bowriter 30-Jun-15
jjb4900 30-Jun-15
orionsbrother 30-Jun-15
writer 30-Jun-15
Stinkbait1 01-Jul-15
bowriter 01-Jul-15
Stinkbait1 01-Jul-15
29-Jun-15
Just had a great phone call. Tom Oar, (Mt. Man TV show), an old bronc rider and rodeo traveling partner of mine called from Montana. On the season premiere, he had a black bear giving him some trouble and I offered to come kill it for him. He said he was going to try and trap it this fall. Reason he called, in 1972, I wrote a magazine artiocle about him and wanted a copy of it. He is going to make me one. We got sidetracked talking about hunting. He is trad all the way and makes all his bows and arrows and such.

Then, we went back a few years, he is 72 and I will be 71 tomorrow so we are of the same generation. We rode some of the old broncs again and lied about elk hunting and how good the fishing is.

Great visist after about 40-years.

29-Jun-15
Sounds like a good call. Happy birthday a day early to you.

29-Jun-15
Trad all the way but I've seen him on the show rifle hunt.

Regardless he's one of my favorites on the show. Cool guy.

Thanks for sharing.

29-Jun-15
Happy birthday John !

29-Jun-15
Happy Birthday John.

72....isn't that something like 212 in rodeo years? :-)

29-Jun-15
Happy birthday John.....enjoy it!

Mark

30-Jun-15
Happy Birthday! Tom is one of my favorite characters too. That's the best show to me.

30-Jun-15
Happy Birthday Bowriter

30-Jun-15
Happy Birthday John!Have a great day....

30-Jun-15
Happy birthday John! Have a blessed day and wishing you many more!

30-Jun-15
A great phone call, I'm sure! I wish Mtn Man would have more of Tom and less of Eustics or whatever his name is!

Happy Birthday as well! I lag you by about a decade!

>>>>-------->

30-Jun-15
Happy Birthday, John! Have a great day!

30-Jun-15
Happy Birthday John! You've caught up to me!

30-Jun-15
Thanks all. Personally, I think the show sucks but I hate almost all television. I have known Tom over 40-years and all he ever talked about was moving out west and dropping out. I guess they offered him enough money to drop back in but he is genuine all the way.

He was a pretty fair saddle bronc rider but spent all his spare time bird watching in the dunes around Lake Michigan. He was a mountain man, then. One day, he and Nancy just up and moved to MT.

Right now, the Last Alaskans is one reality show I can tolerate.

Thanks for the good wishes.

30-Jun-15
you just gave him a lot of credibility, I like him on that show and will now watch with a new respect....thanks for starting this post.

30-Jun-15
Happy birthday, sir!

30-Jun-15

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
According to this guy, you have at least 20 more good years in you John.

Jim's 92 and we had a pretty good morning of fishing. His little brother was there, too. He's only 88 but just as active.

From the ranch country of the Flint Hills, Jim was still riding horseback to work cattle when he was 90.

Amazing...original knees, hips and doesn't need glasses, even when tying on a small fishing jig.

01-Jul-15
Happy Belated Birthday Bowriter. I enjoy your posts here on the Bowsite.

That is really cool that you know Tom Oar. Though some of the scenes in the Mountain Man show are obviously staged and seem a bit hokey, I like it anyhow. I like Tom, Kyle and Marty. Eustice cracks me up and that hound man, Rich, is an interesting character. I liked the show where they showed Tom making a longbow and arrows.

Speaking of making bows, did anybody watch that show called Woodsmen? It's the same format as Mountain Men but it's about some guys that live in tree houses in the Northwest. Some guy made a bow out of a bicycle tire rim, some springs and a piece of cord for a string. The crazy thing was he made broadheads out of lead! Yes, lead! Then he proceeds to kill a deer with this set up. I had to throw the BS flag on that one! HAHA!

01-Jul-15
I was really hopefull "Woodsmen" would be a good show. It ranks up there with the worst I have seen. When the guy ran up and shot the deer with the bicycle tire, baling twine and lead point, I turned it off...for good. It is absolutely terrible.

01-Jul-15
I agree. Woodsmen was pretty bad. The only thing I thought was kind of cool was the young guys making the zip line water retrieval system. That was pretty neat. Other than that, the show stunk. I won't watch it again. Totally lame!

• Sitka Gear