JJ 01-Jul-15
Gerald Martin 01-Jul-15
overbo 01-Jul-15
Rayzor 05-Jul-15
Shortdraw 05-Jul-15
JayD 06-Jul-15
Rayzor 07-Jul-15
01-Jul-15
I want to go black bear hunting in Va but don't know where to start, are there guides that anyone knows ?

01-Jul-15
Rockingham, Augusta, and Highland counties are all consistent producers. Pick a spot that suits your fancy near the Va/West Va line and start hunting. Key in on the food sources. In most cases it will be mast with white oak acorns being preferred. Good luck!

01-Jul-15
Northern Fauquier cnty, Markham, Hume,Paris and Orleans area, have a very strong bear population. I personally have had as many has 8 bears pass bye me in one morning's sit. I killed a huge boar a few years back that scores over 21''. Don't know of any guides in this area but would think w/ a little work and talking to some cornfield owners, you could get access.

05-Jul-15
You'll need to buy a seperate tag this year. no bear tag on the big game license any more. $20 for residents. I havent heard on Non residents.

05-Jul-15
Do you have an area or a couple in mind and maybe we can help you a bit more?

06-Jul-15
Rayzor - I was just on the dnr site looking at license fees and it looks like it is still included. Where did you see this?

07-Jul-15
Nope. You must be looking at last year. Law just passed. New info supposed to be out July 15. $20 seperate tag this year.

Lots of Bears in VA. One farm in Botetourt Co. was reported to have killed 14 in a short period with crop damage permits.

Allegheny, Craig, Bedford are the ones in the mountains where I've seen the most. Prince Edward has been a good county the last few years. Quite a few out east too.

Outfitters I know are mainly deer and turkey. Bears are mostly by chance unless you get with a bear clubs that runs dogs. No baiting here. The mountains aren't as high as out west but they're still rugged.

• Sitka Gear