Teeton 02-Jul-15
RutNut@work 02-Jul-15
ohiohunter 02-Jul-15
Tajue17 02-Jul-15
Zinger 02-Jul-15
Matt 02-Jul-15
Fulldraw1972 03-Jul-15
30-Jun-15
I tried mechanical BH probably 15+ yrs ago. I was not impressed with them at the time. Poor penetration on two critters. I don't know the KE at the time Hutu was pulling 60 lbs at the time. I went back to fixed blade ever since.

I'm considering mech again.

Is there some sort of minimum KE rating for each manufacturers/model of mech Broadheads?

30-Jun-15
Nobody I know of has done any real world testing with uniform density mtl and load cells which would give you those results.

30-Jun-15
The problems with mech heads ive seen are all related to light arrows and large cutting dia bh- high KE or not. If you shoot decent arrow weight or even err on the heavy side that helps mech heads be more efficient.

30-Jun-15
Shoot a mechanical broadhead tipped arrow through any soft material that will fully open the blades, like heavy paper, an orange...whatever. Measure the velocity before and after the target material and calculate the KE for each velocity. The difference in the two KE's is the KE required to open the blades and pass through the material.

Now shoot a field tip throughout the same material and measure its velocity before and after the target material and calculate the KE for each velocity. The difference is the KE required for the field tip arrow to pass through the material.

The difference between the KE required for the field point and mechanical is basically the KE required to open the blades.

Mechanicals usually require VERY little KE to open the blades in soft material. However, a huge amount of KE is used if they open in bone or spread two ribs apart. The exact amount can be determined as shown above.

30-Jun-15
The real answer to you question is different for each shooter and his/her equipment, form, and tune.

I know I can get a passthru on a whitetail using Spitfires with my Elite GT-500 @ 52# and a 27" DL on a Carbon Tech Panther shaft. Hitting the leg bone will have different results, but I have gone thru the flat part of the scapula with no issues.

As a disclaimer... my equipment is as well tuned as any human can get it. Equipment tune, shot placement, and blade sharpness each pretty much equal in being top producer of penetration. In fact, KE wouldn't make my top ten of factors to consider for penetration.

30-Jun-15
Unless I was shooting 70# or more, I would not even consider a MH.

COC is working from the moment it touches an animal and with not mechanical failure issues.

30-Jun-15
Some mechanical manufacturers have language related to what amount of KE is needed - I think Swhacker is one of them.

The amount used to deploy the blade is nill compared to everything else, you would be better to focus on the design of the blade deployment rather than the energy part (sales gimmick). Rearward-sliding deploying blades might be better than ones that swing open.

The leg bone below the scapula of an elk will stop any broadhead, mechanical or fixed, and cause minimal damage other than breaking a leg...

30-Jun-15
Blade deployment IMO is minor wrt energy.

Major is blade angle (mechs are known for poor angles)and large cutting widths up to 2-2 1/2". I think Bruce is right, KE out of a modern compound isn't an issue. Pushing that head with a toothpick is. The heavier shafts will perform better.

Still another issue with poor mech performance or penetration has nothing to do with KE or weight. A good many mechs are sold because folks can't make fixed blades fly worth a darn. The bow is not tuned, arrows are coming out at an angle, not straight. Mechs will fly "like field points", FBBHs do not. So mechs it is.....

Nothing magical suddenly made the bow tuned, it's still launched arrows crooked. And crooked when it hits it's target. Huge amounts of energy wasted. But it did hit the spot.

Blade deployment is a non-issue IMO stacked up against all these other issues.

01-Jul-15
Just make sure you tune your bow properly regardless of the BH you use. I can only guess that poor tuning is the reason the huntertainer crowd (the Drurys and their ilk) cannot push a Rage BH all the way through a broadside deer.

01-Jul-15
I know rage makes a 40KE model that is a bit steeper on blade angle and cutting diameter that they markets a a lower KE option.

01-Jul-15
Put on a Rocket Steelhead and you will be fine. Will out penetrate many of the popular fixed heads on the market.

01-Jul-15
"I know rage makes a 40KE model that is a bit steeper on blade angle and cutting diameter that they markets a a lower KE option."

Yep much similar to the rocky mt snypers, not sure why anybody would need a larger cutting BH? Pretty much everything I shoot with my snypers dies within sight!

01-Jul-15
This-

"Put on a Rocket Steelhead and you will be fine. Will out penetrate many of the popular fixed heads on the market."

02-Jul-15
why do you care about the energy it takes to get an arrow from 0 to top speed ?

that IS what KE is ..... once the arrow starts slowing down, it loses KE, once it hits, it loses almost all its KE

and since KE is 2X on speed .... well you can see how KE really is irrelevant to bowhunting

to answer your questions, the same things apply today as it did 20 years ago - is the head well built, can it fail to open, how much momentum does your bow generate to drive that less than ideal penetrating broadhead through what you shoot ....

02-Jul-15
As said above Rock Steelhead, it's my go to head. I've kill many of animals with them. Shot a 200lb bear hit right in front of the hind quarter came out in front of the front leg. Two years ago shot a small bull elk hit right in front of the right front leg. The head did not make it through. But made it into the opposite hind quarter. Now I have not tried any other M-head in a long time and that's because I've had 100% good luck with the steelhead 100...

One more story 7-8 years ago my stepson shot a big w-tail doe with the 100 steelhead. Doe was broadside, hit right behind the shoulder. He was shooting about 45 lbs at about 26 or 27 draw. Shot right through it. Ed

02-Jul-15
" I can only guess that poor tuning is the reason the huntertainer crowd (the Drurys and their ilk) cannot push a Rage BH all the way through a broadside deer."

While there are a LOT of tv "pros" that shoot poorly tuned bows. The biggest "problem" the Drurys seem to have is shooting very large cut BH's, and light arrows/poundage. But really how much of a problem is this when it still kills the deer, dead is dead. I see plenty of fixed blade head on hunting shows that fail to get pass throughs as well. A passthrough is great, but it's not the be all end all.

02-Jul-15
Your recovery % greatly increases with an exit wound. That % increases even more when shooting from an elevated position where entry is high on the animal. No archer shoots an animal and doesn't hope for a pass thru, your nonchalantness regarding efficient/humane kills makes me question your ethics.

Said you seen plenty of fixed heads not pass thru, but I don't think I've ever seen a mech pass thru.

How many of those hunting shows use dogs to track? I've seen where they try to make it look like it was an easy tracking job and pull up a rigamortis deer. How often do they leave the deer overnight?? The only thing a mechanical BH company does better/more than fixed is advertising. Do the world a favor (and your quarry) and don't drink the Kool-aid.

02-Jul-15
that's all I can say is when I owned a Mathews Icon,, and the Icon is I think the slowest Mathews ever made just a big round wheel bow and was set at 52lbs which isn't much at all. I used shockwave mechanicals and I never had one single problem,,, I'm pretty sure all my shots where broadside with no hard quartering shots because at the time I think it was recommended I avoid these with that style head.

I remember steelheads where good too but I wasn't a fan of spitfires at all only because they opened so hard and for light weight bows I passed on those and went with the easier opening shockwaves,,,,,,, you would think the big fat triangle head on the shockwave would hurt penetration but it was all passthrus for me I really loved that head.

02-Jul-15
With a modern bow you shouldn't have a problem at any realistic hunting poundage and KE. The guy that say he wouldn't shoot one under 70lb doesn't really make sense. Are you talking about a 70lb. bow that's 20 years old versus a new 60lb speed bow? Because the new 60lb bow is faster and has more KE.

02-Jul-15
"But really how much of a problem is this when it still kills the deer, dead is dead."

When the Drurys can't track a deer for lack of blood due to not achieving an exit wound, have to leave it overnight so a buddy of mine can track it for them the next day only to find the part not eaten by coyotes had spoiled - I'd say that is a problem.

"Said you seen plenty of fixed heads not pass thru, but I don't think I've ever seen a mech pass thru."

Excluding turkeys, I've probably gotten pass through with mechanicals on 90% of the animals I have shot them with. If you aren't seeing pass throughs with them, I'd bet money it isn't the broadhead or style of broadhead but rather the culmination of other decisions made by the hunter that used them.

03-Jul-15
If I were to ever shoot another mechanical I would worry more about making sure my bow is tuned then KE for deer. The whole mechanicals fly like a field tip is fine but we all know a field tip can lie on a bow tune.

• Sitka Gear