brettpsu 01-Jul-15
TD 01-Jul-15
HUNT MAN 01-Jul-15
mixed bag 01-Jul-15
IdyllwildArcher 01-Jul-15
JTreeman 01-Jul-15
weekender21 02-Jul-15
01-Jul-15
Just like all the mainland whitetail hunters look forward to November, I've really been looking forward to the summer Axis deer rut over the past few seasons. While it's extremely hard to pinpoint the exact dates for the Axis rut, rutting action can usually be found May-July.

I brought the entire family with me on my hunt in May. I didn't hunt all day like I would by myself but the rut activity was excellent and I was able to take 2 deer and still enjoy beach time with the family.

01-Jul-15

weekender21's embedded Photo
The Axis rut reminds me more of elk hunting than deer hunting. The big bucks tend to have a harem vs. a single doe or two. They also travel greater distances between bedding and night-time feeding and rutting areas.

On the third morning of the hunt I was in a familiar area hoping to catch the deer as they made their way up to thick bedding cover. The bucks were screaming and although I planned on hunting a trail intersection from the ground, it didn't take long for me to change plans when a buck sounded off about 100 yards away.

He had already made it past me and I didn't think I had much of a chance at turning him around but I decided to rattle and break a few branches just in case. He screamed again from the same spot a few minutes later. I ditched my pack and headed his direction with my bow and antlers.

I got to about 75 yards from him and set-up on the edge of a small clearing. I was on my knees and used tall grass to break up my outline. I got set and rattled. Silence for about 15 minutes and then he roared, this time he was only 40-50 yards away! I quickly rattled again, broke a few branches, and clipped my release to the string.

About five minutes later I could see legs moving through the brush and came to full draw. The buck stopped perfectly broadside at 20 yards! The arrow was on the way and the buck fell in sight!

01-Jul-15

This scared up old warrior buck is my biggest to date!

01-Jul-15

A few days later I was in a familiar tree for an evening hunt. About 15 minutes before dark a nice buck stepped out and I shot him at 7 yards. The shot was at a very steep angle and after recovering my arrow, I decided to leave him until the next morning. I found the deer first thing within 80 yards of my stand and woke up my daughter for the recovery.

01-Jul-15
Sure was fun having the family with me!

01-Jul-15

The future hunters.

01-Jul-15

I headed over for a quick hunt in June. This nice buck gave me an 8 yard broadside shot on the first morning.

01-Jul-15
Looks like you had a great time!

01-Jul-15
You did good.

Cute family ya have there---

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

01-Jul-15
That some cool stuff!!!!!!!

01-Jul-15
Looks like a great family vacation. A hidden gem in the pacific.

01-Jul-15
Great hunts, even better looking passel of kiddos.

Your best hunts, with them, are yet to come, for sure.

Again, thanks.

01-Jul-15
Congrats.....a great family trip!

Mark

01-Jul-15
Good deal! Those suckers are on my bucket list for sure. Love the shots of you and your kids!

01-Jul-15
If they are as good tasting as they are good looking, you are in for a treat!!

01-Jul-15
Awesome as usual! Congrats!

01-Jul-15
Congrats!

01-Jul-15
which island are you hunting??

01-Jul-15
Those are some dandy bucks!

01-Jul-15
Nice Congrats!

01-Jul-15
NICE!! I love me some Axis! Congrats!

01-Jul-15
Good job Andrew! I'm going to take you up on the axis offer sometime. Man I can't wait to get back to the islands.

01-Jul-15
Congrats! They are screamin', great fun!

Our season.... in a slump... workin' hard for that 30"er... close, so close... planets just not aligning.... the doe you didn't see, wind has been the pits for stalking, excuses... got a quiver of em... =D

Dandy looking bucks! Great job.... you make it look easy... =D

01-Jul-15
Great photos . Looks and sounds. Like a fantastic hunt. Congrats. Hunt

01-Jul-15
I plan to make that trip in the next few years.What month would you suggest;May or June??Is there any calls the does make for calling them in or is rattling your best bet?I have a lot more research to do,but is there much public ground to hunt?I'm planning on Lanai as my destination

01-Jul-15
Very nice

01-Jul-15
Damn I want one of those critters!

Congrats, nice looking animals.

--jim

02-Jul-15
Thanks guys, Hawaii is a great place to live and hunt!

TD, I completely understand. That first buck I shot is 26 1/4". The 30"+ bucks are hard to kill!

The axis deer hunting in Hawaii is almost all on private land but there are DIY opportunities. The deer are hunted on Maui, Lanai', and Molokai'.

The rut is hard to predict out here but you'll likely have some sort of rut action May-July.

• Sitka Gear