HawkI 25-Jun-15
bowriter 25-Jun-15
Bou'bound 25-Jun-15
bige204 25-Jun-15
M.Pauls 25-Jun-15
beweez 13-Aug-15
CJE 13-Aug-15
22-Jun-15
Did anyone else see this crap? I had the tv on, not really paying close attention. I usually like the history channel, discovery, etc. Anyway, I was messing on the computer and heard the show say that these two old tree squirrel dudes, were going to hunt bighorn sheep. So it drew my attention. But it didn't mention a tag or anything, so I began to wonder. Then it showed footage of the "bighorn sheep." They appeared to be mouflon mixes. I am not great with the identification of sheep species, but one thing is definite, they were not bighorn sheep.

So did anyone else see this? Does anyone have any insight into what was going on?

I can say that, though I never took everything from these type shows as 100 percent truth, I now find myself questioning EVERYTHING that these shows air.

This was ridiculous and either indicates that the producers, editors of the show are ignorant, OR, they believe their entire audience is. I mean it could have been very easy, genuine, and truthful, to simply state there was a herd of feral sheep in this guys area, but they had to make it into a big deal. One other thing I noticed was one guy started out with a quiver full of arrows, but by the time they shot the feral sheep with one of the guys rifle, the other guys bow was down to one arrow.

Oh well, just one more reason why not to believe anything you see on television.

22-Jun-15
Just as disenchanted with "Mountain Men," myself.

Most of the "Mountain men" couldn't survive all night locked in a Walmart.

At least you can tell the guys in Swamp People and Duck Dynasty have gotten muddy and bloody aplenty in their lives.

23-Jun-15
I didn't see it but I believe it. Some of the stuff out there is not worth the air time. But I do like Eastmans and the western Hunter. Real deal here especially with the Western Hunter. Steven Rinellas Meat Eater is also good and there are a few more but most are guide hunts and I like the DIY stuff better. I know some hunts a guide is required but some of the shows are all guided and do not reflect any hunt I have done. Even in Alaska for Moose I did a drop camp but if I were to step it I too would require one. Either way it is better than watching regular shows while I too am on the net. Jim Shockey has some good shows too.

23-Jun-15

Hopeless Place's embedded Photo
Hopeless Place's embedded Photo
Jim Shockey - The Canadian who doesn't know where Canada is?

23-Jun-15
Not a big fan of most hunting shows because most emphasize the kill. Or worse, the 872 yard shot :(

But there are several great shows that emphasize the hunt and the adventure of doing it DIY.

Best bowhunting shows are The Western Hunter, Outback Outdoors, Eastmans, and Western Extreme. The Western Hunter stands well above the rest and has always been DIY.

By far the best gun hunting show is Jim Shockey's Uncharted.

23-Jun-15
Not a big fan of most hunting shows because most emphasize the kill. Or worse, the 872 yard shot :(

But there are several great shows that emphasize the hunt and the adventure of doing it DIY.

Best bowhunting shows are The Western Hunter, Outback Outdoors, Eastmans, and Western Extreme. The Western Hunter stands well above the rest and has always been DIY.

By far the best gun hunting show is Jim Shockey's Uncharted.

23-Jun-15
I think there are bigger things to worry about...

23-Jun-15
This wasn't a hunting show. I just thought it was pretty bad that a television show with such a vast database of knowledge and information would make such an ignorant mistake.

23-Jun-15
I saw the show and they obviously had to release those corsican? rams in that scenic area to depict a sheep hunt. It was a joke. As ToddT said it wasn't a hunting show but simply a "woodsman" going after meat.

23-Jun-15
There is a domestic or semi domestic breed of sheep called Bighorns. Misleading but not entirely wrong.

23-Jun-15
The show was based out of northern Idaho. Does that area have feral sheep?

If there is such a thing as "wild" feral sheep such as the ones on the show, it might be interesting to get the details. For me, it wasn't the fact that they were hunting/shooting feral sheep, it was simply that they seemed to misrepresent what was taking place.

23-Jun-15
I saw the show and I too wondered about the "sheep hunt". As usual, after about five minutes, the show went to heck in a hand basket and became just another piece of semi-reality crap.

24-Jun-15
That sounds like something the Idaho Game and fish people may be interested in. Releasing domestic sheep so they can be shot for a TV show. I sure hope that it wasn't in Native Rocky Bighorn habitat that they could transmit a disease to.

24-Jun-15
What do you mean Hopeless Place? About Jim Shockey not knowing where Canada is?

24-Jun-15
I saw it last night it was not a hunting show It has something to do with People that live in Trees. I wonder were Mary was when they gunned down her lamb.

24-Jun-15
bige204. . . I think he means Antarctica isn't north of Canada, nor does it have musk ox, or bears

arctos--bear. Anti-arctos--no bears

Bake

25-Jun-15
I believe you are right bigdan. If anyone here knows someone in the Idaho game and fish, maybe someone should give them a heads up. I would tend to think that a television show wouldn't be involved with something illegal. But I never would have thought they would have aired such crap. In the whole scheme of things, it doesn't matter greatly that they misidentified a game animal. I guess it just really irritated me because the general public is already pretty mis- or uneducated when it comes to wildlife.

25-Jun-15
I had the show set to record on my DVR because the previews made it look interesting. I could hardly make it through the first episode. The sheep hunt sequence was the worst thing I have seen in a while. All I can think is people in NYC must believe this crap (not you cityhunter :-). Off my DVR after episode 1.

25-Jun-15
The promos really had me interested. I liked the idea of people living in trees. But the show was a huge dissapointment. Just another setup jumble of cacada.

But lets be honest. A true reality show would be boring as all getout. Think about it. In real life, most of the time is just tedium. What would you make a show about? There is not much they haven't tried.

Think about your average hunt. How much time do you spend just sitting and watching compared to the time when something of interest is actually happening. Reality is mostly boring.

25-Jun-15
those texas dall's are really something to behold.

25-Jun-15
Oh, I see. Having said that though, I'm pretty sure that is an editor/producer error. Shockey is proudly Canadian, considering he lives here year-round.

25-Jun-15
I have a small flock of Texas Dall's Bou. I could sell you a hunt for 15k and I'll guarantee a 10yd shot lol

13-Aug-15
Ah this show makes me crazy. I had never watched a reality show and expected some reality. The Jay guy who falls int freezing water all the time (not a great survival technique) trapped a bird to eat and it was a red gold pheasant which is an exotic bird not a native wild bird at all. then a guy named Mike went for a hike to hunt an elk and supposedly hiked from the Colville National forest (eastern Washington) to the snake river (Idaho) and shot a deer and wrapped it in a plastic tarp and drug it all the way home in less than a day and a half. Just look on a map. the two areas are no where close and certainly not a two day hike!! Stupid. I am just afraid some folks will think this is real and try to copy these goofballs.

13-Aug-15
The deer Jay supposedly shot with his bicycle wheel bow was the biggest bunch of crap I've seen yet. The camera shows the deer running off going from left to right, of course they don't show the impact but you would assume when he shot the deer the arrow would impact the deer in its right side based on the direction it was running. When they show jay walking up to the deer, his arrow is sticking out of its left side. Maybe the deer turned an ran back the other way but I doubt it. They also claimed he heart shot the deer and tracked it for over a mile. Every animal that I have shot in the heart hasn't made it past 100 yards even on a dead run, let alone a mile! Wish they would check over some of this crap before they put it on tv.

• Sitka Gear