coelker 28-Jun-15
TRADSTYK 30-Jun-15
J.C. 30-Jun-15
Robertfishes 17-Jul-15
BMG2 19-Jul-15
>>>---WW----> 19-Jul-15
MDcrazyman 19-Jul-15
22-Jun-15
A buddy talked to a body shop guy who said he was seeing a lot of 2 and 3 year old trucks (rams @ silverados in particular) with serious rust around the wheel wells. The problem is caused by styrafoam used for sound insulation gets wet and breaks down. Has anyone seen this problem on fords or tundras. I was thinking about buying a ram or chevy,now I'm not sure.

22-Jun-15
Not a spec on my 2011 tundra

22-Jun-15
The 2015 F150 won't rust. Hopefully there aren't other issues with the aluminum body.

Meanwhile my old '04 Titan still looks fine except for the rock chips on the hood. They show a bit of rust but nothing serious.

22-Jun-15
It is an '03 though. My Ford F350 with it's 7.3 diesel has 300K on it and has never broke down. Not once and that's after lots of serious towing and abuse.

But you need a tetanus shot to look under the wheel wells. LOL :-)

22-Jun-15
2012 silverado,no sign of any rust.

22-Jun-15
07 Toyota tundra no rust but very common with many dodges. Buy once, buy Toyota!

22-Jun-15
There is a ton of variables in regards to the rust on these trucks. I have a 2006 Suburban here in the rust belt with no rust on it. So much of it depends on the maintenance on the truck, garage use, etc. All of the trucks have much better paint and rust preventative measures then in years past. Buy the truck you want with the options you want and one that suits your needs.

22-Jun-15
'95 Ford F150 seems to have almost as much rust as metal on the botton half of the body.

But it's at 307,000 miles on the original motor, transmission and has never needed any part replaced more than once.

The way I look at it, nobody is going to steal it and it's been paid for for about a dozen years!

22-Jun-15
As a auto shop owner I've seen lots of rust on trucks. Some of the worst was the chevy and gmc's from 2002 to 2006. I had a 2006 chevy pickup fail inspection a few weeks back because of rust and it does not sit on a dirt driveway. Seen a ford get a make over and it was a 2010, it was starting to get rush spot all over. I can say we have failed just about every brand of truck from about 2006 and back from rust and I'm not talking about exhaust rust fails. Being in Pa with lots of salt used and that salty water they put on the roads right before a snow storm is rusting things out very fast. Pa has to be one of the worst state for rusty cars and trucks. I have some customers that use a hand pump like the ones that you spray weeds with and they spray the undersides of their trucks frame/body with use motor oil and you know it helps a lot. They do it a few 2/3 times a year.. Some started after the rust started. I think it helped keep their trucks from rusting more or it really helped slow the rusting down.

22-Jun-15
Salt for winter ice is what causes more rust than anything water. I don't know about the Styrofoam in the trucks you listed. Never seen it myself. But, I've never took one apart either.

I've got a 2011 Ford F150. It has 104,000 and change. Dual exhaust, Improved air intake, a whammy of a program put into the computer that has increased Horsepower through the roof and gas mileage about 4 mpg. No amount of Styrofoam will quieten it when I get into it. And, it has no rust on it because I keep it sprayed off, under carriage too, when ever winter weather allows. It will flat out haul the mail. UUURRR, UUURRRR, UUUURRRR, Yeah!!!!!!!!

Makes me proud to be an American matter of fact. Not just the power but, knowing I will never buy another vehicle that was used to barter votes and further enslave the working class of America. Be a proud American. Buy a Ford or even a Toyota before you buy a GM or Chrysler product. Let the slim balls union slaves choke on their own crap. Buy a product made for Americans, by Americans that represent the American way. Just my opinion. God Bless

22-Jun-15
I have a 2012 titan with no body rust at all and very very little under the truck. I live in wisconsin and some winters there is salt on the roads from November to March. I believe titans have a 5 year unlimited mile rust waranty. Spray off road salt build up and all is good.

23-Jun-15
I've been using "Fluid Film" to protect the frame and underside steelnof my pickup, cargo/camping trailer, quad trailer etc recently. Google it....seems like good stuff so far and can be bought bulk if you want to put it on with an air compressor. Three 13 ounce spray cans will do the underside of a F350.

23-Jun-15
I have a 2010 F150 with rust on both cab corners have rust,had it since it was about 3 years old,same spot both sides. I have a 2003 F250 and it has no rust.

23-Jun-15
I have an 04 F250 6.0 and my bed is extremely rusted out.

I used LYNEX spray in liner so the inside of bed is OK But underneath is really bad especially the wheel wells.

23-Jun-15
That's true about the foam in the wheel wells of the Rams, they have been doing that for a while.

23-Jun-15
i have 2007 Ram 1500 not a spec of rust on it. When I got it i took off the back wheels and cleaned off the inner fender walls and sprayed undercoating and the rest is great.

23-Jun-15
I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado and Teeton is right on! Thing started rusting early. Looks like total poop right now. Sucks since it only has 114,000 miles on it. Started on the rockers and then hit the wheel wells. You'd think after how many years of making vehicles that automakers would know how to make a vehicle that resists rusting. Pisses me off with the price of trucks.

23-Jun-15
That's what they make duct tape for guys .

23-Jun-15
Hi guy's. for the one's that did post on this thread and the one's that will. Would you please post the state that you are in and if your state use's salt. Thanks Ed

23-Jun-15
Kurt has great advice.

Fluid film is used by lots of snow removal companies to keep there trucks and equipment free is rust. Stuff works incredible........

23-Jun-15
Guys read the post 2 and 3 year old rams and silverados. Not toyotas or not 2005 trucks. I have seen that too, wondering if it's a major issue across those lines or just a specific run. Will be interesting if the dealers stand behind it.

23-Jun-15
I have a 2006 Chevy Silvarado 2500 and WV uses tons of salt and no rust. 137,000 miles.

23-Jun-15
2010 F150 no rust. Colorado, they use magnesium chloride here and not that much. Snow usually melts on its own in Denver after a few days.

23-Jun-15
2006 Tundra. Wisconsin. They use everything here including cheese brine. But no rust.

On a side note my Tundra had a recall a year or two ago for rusty frames. My wasn't but they did seal the frame to prevent any future rust.

23-Jun-15
I guess I must be the only one who under coats there own vehicles. my old dodge made 20yrs before the salt from NJ ate its way through. Wont stop me from buying another dodge , when u guys get a new vehicle stop at auto parts store and get 6-7 cans, its worth it.

23-Jun-15
LS

He did ask "Has anyone seen this problem on fords or tundras"

23-Jun-15
OMG, a topic went slightly off topic from Fords to Chevys. Probably the first time anything like this has ever happened on bowsite. I hope this dosen't start a trend..

24-Jun-15
I have a 97 3/4 ton Suburban that's been a WI vehicle all it's life. I just found the first spot of surface rust on the lower left 1/4 panel. I will fix that in a week. Treat them right and keep them as clean as you can and it really helps.

24-Jun-15
I had a 2001 Ram 1500 I kept until 2007... No rust anywhere... I traded it on a 2004 Ram 3500 Dually I kept till 2011 - no rust whatsoever. I traded it for a 2009 Ram 2500 that I drive everyday still. Body and frame are perfect with no sign of rust... Oklahoma...usually about 2-3 weeks a year of salted roads...

24-Jun-15
My old f250 diesel rusted to hell but was close to 280k the motor probably still working on some farm. Had my 01 f150 til 12 rusted out floor boards and wheel wells 210k when I traded it. Wife's 05 escape rusted out wheel wells with 70k. I've always bought ford but just couldn't do it this time. Bought a nissan first foreign car I ever bought broke my heart to do it but I'm sick of dumping money in them and watching them rust out.

24-Jun-15
all depends were u drive Toyo had made recall few yearas back frames had major rust issues ,, I bought a dodge texas rig 08 no rust at all but ny most trucks rust out due to salt and new spray mixture and very hi humidity.

24-Jun-15
I had a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500, traded it in for a new one not long ago at 80k miles. It did not have a speck of rust on it anywhere and I drive on chemical from November-April. Wash them every couple weeks in the winter. It makes a world of difference.

24-Jun-15
It is more about care and maintenance than the vehicle. While over the years there have been some vehicle more prone to rust, it is care that makes a big difference. Use the car wash on a regular basis to wash off chemicals. watch for chips in paint, when you get a little surface rust sand it off and repaint.

Right now I have a 72 blazer, and an 85 jeep with no rust anywhere! I am always washing off all dirt/mud etc. they hold moisture and accelerate the rust. I also have a 72 pick up with almost no rust. Again, clean it and call it good. If you live back east then it is a good idea to coat under carriage with a protect-ant.

25-Jun-15
2000 Tundra just some surface rust behind the tailpipe. North Dakota ,so exposed to salt on the roads. The new Fords have aluminum body may want to consider that.

25-Jun-15
I have a 2008 F250 and a 1998 Ford Ranger parked at my house. No rust on either and we use a lot of salt where I live.

25-Jun-15
2012 Chevy. Iowa driving in salty grime November to April. No rust.

25-Jun-15
You GOT to keep the underneath clean. Spray with a high pressure at the car wash. Make sure toget all of the mud out of the nooks and crannys. This mud holds moisture and salt and rust starts.

You need to get the spray nozzel in between the fender and the fenderwell. One would be amazed at the dirt that gets trapped there and becomes mud when it gets wet.

I have a 2005 F-150 and I can get the nozzel in that location from the back side underneath the fender. I stick the nozzled in and let it go. I get debris cominng out of the holes in the bed rails and around the tail lights.

28-Jun-15
What sexton said! I actually cut in access holes to get mud out! It is amazing where mud gets! I have an85 CJ7, a 1972 Blazer and a 1972 pick up and a 1994 Ford F-150. All have no rust and all get hit at the power washer every time they get a little dirty! The mud and dirt are the ticket!

30-Jun-15
2003 Ram 1500. No rust yet. That year seems prone to wheel well rust .

30-Jun-15
2008 Chevy 220,000 miles and living in Michigan Zero rest

17-Jul-15
2005 f-150 supercrew 4x4, 138,00 miles, Florida, no salt..no rust

19-Jul-15
2008 chev silverado, 140000 km's. rust on both rear fender wells. lots of road salt used here but would expect better.truck is has also been undercoated 2x. lots of other corrosion elsewhere on it and the parts bills to prove it. 30 yr GM owner going to toyota next...

19-Jul-15
Your best solution is to move to a state that doesn't use so much salt on the hi-ways.

19-Jul-15
My frontier is 10 years old and I live in MD where they put so much salt out it is insane. Body looks good and I wash it twice a year. Another thing you can do is spray the underneeth components with WD40 before winter and that will help the rust. My shocks and struts though are a whole other ball game. They are rust buckets.

• Sitka Gear