tacklebox 29-May-15
bentstick 29-May-15
Jim in PA 30-May-15
bentstick 30-May-15
TD 30-May-15
HoytsDad 30-May-15
bowhuntingspain 23-Aug-15
23-May-15
I've been contemplating a hunt for Daghestan tur. I'm looking for someone to talk to that has tried this hunt with a bow. Anyone here have any leads? Thanks

23-May-15
To my knowledge only a handful of bowhunters have done this hunt. My hunting partner and I looked very hard at this hunt for a number of years but did not do it. It appeared that it would take several trips.

Tom Hoffman went about 4 times to get the job done. Archie Nesbit did it on one trip with a 95 yard shot. Kevin Peterson killed one in one trip. Jack Frost has gone possibly several times I do not know if he killed one. No doubt there are others I don't know of. Of course the legendary Joe Kulis was probably the first to try, he ended up killing his with a firearm which was no. 1 for a long time.

Feel free to PM me. I know what I would do if I was going to do it. Make no mistake in all likelihood it is the toughest mountain animal that a bowhunter may hunt. I suppose a Kuban Tur might be harder..........

23-May-15
I'd try a free range bowhunt for Aoudad before you lay down the green for Tur.

24-May-15

Mountain.Blade's embedded Photo
Mountain.Blade's embedded Photo
Im going there next season. Hunting Asia is difficult ! Trying my luck on stone sheep this fall !

24-May-15
Make no mistake, there is a reason they call a Tur hunt " graduate school for sheep hunters". The good news is you will see a lot of animals but some of them may as well be on the moon. We had a couple of groups on one particular mountain numbering about 400. Each evening they would feed over the top which happened to be th Russian border and in the morning they would come back. Problem was we were at 8500 ft, the Tur were at 12,000 and to get to them we would have to drop down to the river which was 4,000 and start from there.

If you go you will have an incredible experience. Who are you thinking of going with?

24-May-15

bentstick's embedded Photo
bentstick's embedded Photo
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure who I'd go with at this point. No one really has much or any experience with bow hunters. I've hunted some mountain game on this continent, and although I haven't killed everything here yet I'd like to try something really different while my legs are good enough. Mid-Asian/Siberian Ibex is also on the short list, I've hunted Ibex a couple of times in the Florida Mountains and its been a great experience.

24-May-15
I was talking to Tom Miranda at the SCI convention and I know he has a hunt planned. His game plan is to set up a blind and sit and wait.

26-May-15
When We were there we sat one afternoon in a rock blind overlooking a small canyon off of a much larger one. They told me that Tom Hoffman had killed his there. Could all be BS but we did see Tur from that position. They are big on driving them( another story) so it is possible they pushed them right up to that spot.

26-May-15
Frost killed one a week or two ago. Miranda was with him and did not get one but is going back. PM Tom Miranda.

26-May-15
Frost killed on first day if I'm not mistaken?

28-May-15
Toms plan was sit a blind and not leave for a couple weeks. Its going to be hit or miss no matter what. I know that BSC books some mongolia archery Ibex hunts. I think its about 30% success but they at least have a plan.

I tried midasian ibex with an outfitter without a plan and it became a rifle hunt in a hurry. Its all dependant on the local guides and a lot of luck/patience no matter the booking agent.

29-May-15
40 yrd shot

29-May-15
I would start with an Mid-Asian Ibex first as the price is a great value for the experience. It will also get you somewhat acclimated to hunting in Asia...totally different world.

29-May-15

Jim in PA's embedded Photo
Jim in PA's embedded Photo
Got this sent this am from the outfitter

29-May-15
Congratulations Jack !

Fantastic, look at the smiles on both of their faces. That says it all.

Very few will realize what an accomplishment occurred right there.

29-May-15
Wow..... incredibly cool

29-May-15
That's great!

30-May-15
"Very few will realize what an accomplishment occurred right there."

^^^^^That^^^^

A Tur hunt is one of the better values in mountain hunting. The prices are in line with a decent elk or goat hunt and cheaper than a BC or alaska moose hunt. Plus it is a real international adventure.

30-May-15
This echoes my thoughts as well!

30-May-15
I had to look em up... never knew such an animal existed.... pretty unique.

Good luck gents!

Seems like anywhere you would hunt in the world there will be a little smiley face that says "Jack frost was here". LOL!

30-May-15
The first international hunt i want to do after i accomplish come goals in NA.

23-Aug-15

bowhuntingspain's embedded Photo
bowhuntingspain's embedded Photo
Very tough hunt, as it is highly physical demanding. Sometimes, you lose balance and it becomes dangerous. But it's worth it. I loved it.

• Sitka Gear