kellyharris 03-Jul-15
ToddT 03-Jul-15
Aaron Johnson 03-Jul-15
EmbryO-klahoma 03-Jul-15
TREESTANDWOLF 03-Jul-15
02-Jul-15

EmbryO-klahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryO-klahoma's embedded Photo
Give me your best educated guess as to how old this deer is....

I know he made it through the 2014 season because I got pics of him in January as well. This photo is late december and it shows his body more than other photos. Granted, I do realize he could have died between January and now. SE Oklahoma deer.

02-Jul-15
3-1/2 and now 4-1/2 for 2015 season.(I think) Not real heavy 'in the horn' nor body, but he is getting a good start!

03-Jul-15
The only question for me is he run down enuff and living in SE OK long enough to actually be 4 1/2?

My answer is with Herm's he's 3 1/2

03-Jul-15
I'm with headhunter 3.5 in pic

03-Jul-15
anywhere between 3.5 and 8.5.... Hope that narrows it down for you... Impossible to guess beyond that...

03-Jul-15
What Jack said.

03-Jul-15
I'm with Herm and Genesis!

03-Jul-15
3 1/2 then a healthy bugger at that this year.

03-Jul-15
No more than 4.5

Sleek body, chest is not protruding out, no sag in the back, looks like a racehorse with great genetics. Great deer!

BTW, only an opinion :)

03-Jul-15
Thanks for your input fellas. I believe you guys are correct and think he was 3 1/2 in the photo too. Genesis, yea, they get pushed around a little. You must know about SE Oklahoma?

This buck will be very tempting as a 4.5 year old. Can't wait to see what he grows this season. Actually, I hope I don't see him this fall by one of my stands. I'd like to see him make it to 5.5.

03-Jul-15
Conformation can be a little tricky on good antlered bucks in marginal trophy areas (SE OK)

To judge this buck I actually used neck to nose relationship more than any other attribute.Marginal areas usually will have to give up some body mass to grow an above average (vs age class) rack (like this buck).

At 3 1/2 a good rack for age class buck will be a little light in body mass and even a little so at 4 1/2.

Frankly,when I scroll up and make the rack disappear and just judge his body he looks 2 1/2.However when you see his rack and realize his nutrional load he bore you realize he has to be older.His neck/nose doesn't allow me to bump him up to 4 1/2.

Just my homespun and windy thoughts on it.

03-Jul-15
Genesis... That sounds very logical and I like your thinking. When I first saw him in a pic from October he looked young.

A little background on the area.... They primarily feed on natural browse and of course load up on acorns (white oak, red and pin) in the fall. There are no crops in the area. I'm sure some of the neighbors feed corn, but we do not. Somewhat flat and bermuda and native grass fields with 50/50 mix of hardwoods and black jack. One major tributary as well.

03-Jul-15
No crops is not necessarily a big hit on body weights.I'd take a higher ph soiled area with ZERO crops than acidic soil with crops galore.

Do you have to add lime fairly often?I would think so.....but pockets do exist

03-Jul-15
We do nothing to the land except occasionally hay the fields. Lots of early clover as well. Don't know if it's native or something that started growing from the hay the guy that used to run cattle on it, put out. There's no cattle on it now and there hasn't been since 2008.

03-Jul-15
Rick,not to hijack the thread but what is PH of the soil in the area you hunt?

03-Jul-15
No worries, I like this discussion, Steve. That's a good question. I think I will get a sample and take it to get tested. Is there a way I can test it?

So, is a naturally high soil PH correlated with large antler growth?

03-Jul-15
Yes,your local farm service extension can send it to Okie State etc for testing.Probably less than 10 bucks to get it done.You seem to getting around good bucks so I was just curious ....high ph soils help with calcium/phosphorus uptake by plants thus animals contributing to antler growth.It of course doesn't guarantee great growth but low PH soils just about guarantee you won't have consistently great growth

03-Jul-15
I'm going to grab a sample next time down. I'm very interested now.

Here's something that is a little off topic.. When I was down shed hunting in early March, I noticed our river cane is all dying off. We're talking acres of large cane thickets. It's not in just one isolated area either. All of it is dying. It was and is a hideout for the pigs.

03-Jul-15
3.5 his shoulders don't look developed enough to be any oldetr.

03-Jul-15
Looking at the body, he looks like a 2 year old.

03-Jul-15
Rick,

To get a good result in your test, call the extension agent in the area and he will give you the probe and the sample bags w/ tags for your information. It's sounds simple but it's more than just a scoop of dirt to get accurate results. They will give you directions or I can.This is part of my Okie State - agriculture education paying off now.

03-Jul-15
Yea, give me a text Aaron... I'll do that.

03-Jul-15
Getting back to this, I really like Genesis's evaluation also.

• Sitka Gear