PREDATOR 24-May-15
78cj5 25-May-15
bowhunter 25-May-15
HuntEasy 25-May-15
78cj5 26-May-15
bowhunter 26-May-15
Pmixmaster 29-May-15
24-May-15
Has anyone Hunter unit 15 Datil area for elk? What can be expected from that area?

24-May-15
I hunted it a number of years ago for mulies and wished I would have had a tag for elk. Go up as high as you can get because it will be pretty warm and if you can find a pothole or two that holds water I'd be sitting on them at least during the hotter part of the day and especially if the rut is going.

24-May-15
The entire unit has elk. Don't marry any one spot. Unit has roads all over but you can get away from the pressure if you keep moving until you find elk and a bit of seclusion. Don't overlook some areas close to main roads that all other hunters drive right by......

24-May-15
do you have a unit wide tag?

25-May-15
Datil is in Unit 13 or 16E. Unit 15 is a little further west towards Pie Town on US 60. Going southwest on NM 12 towards Reserve unit 15 starts at Greens Gap Road about 10 miles from Datil. From what I remember last year the mountains SW of Datil are in unit 13 and 15 starts kind of on the "plains". There are elk all over unit 15 but make sure you know where the boundaries are. If questioning go to the G&F website for unit boundaries, here is the one for unit 15. http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/game-management-unit-map-boundaries-highres-15.pdf

25-May-15
Sorry, I drew 2nd Smoke pole in October, just got back from Reserve where I drove about 100 miles on my ATV looking for areas to hunt, that area is extremely dry, found 4 nice water tanks, but want to avoid that long drive was hoping for something a bit closer to Socorro.

25-May-15
I've been hearing reports of rain the last couple months? Maybe it's been missing 15 and just hitting the areas close by... Typical monsoon hits around July which hopefully brings in some moisture.

26-May-15
I would try going to Quamado as I think US 60 is an easier drive than NM 12 and turn south there at 32. Anywhere from Pie Town to Quamado on the south side of US 60 you are looking at your unit. The pie is definitely worth stopping for. You can even do some fishing out at the lake. Last year coming back from Reserve in the dark after my bow hunt I almost had 10 elk crossing incidents on NM 12. Mainly between Reserve and Old Horse Springs.

I will be down in 16D to see what the rain is doing there but we have been getting rain almost daily here at my house. We got rained out as the zoo today in Albq..

26-May-15
78cj5, thanks I think I'll be going to Reserve area, I also live here in Rio Rancho.

29-May-15
datil is not in 15 i hunted a wet year in 2013 and had some great action and luck in the general area of torriete lake

• Sitka Gear