up info from the band when you get it.

AWESOME!!!

16-May-15
Great story! I love it when a plan comes together! Congrats!

17-May-15
Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

17-May-15
Congrats. God Bless

17-May-15
Awesome job!!!

17-May-15
Congrats on your gobbler. That was a good read. Thanks for sharing.

17-May-15
That's was great. Love it when a plan comes together.Hunt

17-May-15
Great story!!! Congrats! What info could you glean from the band?

Mark

17-May-15
Good deal!

17-May-15
I love feathery arrows!

Congrats!

17-May-15
Indeed...I did enjoy it. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the story & photos.

Bill

18-May-15
Congrats! Way to make a plan come together

18-May-15
Awesome story. Great hunt. Congrats!

18-May-15
For read, and congratulations.

What county, Iron?

18-May-15
writer,

NE Reno county.

Mark,

Hoping to find out where and when the bird was tagged. That is the info that is supposed to be given to me. I would be curious how far he traveled from where he was tagged, and how long ago to try and figure out how old he was.

18-May-15
Thanks, Iron.

Didn't know bird #s had taken that big of a hit in that part of the county. That can't be far from some places I can access.

Please let me now what you find out as per the band.

Bests,

Michael

18-May-15
Way to go, congrats on a banded tom, not many people have done that, especially with a bow!!!! Great story, thanks for sharing.

18-May-15
Cool, looking forward to the report on the band.

18-May-15
Michael/writer,

10 years ago I could hunt a farm 2 miles from my house where the landowner said he counted over 700 birds there in the fall. I personally had 398 of them walk by my blind one morning. You would be hard pressed to find a bird there the last few years. It used to take me 10 minutes to find 50 birds, I have driven over an hour the last 3-4 years and not found any. That's what makes my hunt so special to me.

19-May-15
Awesome story. Gotta love it when a plan comes together...

19-May-15
Very nice, congrats!

19-May-15
great story! congrats on a successful morning!!!!

18-Feb-16
So.. what information did you get with the band?

19-Feb-16
Two weeks ago I got a certificate in the mail congratulating me on taking a banded bird. Says it was banded in the same county I am in. No location or when it was banded. Kind of a let down as I was curious how far he traveled.

19-Feb-16
Bighurt (formerly TBM),

This thread was about a special hunt I had in my backyard. I enjoy it a lot when others post their hunts with photos, so I thought I would try it. It was the first turkey hunt I have had in 5 years, and it was just a lot of fun. I have very few places to hunt, and even fewer places with birds on them. I love to hunt turkeys, but can't hunt them if they are not there.

This was not meant for you to jump in here and blow your horn about your average time to kill a turkey. I didn't start the thread asking that. You seem to always want to upstage anyone posting anything. When will you learn? Many on Bowsite wanted you kicked off before, and then you came back. You have whined that you can't get interviews and magazine articles about how great a turkey hunter you are. Let me tell why.

You don't get it. You just want recognition instead of sharing in a humble way what you know so others can learn. You don't take the time to take good photos (based on what I have seen on Bowsite) or how to write about your experiences. You jump in on any thread and try to tell how great you would have done it.

If I am going to bust your chops, let me also give you some advice.

I took two brand new turkey hunters out years ago. Neither had ever killed a bird or hunted turkeys. First morning early in the season first guy kills a bigger bird than anything I have ever killed. Second guy can't go until the last day and kills a jake right off the bat. I called these birds in for them. They were really happy guys. I took good photos and shared the story with a few tips and it was published in a national magazine. And I am far from a turkey hunting expert!

You could do the same but you are going to have to really change your ways. Quit thinking about how great you are, and eat some humble pie. Don't offer your opinion unless asked! Listen (or read) and ask yourself do I really have anything I can offer. Unless you are getting paid to share your views unsolicited, you would be better off listening and learning. I know that from experience.

Hopefully you will listen to what I have wrote.

19-Feb-16
Enjoyed your story Ironbow. Thanks for sharing.

19-Feb-16
Todd,

I know alot of birds are banded on the property NW of 56th and Kent road. We have taken a few off there with bands in the last couple of years. Great story!

19-Feb-16
A few years ago I shot a banded bird here in Colorado and after talking the CDOW about it they informed me that bird had been banded 2 years prior and 15 mile down the river from where I shot it.

19-Feb-16
Nicely done Ironbow! Very nicely done!

Mark

19-Feb-16
Thanks for sharing ironbow. Nothing like putting them to bed and getting it done in time for breakfast!

• Sitka Gear