willliamtell 06-Jul-15
cityhunter 06-Jul-15
SteveB 06-Jul-15
JayD 06-Jul-15
Zebrakiller 07-Jul-15
Franzen 07-Jul-15
Bill in MI 07-Jul-15
02-Jul-15
My son was going on vacation with us to lake superior wisconsin, but put in wrong week vacation at work and cant change it, So he told me he and his girlfriend are going to drive out and camp out west like Tetons, any suggestions on must sees for them Thanks.

02-Jul-15
Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Little Bighorn, Yellowstone, Cody, Jackson, the list goes on and on. You can't make a wrong turn out there!! And if possible, make sure to hit Dude's Steakhouse in Sidney!!

02-Jul-15
Assuming he's driving out from WI? Make sure he swings through Badlands National Park and Custer State Park then take the needles highway up to Mount Rushmore. The Black Hills of SD would make a great stopping point on the way out west for a day or two.

02-Jul-15
yes Brotsky I told him the same thats only like maybe 10 hours from home so would be great first stop, Thanks guys

02-Jul-15
My wife and I did that trip a few years ago. Like someone said above, even a wrong turn can't send you wrong out there. Lots to see and do.

We enjoyed Lander, Jackson, Deadwood, Custer state park, Badlands park, Yellowstone, Cody, Grand Tetons, etc.

I enjoyed the driving between places almost as much as anything. Cloud Peak Scenic highway through the Bighorns, and pretty much any other highway as well :)

I love that country out there

Bake

02-Jul-15
this site is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02-Jul-15
I came through Jackson Hole and the Tetons coming back from my elk hunt last year. It was a people zoo and expensive! Lots of people/traffic. I spent the night in Jackson for a small fortune.

I will say all the people and food were great! It just seems everywhere I've been in Wyo, the people are super nice.

The drive up through Dubois is beautiful!

02-Jul-15
If he comes thru Cheyenne, tell him to look me up....I'll show him around a little bit

02-Jul-15
Do you think he'd be willing to make a detour and do a little pre-scouting for the archery elk tag I'm going to draw in northern WY for me?

02-Jul-15
"I came through Jackson Hole and the Tetons coming back from my elk hunt last year. It was a people zoo and expensive! Lots of people/traffic. I spent the night in Jackson for a small fortune"

We did Jackson, Tetons, Yellowstone, Cody and Dubois last year toward the end of Sept. I thought it was dead and lodging was priced great. We stayed two nights in the Teton Village for $120 a night and in Gardner Montana for like $50 in a really nice suite. Every bar or restraint we ate at was about empty. One bartender told us the 1st of October they will lay off 50% of the staff until ski season kicks in.

Like others have said it is beautiful every direction you turn with lots of recreational things to do.

02-Jul-15
I have family that lives in Dubois and honestly there is enough to do around there that we never leave that area! To be honest I have never even been to Jackson which is crazy for as many times as we go out there!! Great place and the people are amazing!!

02-Jul-15
Assuming they'll be on I-90, as others have pointed out, both Mt. Rushmore and Devil's Tower are must-see! If they head west from there, they'll see incredible country going over the Bighorns, as well as the country around Cody. From there, I'd HIGHLY recommend going into Yellowstone. It's the most amazing place I've ever seen, especially Lower Yellowstone Falls. From there, they could drop down through the South Entrance into Jackson. The road goes alongside Jackson Lake and the Teton's.

There are several things in Jackson that are definitely worth experiencing, such as the Elk Antler Arch and the Alpine Slide, which is a total kick in the pants!

Other sights worth seeing are an easy drive from Jackson. The Jackson Hole Tram in Teton Village is a little pricey, like everything else in the area this time of year, but the view from the top is awesome! A drive over Teton Pass into Victor, Idaho, a drive to Moran Jct. and over Togwotee Pass into Dubois, and a drive down through Hoback Jct. to Alpine Jct., along the Snake River to Palisades Reservoir, are all worth the trip.

As others have said, there's not much that isn't worth seeing in NW Wyoming. Hope they have tons of fun!

02-Jul-15
The wife and I are doing the same trip in August. Wind Cave N.P. is a pretty awesome stop along the way as well. Brenda and I are lucky enough to be a part of BB's final Bowsite Pronghorn hunt, and will spend the first week seeing the sights along the route.

02-Jul-15
you people are great kind of jealous Im not going with him

03-Jul-15
I am in the tetons right now. Waiting on everyone to get up...tiring week...lol.

All have given good advice. Jackson is a mess...but fun for one afternoon. I love the tetons. This is my third trip here.

If you want crowds...go to yellowstone...only about 20 miles north. forgot how bad it was. I don't think most of those folks know the tetons exist though and it is relatively quiet in comparison.

However there are spots in yellowstone that we got away from the crowds too.

03-Jul-15
Rooster, if you are in to caves you must check out Jewel Cave in the Black Hills during your visit. It may be personal preference but I greatly prefer Jewel Cave to Wind Cave. Better yet, do both! Where else can you see two of the largest caves in the world so close together?

A few other fun things to do in the Black Hills for anyone interested:

1. Custer State Park, Needles Highway, Lake Sylvan and a hike to the top of Harney peak topped off with the lighting ceremony at Mount Rushmore, a great way to spend a day.

2. Ride the 1880 train in Hill City and grab dinner at the Alpine Inn. They only have one thing on the menu but it's worth it and you MUST have dessert.

3. Drive through Spearfish Canyon and spend a day in Deadwood, see the sites, do some gambling, enjoy a nice dinner. Lots to do and see around Deadwood.

4. Ride the Mickleson trail, I think they rent Mt Bikes in Hill city. If that's your thing it's a beautiful route.

You guys that are visiting out there have any questions please let me know and I'll gladly do what I can to help. Have a great trip!

03-Jul-15
Just outside of Jackson. North and east about 30+ miles is a cool place. Slide lake. Has a nice campground for $10 great views and good fishing in the river. Short drive into Jackson

03-Jul-15
I hope after he goies he will want to turn around and go after antelpoe next month

06-Jul-15
Brotsky, I'm not really into caves, I just really liked the variety of wildlife we encountered in Wind Cave. There were Bison, elk both mulies and whitetail as well as pronghorns. It was like a Garden of Eden!

06-Jul-15
Rooster, definitely some great wildlife viewing opportunities. Hopefully you took the drive through Custer State Park as well during your visit. Very similar to Wind Cave but a few more animals to see. They share a common north/south boundary.

06-Jul-15
Beartooth hiwy red lodge MT Cooke city Mt Cody Wy great places .

06-Jul-15
What's he into? Fishing? Some awesome rivers and lakes, although not being able to stand in the middle of a lot of stream sections (private property, don't you know) can be a pain. For Western art the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody is incredible. Hobo Hot Springs in Saratoga is also worth a soak if you're in the area. If he likes fossils, there are some great sites and interpretive centers. By all means get off the main highways down near the red desert to see the Serengeti of North America. Bring good binoculars and enjoy!

06-Jul-15
Cant go wrong with any of the above

06-Jul-15
Shoshone Wilderness area is just amazing....short drive from Yellowstone. No people. Doesn't hurt to stop for a burger or Pizza at the Cowboy bar in Meteetse. Highlight is museum in Cody...its a can't miss.

06-Jul-15
Just got back from this trip - we went to Oklahoma first for wife's family reunion and then went to Petrified Forest and Painted Desert, then to the Grand Canyon, to the Tetons, up to Yellowstone, then to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse and then down through the Badlands. We stayed in Jackson one night and the next night we stayed in a little cabin just before Cody. Prices were not bad unless you stayed within the parks. I sort of wish we took our bikes along - we did to some hiking so a good pair of shoes is a must.... oh one stretch of road I enjoyed the most I hope I am correct here it was Rt 14 through Wyoming - I thought it was absolutely beautiful!

07-Jul-15
Thanks everyone he has been reading all your post and has a great plan , Im sure he is going to really enjoy this trip,

07-Jul-15
JayD you are probably right, Rte. 14 or 14A take you over the Bighorns.

07-Jul-15
Thumbs up for the drive along 'Beartooth hiwy to red lodge MT Cooke city.'

• Sitka Gear