Contributors to this thread:
Cheque 01-Jun-15
Florida Mike 01-Jun-15
Fuzzy 01-Jun-15
Beendare 01-Jun-15
Fuzzy 01-Jun-15
Cheque 01-Jun-15
01-Jun-15
I've been helping my in-laws around the farm the last while and there have been a few pigs around recently. A few of them got loose and needed catching and after we were done I got to wondering what the difference is between domestic hogs and feral hogs when it comes to exertion/overheating. If you run a domestic hog too much especially in hot weather, you can kill them. They'll just lay down panting in a corner and die. Would this happen to say a Georgia hog on a 90 degree day that had been run by dogs and got away? If not, then why? Are they just in better shape from living in the wild? I've never had the chance to hunt hogs yet so I don't have any first hand experience with them. Thanks!

01-Jun-15
Wild hogs are in much better shape and can run for a ways before stopping to fight. That buffet line is killing us all! Mike

01-Jun-15
ditto Florida Mike.... dogs can run them to death in hot weather, if the dogs are fresh but the hogs normally will bay up and fight, well before that happens

01-Jun-15
I ran hogs for years with dogs and have never seen one die from exertion.

When they can't outrun the dogs, even the small ones would pick a spot they can back in to and defend their backside; hole in a creek bottom, thick brush, boulder pile, etc- and turn to fight

01-Jun-15
beendare, my point exactly, they will fight to the death before they'll be run to death

01-Jun-15
That answers my question thanks guys! It just popped into my head after the 150 lb porker we'd been recapturing lay there panting like Big Mac runnin a 5k. Conditioning is as big for animals as for us I guess. Thanks again!

• Sitka Gear