Fulldraw1972 27-May-15
WapitiBob 28-May-15
IdyllwildArcher 28-May-15
Barty1970 28-May-15
jims 28-May-15
ELKMAN 28-May-15
txhunter58 28-May-15
24-May-15
I'm am planning a hunt in Wyoming for elk. I plan on hunting first week of season as well as last week of September into first week of October. Not worried about budget but more the brand, weight, and for some reason most interest in the thinsulate you guys recommend. All the threads so far talk about brand but I'm looking for more specifics. Thanks I'm advance!

24-May-15
Lowa Tibet gtx, and hunter evo gtx with primaloft are my two favorites.

24-May-15
I haven't had Thinsulate in a boot for the last 20 years. I hunt WY every year in Oct.

24-May-15
I'm with Bob on the insulation. I like a 6/7 inch all leather boot that fits my foot good. One that my heel won't lift out of, or my toe jam forward. Basically one that fits "your" foot right/good. I'm sure guys will recommend to you witch boots are good.. Just make sure they fit good. I'm not craze about very stiff soles.. You must try them on and see what feels best on you. Ed

24-May-15
I'm with Bob. Uninsulated boots. Find what works best for your feet.

24-May-15
I always take two pair (uninsulated and insulated). However, if I had to take only one pair, they would have 200-400 gr of thinsulate at the most. You don't want more for hiking/sweating in the mountains.

Best two recommendations I can give you are Cabelas Mendl boots: Perfekt hunter and Alaskan hunter. I like the Perfekts because they give plenty of support without being extremely stiff. Alaskan hunters will be a stiffer boot if you like lots of support.

Notice on both of those boots, they say Made In Germany. Don't buy any Mendls that say "imported" those are made in Asia and are not the same quality

You probably can't go wrong going uninsulated either. With whatever boots you choose, you should get merino wool socks. Best thing that ever happened to feet!

24-May-15
I may be in the minority but I wear insulated boots even in the dead of summer. I find they insulate from the heat as well as the cold. I love my Irish Setter Elk Hunters. Comfy right from the get go, they are like a broken in boot from the time I put them on. I hunt the adirondacks a few times a year and they are my go to boots. They are not the lightest but give me the best support of any boot I have tried. They are a very high boot and mine have 1000 grams of thinsulate in them. Shawn

24-May-15
I was looking at the irish setter trail blazer 867 uninsulated. It is basically the same as the elk tracker which is 12". The trail blazer is 7 inch high. I think the 12" may be too high.

24-May-15
Try them I like the support especially in rugged country. Shawn

24-May-15
Kayland, don't know the weight, i have never worn insulated boots elk hunting in Colorado, I wear different socks if it's cold.

24-May-15
Crispi idaho's: uninsulated, 1.7 lb's per boot at 9 " high.

Best boot you will buy

24-May-15

elkmtngear's Link
Check the link for a very informative boot thread

Best of Luck Jeff

24-May-15
Here is what I have observed concerning purchasing a new pair of hunting boots for elk hunting.

1. Usually one foot is longer and sometimes wider, so purchase the boots to fit that foot.and then make do the other foot. Check you your feet and you might be surprised.

2. I have always replaced the boot insole with one that gives my feet the best support. Normally the insole that come with the boots do not. Make sure you fit the new replacement insole to see if the boot will fit before you purchase it.

3. Give your self plenty of toe room especially if you might use a thin under-sock under your regular sock.

4. Trim your toe nails prior to the hunt. Tape any hot spots on your toes to prevent blisters.

5. I like a stiffer boot to give me a lot of ankle support so a boot (8 in boot) that is a few inches above the ankle is good. Stiffer boot also helps in packing out a heavy load.

6. I also like at least 400 gr. of insulation.

7 "waterproof" breathable, is important. Treat boots if needed.

8. I like a fairly aggressive tread to aid in climbing/side-hilling, and down hill travel.

9. if the new boots do not have a protective toe cap, I apply a toe cap with an after market coating.

10. wear boots (break in) at least 2 months prior to the hunt.

11. Sore feet, blisters, tired feet, ankle strain, can all ruin your hunt.

12. You feet, ie boots with make or break your hunt.

My best, Paul

25-May-15
I wear noninsulated boots 99% of the time. My favorites are 7" Asolo Bajura's that come in at 3lbs 12 oz.

Since I hunt out of my camper, space isn't an issue, so I also bring along a pair of Cabela's boots with 400 grams insulation... just in case. It doesn't happen often, but when it dumps a foot of snow and dips into single digits, I'm glad I have them.

25-May-15
Russell boots,

Go to their web-site and build a boot specific to your needs and more importantly ''to your feet''! To have a over the counter boot fit the way a boot built specifically to ''your'' feet is rare. After 30+ years of wearing $200+ over the counter boots, I made the plunge for Russell's and my feet thank me on every outing.

25-May-15
I always buy gortex boots. I also wear uninsulated boots in the middle of winter in Wyo and Colo...your feet will sweat if you have insulation in boots in Sept/Oct! Elk hunting isn't like whitetail hunting....sitting in a tree stand for hours! Your feet won't get cold but they more than likely will get hot and sweaty!

I'm not sure of the terrain you are hunting but I use the lightest boots available for early season elk hunting. I cover miles and miles while elk hunting and you will be thankful having light boots! It's pretty tough to beat Lowa Renegades or similar Scarpa boots. Take a look at the reviews!

You will find out you can stalk a lot quieter in softer soles and lighter boots! I LOVE Lowa Tibets for sheep and mtn goat hunting but they are IMPOSSIBLE to stalk quietly with stiff soles, higher ankle support, more weight, and less flexibility. The thicker the soles, leather, etc the tougher it will be to stalk quietly!

I throw in the garbage the insoles that come with all my boots. I need a lot of cushion so put in replacement insoles. Superfeet don't work for my feet because they are so hard but some guys swear by them. Depending on the thickness of insoles you buy you may need to buy a 1/2 larger size boot.

I would also recommend socks with padding in the bottom that dry super quick. I really like Thorlos. They make them in different thickness. I would rather put on thicker socks in the winter than be stuck with insulated boots hunting in Sept and Oct!

Everyone's feet are a little different so find a pair that work for you!

25-May-15
I have bought and tried two many pair of boots to mention. I have three pair I hunt with Asolo GTX Fugitive, New Danner pronghorns and Zamberlan 980 outfitters. The last are stiff but great for me backpacking and these are replacing my Lowa Sheep Hunters that are still serviceable but squeak to much now. I take all three with me and depending on how far I am going it determines what I wear. Insoles are key!

Just my two cents worth!!

25-May-15
Can't imagine how much my feet would sweat in an insulated boot. Way too warm and too many miles on an elk hunt for me.

25-May-15
I only wear uninsulated boots in the early season for many of the reasons mentioned above (I plan to replace my current pair of worn hunting boots with Red Wing Trailblazers soon). I switch to insulated pac boots after - and ONLY after - the snow flys.

25-May-15
You guys rock. So much goof info.

25-May-15
I also go uninsulated. With Two pairs of socks, no cotton. As long as the boot is broken in and fits your foot you are good. My current boot is a danner pronghorn which probably toward the cheap end of what's been suggested so far.

25-May-15
Danner Canadians (the tall ones), 600 grams Thinsulate. Bought them several years ago for around $235.

I don't think they make them any more.

25-May-15
If money doesn't matter call Lathrop and Sons. Get there foot imprint thing sent and go from there. Otherwise buy a few wear them around the house and if they don't fit send them back. After you find a brand that fits you stick to models made by them. Like Wyo I do not wear insulated very much any more and the Asolo brand fits my feet and very light. Gore-Tex always. Don't forget some good quiet Gaiters for the dew, rain and snow.

25-May-15
If snow is not on the ground, I wear sandals. Way quieter.

25-May-15
If snow is not on the ground, I wear sandals. Way quieter.

25-May-15
Just to follow up, I am not from Boulder.

25-May-15
But you probably smoke weed?

26-May-15
Jims, nope. Never have.

27-May-15
apparently he likes the edibles

27-May-15
I use uninsulated Meindl Denalis and, for me, these are the perfect boot. As long as I'm moving, I've used them comfortable from 0 degrees to 80 degrees. If you stand still and temps are in the single digits, your feet will get cold in a hurry.

But, for elk hunting, I wouldn't bother with insulated boots. Your feet will be more likely to sweat, and then good luck keeping them warm.

Everyone's feet are different, so try on a bunch and see what feels best. The Denalis are good right away for me, but once they are broken in, they are so comfortable that I don't want to take them off at the end of the day. With other boots I've had it's all I could think about.

Good luck and, as others have pointed out, look for a good aftermarket insole. I have prescription ones that work well for me.

27-May-15
I am an uninsulated guy as well for all my western hunts. I have been using the Salomon Quest 4D GTX but I am really contemplating the Lowa Cevendale GTX from Lathrop and Sons. The Salomon's do good, they are extremely light. More of a hiking boot on steroids. The Gen 2 this year are suppose to have some improvements. One thing I have noticed is the laces don't work loose.

My left foot is a little wider then my right so I buy what fits the left and the right don't mind.

I try to have a good inch extra for length in the toe box for movement. It sucks having toes at the front of your boots on the steep downhills you will be facing.

28-May-15
Quest 4d on sale at backcountry dot com for 139. Sale price shows at checkout.

28-May-15
I use a hiking shoe with a gator and two pairs of merino wool socks on days with 10% chance of rain or less. Light weight, dries fast, slips off quickly for a stalk in socks (quiet).

If you have heavy boots, you literally lift thousands of pounds a day when wearing a heavy boot.

Back country camping, I wear the boot since carrying multiple pairs of shoes in doesn't make sense.

Every year, a couple hundred people do the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada. It's about 2600 miles and takes 4 months. They don't wear boots. They wear tennis shoes or trail shoes and replace them every two to three weeks. There's a reason for that. Part of it is that they're on a developed trail, but it's mostly due to the fact that, when you're doing 20 to 25 miles a day with elevation gain/loss, a heavy boot wears you out. Boot (shoe) wt is one of the top considerations when they select what they put on their feet.

When I choose a boot, I err on the side of hot and wear it big with 2 pairs of thick Merino wool socks. IMO, it's better to have 2 pairs of socks on when it's hot than it is to have one pair of socks on when it's cold. An uninsulated boot with two pairs of Merino wool socks will do you fine down to 10 degrees and in the snow. You won't see much worse than that elk hunting. If you're hunting into Oct, consider bringing foot warmers.

I sat 6 days in NE in 7 degree weather from dawn till dusk in hiking shoes/gators with two pairs of Bass Pro Merino wool socks with a toe warmer between each sock - replaced the toe warmer mid day. Was never cold for a second.

28-May-15
'A pound on the foot is a stone on the back'; I'm getting on well so far with the Quest 4D, my wife has the Lowa Renegade which she loves

Smartwool socks are the bomb

28-May-15
I would agree 100% with the comment in regard to boot weight and lifting your legs thousands of times each day. My preference is always lighter boots as long as I'm not on super steep slopes. For sheep and mtn goat terrain it's nice having stiffer soles and uppers.

I'm kindof curious about your comment in regard to 2 wool socks? I imagine putting 2 sets of socks adds weight...just like wearing heavier boots? I hunt Colo and Wyo on a regular basis and never have cold feet with just 1 pair of socks....even in the middle of winter. I usually am pretty active and don't sit very long...however, sweaty feet are a constant problem! I don't like wet feet! I was hunting elk in Wyo this year in mid November in single diget weather....hiking in snow and never had a problem with cold feet with uninsulated boots and 1 pair of socks. If my feet sweat while hiking and it was 7 degrees and I sat down after a long hike ...that would be a definite problem with cold!

If you think about, carrying gators around every day is additional weight on your back. I've never had a problem with my feet getting wet by a little dew or even rain while hunting elk in Colo and Wyo. I add a fresh coat of Nikwax to my boots before the season. If it rains I obviously have rainpants plus gortex boots and I'm pretty much good. Obviously rainpants are more weight on your back but a necessity when it rains. I can't think of any reason why someone would carry rainpants plus gators all day?

2 pairs of socks + gators = more weight on your back!

28-May-15
I am squarely in the no insulation camp. As far as brand, I really like the Meindl offerings from Cabelas. The new Western Guides and the Denalis to be exact. Very good value, and unbelievable on the mountain.

28-May-15
I have a pair of Denalis and love them for tougher country, but they are not light weight. I have a lighter pair of 8" boots for lighter hunts. Currently those are Irish setter Vaprtrek boots

On the insulation issue, I agree with what most have said on unisulated boots doing the job. However, you don't hunt in the mountains that often and I haven't found 200 gr of insulation to add much weight or make my feet sweat that much. So you would have some insulated boots to wear when hunting your home state on stand

• Sitka Gear