Rock 30-Jun-15
QQ Archery 30-Jun-15
TD 30-Jun-15
Ermine 30-Jun-15
muley505 03-Jul-15
26-Jun-15

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
Up until now I have never owned or used a spotting scope. I primarily hunt Mule deer and elk in Colorado and have seemed to do ok without one but I came across a killer deal on a Swarovski 80mm HD today and I have a few questions before I decide which tripod to buy.

1) how many of you actually hunt with a spotting scope? This unit seems really heavy to drag along while in the back country chasing elk, then add another 2/4 lbs with a tripod. Is it worth it's weight? (Guess that's 2 ?'s)

2) Which tripod do you recommend without breaking the bank? Again, this unit is fairly large and seems like it would tip over easy if not supported correctly?

I was looking at this cabelas 2 in 1 tripod. It has an integrated window mount and extendable legs. Seems small, light and compact. Good for packing with you. It weighs 1.8 lbs Maybe to good to be true? Anyone used it?

26-Jun-15

Here's the actual scope.

27-Jun-15
I hunt almost exclusively spot and stalk for big game and never leave home without my scope and spotting scope. They have saved me miles and miles of hiking. I can field judge and spot game from afar.

Similar to spotting scopes you get what you pay for with a tripod! I've gone through around 8 tripods over the years and FINALLY broke down and bought a nice tripod and head that will likely last me the rest of my life! My tripod of choice is a Gitzo GT0531 with a G2180 fluid head. They aren't cheap but are rock solid! There is nothing more frustrating than having a tripod that doesn't work. The added bonus to having a great tripod is that it can also be used for taking photos and video (before and after the kill).

I have quick release set ups for going from window mounts to my tripod. It's also nice having the quick release if I want to break down my tripod from scope while hunting.

27-Jun-15
Thanks for the response jims. Any info and opinions I can get are appreciated.

28-Jun-15
I never leave home without the spotter, but I also won't settle for just any buck or bull. I'll spend countless hours behind my optics looking over each animal before ever attempting a stalk. I have tried several tripods over the years, and like jims said you generally get what you pay for. You have a great spotter so you need a decent tripod to take advantage of it. I currently use two different tripod setups. The big heavy one for going where I can get a truck or ranger to is a slik 700d AMT with a manfrotto head, and I just picked up a lightly used outdoorsmans medium tripod topped with their lightweight panner head for carrying in a backpack. They are both great setups. I held off on the outdoorsmans for year due to the price, but they are awesome if you can afford them. They also have replacement parts available when and if needed. Quick release plates are a must, and spend the money to get a binocular adapter to go with it.

A good solid head that has smooth movement is as important as a solid set of legs. As for the window mount, I have a schoenfeld window mount that just has the stud to screw one of my heads onto.

28-Jun-15
i own the same scopw with a killer tripod but it usually stays home ,, most my elk hunts are in areas were long range glass is useless

28-Jun-15
$3200 dollar scope and $32 tripod makes no sense to me.

Upgrade in tripod to use full capabilities of the scope.

29-Jun-15
Check out the carbon fiber legs. Gitzo's are top notch.

29-Jun-15
Siriu carbon fiber tripods for me. I sold my Outdoorsmans after finding these but I did keep my Outdoorsmans pan heads to top off my Siriu. I think Gitko tripod are extremely expensive and having seen and played with them I feel they're no better than the Siriu brand. The plus with the Siriu is that they fold into themselves making them more compact than any other tripod I've found.

All that said, for elk during the rut I just can't see packing a tripod. Elk are extremely easy to spot in comparison to other game so unless you're a picky trophy hunter leave it in the truck. But for sure get a nice tripod for that scope! For

29-Jun-15
Thanks for the info guys. Makes sense. I figured a tripod would be just like anything where you get what you pay for but wasn't sure. Wishful thinking I guess. I've literally NEVER used one. I can't wait to get out and do some scouting with it this summer. Went fly fishing yesterday and looked around a bit with it. Amazing how powerful these things are. Haven't decided if I'll bring it along on the actual hunt yet but a great scouting tool none the less. I can't believe how much snow we still have in the high country in Colorado. Almost July wtf!!

29-Jun-15
You might consider Swarovski's carbon or alum. tripod with their DH 101 head.

29-Jun-15
I haven't packed a tripod elk hunting. With that said I am going to this year. The only reason being I want to take some digiscope pictures. I am kinda partial to the outdoorsman I have. Lol

29-Jun-15
that ..belas tripod it is not functional at all the leg braces make it tough to sit and spot!

30-Jun-15

Rock's Link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200972500037?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone ever try one of these? I have one but have not used it yet.

30-Jun-15

QQ Archery's embedded Photo
QQ Archery's embedded Photo
Any kind of device to help you glass longer is a plus , here is a pic of our QQ Archery support system adjusted height to glass in comfort ,in california we glass for hours to find a bedded buck under a shady tree way off so a super cool tool to have ,hope it helps

30-Jun-15
I have a friend with one of those scopes. World class glass, but it's a pretty heavy scope. I don't know what he finally settled on, but I do remember him talking about going through 2 or 3 tripod/heads till he found one that would handle it easy.

30-Jun-15
I have a Gitzo tripod with an outdoorsman head. Works well.

I like big scopes for their light gathering capabilities, but prefer 65mm for packing around in a pack.

03-Jul-15
I have two Slik tripods that I have used for several years and really like. They aren't terribly expensive (~$120). The 340 EZ version isn't very heavy, it packs into a fairly-small space, and it supports my Swarovski 65mm scope very well (it would do fine with your 85mm version too as I've used it for scopes in that weight range).

As to its usefulness for hunting, I won't leave home without my spotting scope. I hunt areas that are fairly open, and with my scope I have about a 14-mile radius of ground that I can cover and spot elk in. It would take me more than a whole season to thoroughly cover that much country on foot. The caveat here is that the country has to have enough open areas that you can sit for hours and just glass. If the cover is too thick to see anything, glassing is largely a frustrating waste of time. If the area you hunt is open enough to see fairly well, a spotting scope is worth its weight in gold for the amount of walking it saves you. My hunting success has probably quadrupled since I started just sitting patiently on a high point and letting my optics do the work, and there is the added benefit that you aren't exhausted from walking 15-20 miles a day.

One other thought on using the scope, do yourself a favor and buy a $2 eye patch for your non-dominant eye. It really helps focus your glassing, and keeps you from having to squint one eye shut all the time.

Good luck.

• Sitka Gear