Mark Watkins 25-May-15
Simple 27-May-15
Simple 27-May-15
Simple 27-May-15
IdyllwildArcher 27-May-15
24-May-15

Buckiller's embedded Photo
Buckiller's embedded Photo
I've had this idea for some time now, just never had tabs on cedar logs. We'll yesterday I came accross a few that had just been cut laying in the ditch. I contacted the landowner and he said to help myself. So this morning I got the post hole digger and put two of these in. I'm curious to see the results come fall. Anyone else do this?

24-May-15
I'll be intrested how it works out for you. I've seen them in open prairie (few trees) type terrain be heavily used, but I would skeptical as to their "drawing power" to deer with all other possible rubbing options they seem to have in your pic.

Good luck, put up a cam this fall and let us know how it goes.

--Jim

24-May-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Matt and I have used mock rub trees but only near a big food source so we could funnel the bucks to our stands. Magnets for sure! Good luck! C

24-May-15

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I moved this rubbing post to another spot after we torn the fence line out. They went right back to using it.

Great place set one near a stand & to set a trail camera too.

Tried the mock rub tree like Charlie & Matt's last year too. Worked pretty good. I'm going to try and make a mock scrape at the posts by drilling a hole at the top & attach a licking branch along with making a scrape below. I have read about guys doing this so I'll give it a try.

Anybody have an opinion as to the best type of tree to use for this? They seem to like cedar posts pretty good. I've heard they like white pine but we don't have any in this area, but I have a lead on getting some.

24-May-15

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Here's another one that I relocated to a better potential spot.

24-May-15
I found they work much better wheny ou rough them up with a wood rasp and then, pee on them. I am not kidding. Imade several of them over a four or five year period. Have yet to figure out why.

24-May-15
I'm thinking of setting some posts next to the existing ones to see if I can get them to start using them & then relocate those.

24-May-15
I agree about rubbing them up a bit. Make them look like they have been used by another buck already. My buddy who hunts a state park in Illinois has a pick of one that he found about 8 years ago. This past Nov. the deer finally rubbed through it. Pretty cool! Shawn

25-May-15
Don't know what there is about cedar, but the few wild growing cedars we have in my area, bucks will go out of their way to rub on them...

25-May-15
Something special about cedar posts (and trees) for sure....shot my 2011 buck off one while he was throttling it. One week after killing the 145" buck the other bucks had rubbed the post in half.

I just augured another hole to put in another fence post.

T-roy, am going to try the licking branch trick this season as well!

Mark

27-May-15

Simple's embedded Photo
Simple's embedded Photo
Here's a natural one. They seem to have to stop and at least sniff if not rub.

Simple

27-May-15

Simple's embedded Photo
Simple's embedded Photo
Another

27-May-15

Simple's embedded Photo
Simple's embedded Photo
Another

27-May-15
Whoa, whoa, whoa, way too much post rubbing on this thread.

What the hell are you guys talking about?

• Sitka Gear