Charlie Rehor 01-Jul-15
flyingbrass 01-Jul-15
gobbler 02-Jul-15
Shrewski 02-Jul-15
No Bark 14-Jul-15
SDHNTR(home) 14-Jul-15
Bake 14-Jul-15
17-Jun-15
I'm looking for a discussion on why you chose the paid research tool you use. Don't want a pissin' match on one being better than another, just why you chose the one you did. So, Huntin' fool, Eastmans, go hunt and all the rest, why did you you choose it and would you recommend it?

01-Jul-15
Give this another try

01-Jul-15
I've used Huntin' Fool and Eastmans. HF is easier to read, a little more detailed and goes more in depth about the draw process but it should be better at $100 per year.

01-Jul-15
I prefer the Free Research Tools that post on Bowsite...

01-Jul-15
I only use Hunter's Trailhead, but not their service, just the website. I do all my own research and find it very enjoyable. HT just helps me do some of the things I would otherwise do, a little faster, and helps with links.

$25/yr for the website, well worth it.

I would never use a service that recommended a unit for me since they're doing the same for everyone else as well.

In fact, you can look at the application data on HT and see the corresponding changes in recommendations on HF when they bump a unit up or down. I've seen it especially in the southwest - NV, AZ especially, that I've corresponded with a friend's HF subscription.

01-Jul-15
I'm new but I use startmyhunt.com. As a beginner, it gives me a great set of locations to start looking for elk.

Whenever I fish a new lake, I buy a Fishing HotSpots map. They are very helpful. They point out various features that are likely to help find fish.

I consider the startmyhunt maps to be analogous for elk hunting.

01-Jul-15
I'm a member of Huntin' Fool. I do all my own applications and make those choices based on several sources. I apply for several species in several states and HF makes it easy to never miss a deadline. They also have a pretty nice website where I can keep up with my points and ID numbers for all the states. Their magazine has a few good stories also.

01-Jul-15
I've subscribed to Eastman's for 6 years. Used it as a tool to get started doing research (didn't know anybody that applied to multiple states). I like analyzing data. I still subscribe to Eastman's but my reasons have changed.

I use their data as a tool for where not to apply. For instance, last year they mistyped odds for a good elk tag. It happened to be a tag I apply for...so I didn't apply for it and waste my app. This year the odds were corrected, I applied and got the tag.

01-Jul-15
I get what ever I need from Bowsite and I don't have to pay a penny. I used to do Huntin Fool before Bowsite but info here is very current and well worth the annual fee:)

For example: You were just reminded that today is the first day to buy a preference point in Wyoming! Done!!

01-Jul-15
I use the Fool to counterpunch. I read where they say don't apply and that is where I apply. I shot a 372" bull in their don't apply area last year. Got lucky I guess.

02-Jul-15
I get HF and Eastmans to use as a tool with other tools as in a toolbox to get the job done. Bowsite, monster Muley, trails head. The Hunting report are in the box too. I don't think any have the ultimate answer for every question. As in most things in life it best to get multiple opinions and make your own decision .

I took a great archery bull in AZ based on HF recommendations, I also took a 185 and change Muley in AZ on a hunt HF told me not to go on. I took a nice 20 inch 9 pt. with my bow In Iowa based on a recommendation from bowsite.

I think it's best to get all the info you can to help make an informed decision

02-Jul-15
Hunters Trailhead is worth every penny as they compile all the numbers well and put it where I can get it all in one place. Well worth it.

Eastman's is horrible. Everything is cut and paste year to year and full of endless errors. I can't wait for my subscription to end. Top that off with them taking away the online MRS which was already paid for and charging an extra $20 for it...frauds. Anybody notice the "Gear Reviews" are all advertisers and everything is better than sliced bread? Savage rifles are the Eastman "choice"? Classy...

A friend and I used to split Huntin Fool; I killed a 361" bull in one of their "poor, do not apply" areas. Used it to know which top tier areas to a avoid. I'm a 2nd tier kinda guy ;-)

14-Jul-15
Thanks for thoughts! Like many I've used Eastmans and had a buddy with a HF sub that I looked at for a few years. I also do my own apps and the boys and enjoy the research, but I guess I'm looking for some confirmation of what I find?

14-Jul-15
Huntin Fool, for one reason alone... The list of prior tag holders and their phone numbers. That alone is worth the fee and sets them apart from the others, IMO.

14-Jul-15
I let my HF subscription lapse, and will be letting my Eastman's subscription lapse as well.

Got to where I was looking at the pictures only, and not reading the same old story over and over

"I drew the tag, worked my butt off. Killed him"

Got old for me

I found them really useful as I started the application game. After 6 or 7 years of it, and prolonged exposure to Bowsite, I no longer think it necessary for me personally

Bake

• Sitka Gear