deerman406 20-May-15
Rayzor 20-May-15
Fisher 22-May-15
Mt. man 22-May-15
Yellowjacket 22-May-15
Fisher 23-May-15
Fisher 24-May-15
20-May-15
Since this is a time of year when many bears are taken, I wanted to ask how I could go about getting some rendered grease, oil, or lard from black bears?

Can it be legally sold? Does anyone process it for sale?

If not, does anyone process it and distribute it somehow - gifts?

The reason that I am asking is that I have read many old remedies of using oil for joint pain, and of course lard for the best pie crust ever!

Thanks, Fisher

20-May-15
Most destinations you can't sell bear meat or parts. However there are many I'm sure that will share some with you free of charge!!

20-May-15
Foggy Mountain out of Maine may still sell it. I have some that I got from them years ago(40 years ago) that I mixed with bees wax and it makes the best waterproofing for boots that I have ever used. Shawn

20-May-15
Bullet lube, hair tonic, and :) ...so my grandpa said.

22-May-15
Thanks for the suggestions.

22-May-15
I had at one time about 20 lbs. of bear fat trimmed off and frozen off a couple of bears. I had a recipe I never tried and actually lost for boiling it down for boot oil. I'll look and see if I still have it. Getting old and can't remember if I tossed it out. If I have it and you pay shipping I'd give it to you. Will post again if I find it.

22-May-15
Check the Meateater website. I think he has some information on rendering bear fat.

23-May-15
Mt. man - I will gladly pay shipping. Please let me know. Thanks!

24-May-15
Yjacket - thanks for the suggestion. I need the fat first, then I can render it. I have a cast iron rendering kettle and a lard press.

• Sitka Gear