Beendare 01-Jul-15
Browning Hunter 01-Jul-15
Matt 01-Jul-15
TD 01-Jul-15
Cottonwood88 02-Jul-15
Cottonwood88 02-Jul-15
snapcrackpop 02-Jul-15
30-Jun-15
The frequent posts regarding technology and such being detrimental to hunting spawned this post.

We have come a long way since flint points and bows made from anything that would bend. It is even farther from the days of tar pits, cliffs and spears.

And yet, despite that and the huge increase in hunters, we have more game than even 30-years ago. In 60-years of hunting, I cannot recall a single instance of any technology being harmfull to hunting opportunities with the exception of some vehicles causing lands to be off limits.

I have been bowhunting long enough to remember the doom the compound was going to bring...and treestands and a wide variety of electronic and semi-electronic devices. No question, range finders were going to spell the end of bowhunting but not as quickly as overdraw bows and carbon arrows (anyone remember that?). For as far back as I can recall, crossbows were the true culprit despite the fact, they have always been legal in WY and hunters still clamor to go there and hunt.

In the four or five years, crossbows have been legal in the regular season here, I have never seen a single crossbow hunter nor have I met anyone who has. We have more deer now than we did six months ago and way more than six years ago.

A day will come when all anyone is going to need to do to kill a deer is push a button on their small-screen phone. And still, we will have more days to hunt than we have hunters who will go.

Relax. Enjoy what you have. Worry about your hunt, your ethics, your sportsmanship. Enjoy the weather, the woods, the sights sounds and scenes and quit worrying about what some other guy is doing.

I don't have much longer to live and I have already wasted far too much of my life worrying about things over which I had no control and most of which never happened.

30-Jun-15
Well stated John. A lot of wisdom and insight.

We spend way too much time fussing over senseless BS rather than have fun in the outdoors. We spend more time in argument rather than being in awe of God's great creation. An in the interim is life -and we miss it.

30-Jun-15
Three of us went to Wyoming last year to hunt antelope. Three of us killed antelope. One of my friends used a borrowed crossbow. It was his first time to kill one with anything except a rifle. It was his third antelope to kill. We all had a good time and brought home some delicous meat for our families. The antelope were oblivious to the method of death. What could be more simple ?

Good post John !

30-Jun-15
Best I have ever heard it put. God Bless

30-Jun-15
Pretty good thinkin' for someone who's been thrown and landed on his head more times than he can count! ;-)

30-Jun-15
bowriter, some good insight there

gonna add this thread to favorites

30-Jun-15
"I don't have much longer to live" - well I hope long enough to keep putting out these gems, for enough years to make "much longer" a "long time"...

30-Jun-15
Well said,Jack... Keep on keepin' on John.

01-Jul-15
You have completely ignored the risk that mechanical broadheads present to bowhunting. If they ever become commonplace, they will represent a bigger risk to bowhunting than compounds, overdraws, and mechanical releases combined.

01-Jul-15
crap.

I was told I'd never make it out alive... but I still don't believe i.. ack!......

01-Jul-15
Well said. Life's too short to worry all the time anyway.

01-Jul-15
"Don't be afraid"!! Where have I heard that????

01-Jul-15
Well done and very true! Thank you for posting this!

Mark

01-Jul-15
I think there were more deer 30 years ago. Seriously, in the mid-80's in the UP of MI, you had to be real careful driving. The year I started deer hunting, I saw 63 deer on opening day east of Muskegon, MI. That was 1977 or 78 with a borrowed 30.06. Never come close to seeing that many deer since.

Your other comments may be true although I'm not real thrilled with much of it. Just being honest.

01-Jul-15
This about mechanicals:

When they first hit the market, they were absolutely terrible. Most of the ones in production today, used on animals whitetail-size and smaller, I believe to be every bit as effective as fixed blades. I cannot comment on their performance on larger game because have not tried them on anything but deer. I have been shooting them for five years. Great accuracy, great blood trails, no wounding loss yet and almost all complete pass throughs. I shoot heads with a cut-on-contact, Trocar or chisel point.

I would assume, as it is with any product, there are some out there that do not perform well. I assume one must be selective in what he uses, just as it is with any fixed position head.

How they are going to ruin bowhunting, I cannot fathom since they are far more effective than a dull fixed position head and I suspect there are more of them in use than mechanicals.

So, Matt, please elucidate unless you were being sarcastic.

01-Jul-15
Pretty sure Matt was being sarcastic!

01-Jul-15
Fear can be crippling yet many of those fears never happen! Get out and hunt whichever way you prefer!

01-Jul-15
Yeah, that 'don't sweat the small stuff' would make a great tattoo for many foreheads

01-Jul-15
Very well put John. I have only been archery hunting for about 8 years, so I don't have your historical perspective. I agree that we spend far too much time nit-picking our differences instead of celebrating nature and the hunt. Well said, and maybe our paths will cross someday here in Tennessee.

Doug

01-Jul-15
I'm pretty sure Matt was being sarcastic too.

01-Jul-15
Matt, sarcastic???..... say it ain't so..... heheheh.....

Beendare, lots of folks need forehead tattoos of that sort.... but applied in a mirror image or they won't get it....

02-Jul-15
Well, bowriter, I sure hope you are right but common sense would say otherwise. Yes, there are other concerns that we should band together on in regards to conservation.

02-Jul-15
Also, I think it's good that debate is high concerning this...I would be worried if there was not a healthy debate.

02-Jul-15
Short, sweet, to the point and correct! Thanks!

02-Jul-15
I could not agree more.

• Sitka Gear