Cottonwood88 07-Aug-15
Cottonwood88 07-Aug-15
EmbryOklahoma 23-Aug-15
Thornton 23-Aug-15
sitO 23-Aug-15
'Ike' (Phone) 23-Aug-15
Mark Watkins 24-Aug-15
24-Jun-15
In years past, I would be fine with a 125"-140" buck. I've got enough of those. I'm putting a cap on myself this season. Not necessarily an inch limit, because if I say 150" and kill a 146", big deal. This year... I want a buck that makes my eyes pop out. Super tall... Super wide.... Heavy and a bunch of points!

Anyone else raising the bar? Crap your pants... Fall out of your stand type buck?

Yea, I'm bored and ready for the fall. :)

24-Jun-15
It waited 5-26 years before I finally shot a good one last year (about 155")......I think I may become less selective! Hah!

Takes alot of discipline to pass nice bucks waiting in the biggest ones......I will decide when the times comes, but likely will be pretty selective still.

24-Jun-15
5-6 years. ......auto correct

24-Jun-15
Rick, I understand what you are saying and I hear you. Am all about being selective. However a wide, tall, massive rack with lots of tines is a 180. Not sure how many there are running around in your neighborhood but that might be tough. When I look at a deer width is the last thing that comes to mind. A buck with a 19 inch spread only has 4 inches over one with 15. I look for a ten or more point with long tines and beams and forget about the rest. It's hard to judge beam length but find one with beams over 24 and you'll have something you like. Best of luck and I hope you get that buck you posted pictures of last winter, he should be a brute this year.

24-Jun-15

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Those pop your eyes out buck don't exist where I hunt :)

I really want this guy, no matter what he looks like this year. If I'm right about him, he'll be 6 this year

24-Jun-15

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
Or this guy, see what he looks like this year

24-Jun-15

EmbryO-klahoma's embedded Photo
I'm after this one... If he maintains this type of antler. This was in late December last season. He's a young deer. Also got a pic of him in January, so hopefully he's still kicking.

Bake... Those are nice!

24-Jun-15
Good luck Bake! The buck in the second pic looks to have some nice age on him (5-6 years old) with his sway belly!

Mark

24-Jun-15

Cory, thanks bud! This is the one... Never saw him on camera or in the field. We can only hope he's still alive. Hopefully it will end like one of those stories you hear about... "Well, he disappeared for a year and...". Fingers crossed.

24-Jun-15
I want to come to Oklahoma and kill your eye-popping pants crapper!

24-Jun-15
You can come to Oklahoma and use our crapper, Jack. I'll buy you a drink too.

24-Jun-15

tacklebox's MOBILE embedded Photo
tacklebox's MOBILE embedded Photo

One like this?? Careful cause once ya do its gets harder to improve each year :)

24-Jun-15
I live in SW PA so my "trophies" are going to be way smaller than these boys.

That said I always strive to take a good mature animal and let the small ones pass. I will be trying my best to fill the freezer though, no matter what.

24-Jun-15

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
I'll just be happy with this little sucker !

24-Jun-15
HOLD ON EMBRY..... Don't you have a few of those eye poppers on your wall right this minute?? There's nothing wrong with setting the bar high, but I want the coordinates just incase you do fall outta your stand.. I just hope you don't crap your pants

24-Jun-15
tacklebox.. That's a good representative. For sure!

drycreek... Nice! I'd be okay with a huge 8 point like that!

Frankie... Yes, as you know, I do have a few on the wall. I just want another like the one from 2012. You can hunt my stand after I crap my pants. :)

I guess I'm trying to make myself let those 140's and under grow up. A way to change the bar a little. My biggest problem is I don't have a lot of time to judge them because every buck I've shot has been cruising and had to make a quick decision. It would be nice to be able to judge a buck more by age, as it feeds or meanders around for a while. Just don't have that option with how I hunt.

24-Jun-15
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. I certainly try to let anything under 3.5 walk. Otherwise if it's a 4-5 yr old deer I don't care how much bone he has.

But the more the merrier.

24-Jun-15
not every buck is gifted to be a mega buck but if we kill them at 3 yr old 130s one will never find out .

Too many guys kill tomorrows trophy today !

24-Jun-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
cityhunter's embedded Photo
this guy will poke your eyes out

24-Jun-15
Anyone that hunts an area where you can routinely let a 140 class buck walk, is blessed to be in whitetail heaven... I let 110" bucks walk in hope they will break 120 some day LOL... Rick - I know you will do it, your success speaks volumes and although I hope your eyes really don't pop out, I do hope you get your biggest ever... (and then literally - crap your pants).

24-Jun-15
Wow, you have some impressive trophy photos! Great work! I'm certainly not to that point yet but I have only seen one buck past 150" hunted for 20 days this year. Iv'e been hunting a piece of private land in Rogers county since I was in highschool and this guy is the largest I have ever seen or gotten pictures of there.

24-Jun-15
Wow, you have some impressive trophy photos! Great work! You sir are in whitetail heaven and know how to hunt! I'm certainly not to that point yet but I have only seen one buck past 150" in my entire life. Iv'e been hunting a prime 190 acre piece of private land in Rogers county since 2003 and the 119" buck I got last year was by far the largest I have ever seen or gotten trail cam pictures of there. Iv'e started on a different spot now so we will see.

24-Jun-15

MichaelArnette's embedded Photo
MichaelArnette's embedded Photo
Oops here he is

24-Jun-15
I have a great tag here in CO, I will hold out on that one. My Kansas tag, public land, I will shoot the first buck that makes me go "Wow he's big". I never apply an inch amount to the deer I shoot. I know what I want as soon as I seem them. In saying that, I'd rather shoot a 125 in the rut, than a 140 in the early season. The rut to me, is what a deer is supposed to look like.

24-Jun-15
Jack, thanks bud. I always wonder why the bucks don't routinely get 130+ up there. Why is that? Age structure? Just simply killed before prime?

Michael... Very nice bud! That's a nice buck and with your recurve too. Well done!

Cazador... I'll be looking forward to seeing your pics this fall, both Kansas and Colorado. Best of luck!

24-Jun-15
If I'm reaching for my bow when I spot him he's getting shot if the opportunity arises!! Enough said.

Lee

25-Jun-15
Lee X2....I know when I see it, and sometimes am happier with a smaller buck after passing up bigger bucks earlier in the season.

"Too many guys kill tomorrows trophy today"

If you consider it a trophy, in your mind, today...kill it today no matter the size. Don't let others dictate what you should or shouldn't shoot.

It's your name on the permit.

25-Jun-15

Rocky D's embedded Photo
Rocky D's embedded Photo
I think we all can up the ante but be careful that game supports the investment.

I could say that I am holding out for a 140 in Georgia and in seventeen year the score would be zero.

On the other hand in Ohio I routinely turn down 140+++

Personally, I go on eye popper hunts and other I do as Cazador does and say "he is big" and I feel fabulous when I wrap my hands around the bone.

These met my Midwest requirement.

25-Jun-15

Rocky D's embedded Photo
Rocky D's embedded Photo
This one met mi Georgia requirement.

25-Jun-15

Rocky D's embedded Photo
Rocky D's embedded Photo
This one met my Kentucky public land requirement.

25-Jun-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
What ever sets you off I hope everyone has a "crack" at their dream buck!

Great rain fall this year in the Midwest! It's been a while since I've got a good one but anticipation and a fresh tag is 75% of the fun! C

Pic attached is the goal:)

25-Jun-15

Rocky D's embedded Photo
Rocky D's embedded Photo
Sometimes I eat a tag by choice in search of these.

25-Jun-15
Rick, I hope you crap your pants this Fall. Best of luck and I cannot wait to read your story and see the pics. You will do it.

25-Jun-15
Charlie, is that feathers I see flying into that buck? Am I dreaming or did I see that clip in a YouTube video?

25-Jun-15
Charlie,

Great picture of the arrow and the buck trying to duck the arrow. That picture shows how deer drop in the front when they hear the bow. Judging from the arrow position in the picture I think it's safe to say you got that Big Boy!

I hope we all have a "crap our pants" moment this year. I've seen plenty of big deer in my hunting career. But, I've only had 1 chance at a truly 150" buck. I was young and got buck fever so bad I didn't pick a spot and shot right over him at 10 yards. I think I crapped my pants on that one.

25-Jun-15
Good stuff guys!

RockyD... Those bucks in your hands would do just fine! What state?

By the way... In no way am I or would I push my thoughts of what a trophy is, on others. I am a firm believer of shooting what you want, not what I want you to shoot.

Okay... Back to talking about big bucks...

Oh, I got dibs on the thread title "my eyes popped out and I crapped my pants".

25-Jun-15
RockyD, did you kill the 4 bucks in that last pic you posted?

25-Jun-15
Stcksender the answer is no

EmbryO - you would not believe me if I told you!

I would rather not draw undue attention a relative sleeper state.

25-Jun-15
Michael: You prolly did see that video on YouTube. It's my son Matt's 2012 Iowa buck with his longbow which I filmed from his side! A very good day:)

In 1982 (my second season) I was leaning up against a tree on the edge of a cornfield when a fork horn buck walked in front of me at 3 yards then turned and went up hill towards the corn field. I swung and shot him for my very first archery kill. I've killed a lot of deer since then but never a bigger thrill!

25-Jun-15
Here you go Michael! The finest trad bow archery kill ever filmed:))

25-Jun-15
I'd say! Great work...I use it to show new trad hunters how to aim low from 10-25 yards to deal with string jump. Nothing quite like a whitetails reflexes!

25-Jun-15
Charlie, just curious as to how far Matt's shot was?

25-Jun-15
RockyD... of course I would believe you. Unless you said Florida. :)

25-Jun-15
Video said the shot was 12 yards.

Classic hunt and classic trophy midwestern buck.

25-Jun-15
Yep, 12 yards and no "erp" to stop him. I have filmed several of Matt's trad kills and when the deer is real close like this one the drop can be more pronounced. In other words at 20 yards it becomes less a factor.

Also a Longbow arrow may be traveling around 180 feet per second versus 280 for an average compound.

It's going to be a great 2015 season!

26-Jun-15
Awesome, Charlie.... Wish I could experience a hunt like that...

26-Jun-15
Yes I have been on the same program for a few years.

What I have observed is you will get a lot of name calling towards you, be called a liar, and other bashing comments if you post that your holding out for such an animal and never close the deal!

26-Jun-15
I use a "Top 6" method of trophy hunting.As long as I'm improving one of the 6... I shoot.Kinda makes it a more realistic journey,keeps your trigger finger busier as we race against time and limb bolt thread

26-Jun-15
Charlie, what a great hunt and what I found fascinating was how relaxed Matt was with the shot. Thanks for sharing again!!!

26-Jun-15
Back to "making my eyes pop out"... I'm sure as usual, it will be an "in the moment" type decision. Where I hunt in Oklahoma, there's not a bunch of 150's running around. If I hold out for a number (150+), it might never happen again. So, like someone above said... I'll know when I see him.

Kelly, you just keep holding out... Doesn't matter what others think. :)

Steve... I might take on your "top 6" train of thought. Since I'm not to that level, I'll make mine a top 2? :)

26-Jun-15
I was about to commit to your challenge, but decided to make my buck criteria "will just look respectable on the wall and taste great" along with a doe or two. I have only seen 3 or 4 bucks in 41 years of hunting NJ that made my eyes pop... Just not realistic.

26-Jun-15
Rocky D can I come hunt with you? Great looking horns there. Too much "if it's brown it's down" mentality where I hunt to allow bucks to mature. :(

26-Jun-15
Konk, I have always wanted to Wisconsin and would think that some of that national forest land up in Price, Rusk, and Sawyer counties would have some big public land bucks for the guy willing to work hard.

26-Jun-15
After 25 years of hunting 120"-135" type bucks I finally scored a trophy caliber 162" last year. I accomplished my goal in early October and spent the rest of the year passing on many I'd have shot in years previous. Since I only hunt public, my standard often fluctuates depending on pressure and property. But since we get 2 buck tags I can shoot a borderline. I expect standard for my first tag this year will be a little higher maybe 140", then base 2nd tag on my observations, but likely holding out for 150+ and eating it.

28-Jun-15
I just saw a bachelor group at 11:00am after 2 days of heavy heavy rain, walk across edge of my yard and woods... A coupled looked like nice 3.5 year old potential shooters, and the last one made my eyes pop... Huge body, already 22-24" spread with nice brows with two forks at the end... Can't wait to see what he ends up being...

28-Jun-15
Jack, it's an area you hunt?

I put 4 cameras out on my place yesterday. Some in the old spots and some in new spots that are out of the norm. I rarely get good pics in the summer. Maybe this will change. One thing is for certain, we got record rain falls the last month and our place resembles a swamp. Should be good for antler growth.

28-Jun-15

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Rick -I hunt my entire neighborhood its over 200 acres of private woodlots... Oh - he walked across my backyard edge of woods and right down a clearcut lane right to my mineral sight 150 yards in....

I only got one pic of him this morning, he chased all the other bucks of the minerals.. I went to replace some minerals after all the heavy rain and after they left , they been hitting it hard.. He looked huge from the front this is from the rear only got one picture which doesn't do it justice... hard to say if he will be 120 130 140,etc... His beams are just starting to fork, the next 3 weeks will be massive antler growth glad I refreshed the minerals..

28-Jun-15
My best buck is a heavy wide 164" 10 pointer I shot on our land in 2009. To hold out for one better would be tough. But the last 3 or 4 years those 130" big bodied 3.5 year olds that come running in to the antlers/call have gotten me all fired up and I kill one. It's all about the hunt for me. That said, I'm holding out this year for something 4.5 or older. Score is doesn't matter, unless he's busted up. Then they get a pass if they have great potential. I hope everyone has a great and safe season. Damn it's not even July yet;(

28-Jun-15
Jack, best of luck and look forward to seeing how big he'll get.

Rut nut... I do things similar. These 140" inch bucks that are tall and wide come cruising through and get me to 'grab my bow' stage. Like I said above, I wish I had the opportunity to hunt so that I could watch the deer and learn to age better, but that style doesn't work where I hunt. The last three bucks I have shot were 4.5 yr olds. The one I shot in January left me thinking, what he could've been this season. It sure is fun although. :)

29-Jun-15
EmbryO-klahoma, I saw a 120ish buck in Georgia that has me fired up. Hopefully, he will put 20++ inches of bone before he is finished. That is a great deer for the area and for me is the equivalent of a 160 in the Midwest.

Actually, I would have to hunt harder for that buck here than I would where I hunt for the 160 in the Midwest.

29-Jun-15
RockyD, I see your point. I've hunted Kansas before and to compare it to hunting in SE Oklahoma isn't fair. My opinion... The Kansas hunt was/is much easier to locate and kill deer. Also... From what I have noticed, a 3.5 year old in Kansas will grow the equivalent antlers to a 4.5 year old in SE oklahoma. Body weights are night and day also. A 4.5 year old buck where I hunt will likely field dress at 135-145 lbs. of course food source dictates a lot of that.

By the way, I'm not saying it's easier in all areas of Kansas to kill a big buck. But I will say, that the terrain and habitat in most places I hunted, sure narrows down your search process.

04-Aug-15
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. I certainly try to let anything under 3.5 walk. Otherwise if it's a 4-5 yr old deer I don't care how much bone he has.

But the more the merrier.

04-Aug-15
I used to only target 125 inch or better, but now I don't care. If I want to shoot a 80 inch 8 point, then that is what I will do. To each their own I guess.

04-Aug-15
I had the same idea to build up my own rules and have a size limit on racks, yet they don't always present them selves each year, in some areas a 120" buck is the best, I like to eat deer as well so, had to be realistic. So after a while with out meat I had to change my plan. Now I will take the first mature deer, buck or doe, then start the culling process. I still have deerless seasons, but its my choice. In SC with no lease land and only wma land to hunt I had lowered limits to half what they where in NJ. The deer behind my house have a free ticket to walk unless a nice rack walks out, and for ten yrs its the highway takeing the best ones. road kill still tastes good.

04-Aug-15
Sometimes I miss the 80's, back then any pope and young class deer was a trophy, now people are ashamed to bring a 128" buck into my shop for fear of getting slammed for shooting an up and comer. Sorry to be a Debbie downer.

04-Aug-15

Bake's MOBILE embedded Photo
Bake's MOBILE embedded Photo

Same buck I posted above, but from 2015. He's definitely got my attention :)

04-Aug-15
Yea, Bake... He'd make my eye popping pants crapping fall out of my stand list. Nice!

Btw... I'm totally for what each individual wants to shoot. A guy on my lease shot an 80" deer last season. I was happy as punch for him. He was like a little kid and he's mid 30's.

I hope everyone finds that deer that makes them happy this season. Whether that's a doe, a button buck or giant 180" deer. Good luck!

05-Aug-15
I'd like to take a buck that'll make my eyes pop out and of course I scout and find the ones I'd like to take BUT I get way to dang excited when a buck presents an opportunity I capitolize and don't look back. I haven't regretted shooting any of them yet. Where I live its 1 buck per calendar year on public land which is not an excuse but a different situation. I am just happy to hunt and happier if I tag out.

06-Aug-15
I remember that video Charlie, awesome family hunt! I have to say though that Matt is pretty brave for sticking it out with you playing the banjo in the tree next to him.

good luck this fall!

michael

06-Aug-15

Rex Featherlin's embedded Photo
This one made my eyes pop. But he disappeared 2 years ago.

06-Aug-15
Rex... Never saw him again, huh? Maybe when you least expect it, he'll show up in front of you, this season. I had one do that, that was around the 150" mark in 2010. Got one photo of him and never saw him again from camera or my eyes. Killed him in 2012 with about 30" more of antler.

I hope you see him again!

06-Aug-15
The last picture I got of him was in February 2013. He was still carrying both sides. I wonder if someone poached him. Never found his sheds or anything. ????

06-Aug-15
We have had a ton of rain in our area this spring and summer. Normally we run cameras most of the summer on water tanks and watch the horns grow. There is so much water standing in every pasture this year the tanks aren't pulling them in like normal. I have a camera that has been on a creek bottom since mid May. Replinshed the mineral site and placed it hoping to get deer pics. It started raining and flooded the whole area. Water is probably 150 yards wide where a guy could step across it before. There is dryland corn and milo like never before in the area.

06-Aug-15

Here is a couple more pics of him from 2012

06-Aug-15

06-Aug-15
I don't think I've ever killed a buck that I saw before on a trail camera:) That just hit me while reading this thread but then again I've not used trail cameras more than a few times.

07-Aug-15

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Here in KS we look for HEART STOPPERS like this one....not eye poppers! Pic is from last year. A friend and his son have been trying to get this one for a few years now. Only get night-time photos of him.

If any of you all are huntin KS this year.....you just hit the jack pot. Incredible horn growth this year due to all the continued Spring & Summer moisture. Figure a state record will surely fall this year! Good Luck to all.

07-Aug-15
Yep, he would make me crap my pants, eyes would pop out and I'd fall out of my stand... Then my heart would stop.

07-Aug-15

Another view.

07-Aug-15

Last view.

07-Aug-15
Holy freaking cow! I'm with taxidermy man though, it was nice when I started bowhunting in the 90s and it wasn't so much about score. Not to be down on anybody. These are fantastic animals!

07-Aug-15
Holy freaking cow! I'm with taxidermy man though, it was nice when I started bowhunting in the 90s and it wasn't so much about score. Not to be down on anybody. These are fantastic animals!

23-Aug-15

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
This is the buck from my second post on this thread. He surely blossomed this year into a "make my eyes pop out" type of buck. :)

Gonna be a good fall....

23-Aug-15

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
Embry, you and I are on the same page for this season. This buck is not on land I can hunt, but I can always dream :)

23-Aug-15
Y'alls a buncha "bone suckin", "eye poppin", "pants crappin" SOB's!

I hope you smoke one of these and then take a moment when he's DRT...but please don't shoot unless you've got full frontal!

23-Aug-15
I'll be there, end of October or so Rick....

;-)

24-Aug-15
Genesis x 2.....I do similiar

Charlie, that video you filmed of Matt's shot is an all time classic!

Mark

• Sitka Gear