Cheesehead Mike 26-May-15
Bigwoods 26-May-15
Bigwoods 26-May-15
HoytMan 26-May-15
DiamondD 26-May-15
IdyllwildArcher 27-May-15
20-May-15
Hey guys,

I have all but shot through my old Block target with shooting A LOT of Slick tricks at 40, 50 & 60 yards. about 60 days before September elk season I switch to almost 100% BH's at my range. Target takes a beating. ST's do a number on it.

Any suggestions for a new target. Maybe something that allows me to pull the arrow out easier and also one that doesn't bring a handful of foam along with it.

TIA

20-May-15
The best I've used is called "The Blob". A guy on Archery Talk used to sell them out of recycled carpet backing. Thing weighs a TON but handles broadheads extremely well.

20-May-15
Blobs will last forever, but there is something abrasive in them. I have several, got a really good deal on them. I will not shoot my VPA's into them. I did a few times and it started to wear the coating off of them.

I do use them with my field points though. They are all nice and shiny. I also would not use them with carbon arrows. I would only use them with aluminum or FMJ's.

20-May-15
A pile of washed sand makes a great BH target.

20-May-15
Blob here also...I'm shooting mine for years with broadheads. I have a 3' x 3' ....the target has to be about 80 lbs.

20-May-15

snapcrackpop's embedded Photo
snapcrackpop's embedded Photo
This looks like a great target. The Matrix

20-May-15
Blob targets last forever.

20-May-15

Cheesehead Mike's Link
Here you go Will, check my link for some ideas...

20-May-15
I saw the Matrix pictured above at the Montana Bowhunters Association convention this March. It is indeed an awesome target.

20-May-15

Russell's Link
I've been using the King Broadhead Target, 28x28x20. It's only for BH. Don't shoot a field point into it. Very hard to remove if you do.

Solid BH's like the VPA non-vented don't tear-up the target much compared to a Snuffer SS, Montec, etc.

$200 delivered.

Shot the center up pretty good and repaired it with a can of window sealer.

20-May-15
sand or dirt, rock free is best. and it will not get weaker or fall apart

21-May-15
Just go to Wal-Mart, buy their BH/FP target. I have had one since 2001 and have shot the crap out of it.

I only shoot broad heads. When I start getting too much penetration; I fill the inside with spray foam and put a medium size pizza box for the target face and I am good for another season of shooting.

21-May-15
best broadhead target Ive ever used is a cardboard box stuffed with old clothes, easily stops a broadhead and wont damage it.

21-May-15
The Blob for sure. Lasts forever. I had a Rhinehart as well but they shoot out in a year or so if shooting a lot of broadheads. The blob lasts!

23-May-15
Whiskey08- is it hard to get the broadheads out?

I have a cardboard box with clothes. I shoot field points into it. Works well but arrows do get stuck sometimes.

23-May-15

BULELK1's Link
I have had good fortune with these targets.

See my link above

I use TH 3 blade 100 grain no mechanicals----

Cheaper pricing like Amazon Prime----

Good luck, Robb

23-May-15
Well my experience with a Blob was terrible. Blob lasts forever? Hardly. I got a 16x16x8. I bought it from someone on AT. He said "arrows will only stick in a few inches". "It will last for years." "Best BH target on the market."

The FIRST BH stuck out the back. Actually every BH sticks out the back. I was using a 584gr arrow with NAP Hellrazors at 70#, but still. I called him after the 4th shot. He said too bad. I even offered to pay return shipping. No way, wouldn't do anything for me.

Now my Blob is a base to set my Rinehart on.

23-May-15
"If your new broadhead target sits on top of your old broadhead target, you might be a redneck"

23-May-15
I picked up three Rhino blocks when I found them on sale at dicks, I am still on my first one...I think it will be shot out by this fall. Got about two years off it. It's a decent target for the money.

24-May-15
Ermine

Using the cardboard box is a little slower than pulling from a foam type target, but all I did was reach into box and feed the broadhead back out thru clothes, or just unscrew broadhead to make it easier.

The other thing I like about it is easy on the shafts, youll see if you try it, the arrow doesn't receive as much stress as shooting through a hard foam type target.

I cant bring myself to shoot my nice foam target with a broadhead, the one I have now Ive used for a few years now. I have shot it a few times with a broadhead and it really tears them up.

24-May-15
I used a Blob for a while and will never use one again. I took mine to the dump after several unreturned emails and phone calls to the guys who make them. As previously stated they contain abrasive material and the target wore the front 2" - 3" of my shafts down to the point they wouldn't tune with broad heads. I ruined 6 - 8 shafts and threw the money away on the target, too. They might last forever but at a cost. I use a Rinehart now and it lasts the best of any I've found.

24-May-15
I never saw or shot at a BLOB til today and all I can say is I was impressed. I was shooting my 56# Caribow recurve with broadheads and I was shooting at the same spot over and over at 15 yards. The target was incredible, arrow removal was no fun but I will be ordering one right away. They have a good price on the irregular ones right now from what I found on the internet. The owner of the one I shot today has had it over a year and said he has shot thousands upon thousands of broadheads into it, I hinestly did not believe him until I started shooting it myself. Shawn

25-May-15
I wonder why the wide extremes on reviews for the Blob? Are there after-market imitations out there?

26-May-15
Cheesehead Mike,

Any idea, even a ballpark, what that target you made weights? I'm going to make one regardless just wonder if it is very portable. Like throwing it in the back of the truck?

26-May-15

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
DiamondD,

It's pretty light, I'm guessing about 35 pounds. I carried it a couple hundred feet from my garage to the backyard no problem.

Throwing it in the back of the truck would be no problem, it's more bulky than it is heavy.

I'll weigh it if I get a chance...

26-May-15
I've been shooting carbons into the blob for years with no issues. It is an outstanding target and will last many years longer than the Rhinehart. The Rhinehart 18:1 was a huge disappointment for me and I would never buy one again.

26-May-15
Buck Watcher- if your first broadhead stuck out the back, you either got a very defective target or you are not shooting a blob

26-May-15
Truck load of sand...paid $25 bucks for it 8 years ago...self healing, easy arrow removal of both broadheads and field points...

26-May-15
Thanks Cheesehead Mike. No need to weigh it. I was just curious if it would be light enough to throw in the back of the truck and take to camp with me. I figured it was. I am building one exactly copying yours here as soon as I get to it.

27-May-15
Rhinharts are a great material for preserving arrows, but I do three things to make the target last:

1) File the front of your practice broadheads so they're the opposite of sharp. They won't penetrate as much.

2) Once you've turned the front several inches of the rhinhart into long triangles, use a can of white spray paint to make new dots to aim at. The smaller, the better. I like to poke holes in paper with a field point and spray paint onto the paper through the hole. Aim small, miss small.

3) When it really starts to get worn, extend the life of it a little by shooting through a few layers of cardboard. Once you start breaking through the back, it's toast. Cardboard will get you another 1000 shots if you do it before you start ripping chunks out of the back by breaking through.

• Sitka Gear