DiamondD 26-May-15
writer 26-May-15
IdyllwildArcher 26-May-15
Gerald Martin 27-May-15
JHP@home 27-May-15
22-May-15

JHP@home's embedded Photo
JHP@home's embedded Photo
Just got my Daughter setup with a Bear Outbreak. She is already shooting very consistent at 20 yards.

22-May-15
Way to go Dad! Here's to many years of enjoyment shooting together! Cheers!

22-May-15
Good deal! Draw length appears to be too long. I bet she'd shoot consistent out to 40 if you take an inch maybe 2 off the DL. Either way, great to see you got her into archery!

22-May-15
Way to get her set up! But, I agree, there is something about the draw length that isn't right.

22-May-15
DL looks short to me, but maybe its the picture. It looks like her left arm is to far to the right. Ideally you want her shooting over her left hip not her stomach. Mike

22-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I think her draw length is actually right on, just need to make a couple small form adjustments. Feet square to target, relax the grip a little, a slight bend at the elbow with elbow out and she'll be perfect. We've worked a lot on form with my daughter over the past year. It'd be easier to see what I'm talking about if she didn't have that baggy sweatshirt covering her elbow/arm position, etc.

22-May-15
Brotsky your daughters picture looks like she has very good form. Compare the 2 pictures and notice how far JHPs daughters left arm is pulled to her right. Maybe its a bad pic? Sure looks odd. Mike

22-May-15
Very nice JHP. Great to see them starting young.

As far as the form and draw length comments, hard to say because pictures can sometimes be a little deceiving. As a general rule of thumb if she's not getting her bow arm slapped, the DL is probably not too long. Looks like she has proper foot stance, slightly open to the target. And looking at her draw hand, the base of her thumb is locked at the back edge of the jawbone. Looks pretty good to me.

22-May-15
Agree with sticksender, it's very hard to tell from pictures due to angle, etc. Bottom line is you've got her out there shooting and that's all that really matters!

22-May-15
Way to go Dad! Enjoy the times together! C

22-May-15
First things first. Have her concentrate on putting more weight on her front foot. This will help with alignment. Draw while keeping the front shoulder down and dad can help straighten her hips and shoulders. When she draws and starts leaning back severely take one hand and push on her hip while the other is pushing onñ her opposite shoulder. Do this every time she draws to be her used to a T formation. After you get her straightened up you can address DL.

22-May-15
Good job Dad and congrats for getting her into archery. We need more folks getting their kids involved.

22-May-15
I forgot to add....it is awesome to see so many people involving their kids I'm archery. Good job dad!

26-May-15
Great job to both you dads! Love seeing any young people getting started and especially the young ladies.

26-May-15
Wow, a proud dad posts a pic of his daughter shooting and guys immediately critique her shooting form.

Hey, the main thing I see is that she's shooting a bow, with her dad.

Great for both of you, and here's hoping you both have a great fall!

26-May-15
Very cool.

Why's she arching her back so much? It looks like she's leaning into the draw. She needs to bend her knees and waist.

If she's struggling with back tension strength, her draw wt may be a little high for her experience level. For now. But bad habits develop early on from too high of a draw wt.

27-May-15
Looks great Dad and daughter. Don't take all the unasked for advice as criticism. :) Everybody just wants to help something good get even better. I think most of us here realize now it's easier to learn good form from the start than trying to overcome entrenched bad habits that show up later. Best of luck to your daughter!

27-May-15
Ahh no offense taken whatsoever. I know everyone means well. Truth is I was more concerned with the way she was punching the release after a mishap drawing back the first day. Accidently triggered the release when pulling back. But watching her blow nocks off previous arrows shot in the 10 ring reminded me that the end result is most important. Can't argue with success. And yes we are having a blast shooting. Next is a 3D shoot.

• Sitka Gear