Blue Blood 04-Jul-15
TD 04-Jul-15
JTreeman 04-Jul-15
Brotsky 10-Jul-15
Franzen 10-Jul-15
Brotsky 10-Jul-15
Franzen 10-Jul-15
03-Jul-15
Has anyone had a chance to check out the new Kuiu teton gear? I am about ready to pull the trigger on a Sitka cloudburst jacket but I just got the email showing the new Kuiu gear. For the price of the Sitka jacket I can get both the Kuiu rain jacket and pants. I realize the Kuiu is lighter and more packable but will it have the same quality and durability as the Sitka jacket. Was hoping some of the gear hounds on Bowsite may have already gotten their hands on the new Kuiu teton line and could provide some insight. Sorry for another rain gear thread but thanks to anyone who is able to help. Mike

03-Jul-15
Mike, I have the rain gear set in the mail but haven't laid hands on it yet. I don't have high expectations, I bought it because it fits the bill for the type of rain gear I was looking for. Light, packable, good to ride out an unexpected afternoon shower or quick mountain cloudburst. I don't plan to hunt Alaska with it or spend hours in the rain in thick brush with it. I think for my purposes at this price point the rain gear was perfect. I also ordered a couple other pieces to check out. I'll give a better review next week when it arrives.

03-Jul-15
The new Teton rain gear is only 10,000mm/10,000g/m for breathability and water proofness. (not any more waterproof or breathable than my Sikta JETSTREAM softshell)

These numbers are "ok" for an "in the pack" rain gear and very similar to some of today's soft shells or Cabelas Space Rain.

For a comparison the Chugach is 20,000mm/40,000g/m and I would guess the Cloudburst is more similar to the Chugach. Also, the CHugach is 4 layer vs. 3 layer. There are a number of websites that explain these ratings but my main point is that the new Teton Rain gear is "rated" that same as many of today's softshells. Take that for what it is worth.

The Teton rain gear is gonna work for the guy that needs packable, emergency rain gear in his pack. If you are going to "live" in rain gear on a hunt, I would look for something different.

Comparing the Cloudburst to Teton is really apples to oranges. Really their similarities end with the fact they are both labeled "rain gear".

03-Jul-15
+1 Cory

I think it's important for people to understand what they are getting with the Teton line. If you are expecting Chugach quality at Wal-Mart prices you are going to be very disappointed in the Teton line.

However, if you want a decent, performance line of clothing for a decent price without having to hunt hgh and low for clearance sales and discounts then I think Teton will suit you just fine.

I think Jason Hairston said it well in their live event yesterday. Not everyone is going on a sheep hunt in Alaska or the NW Territories. The vast majority of us flat landers spend a week or two in the elk woods or chasing mule deer. This line-up offers a good set at a good price for that crowd. If you're going on a hard core Alaskan hunt or something else where extreme conditions will be encountered this stuff isn't for you, the regular line is.

03-Jul-15
Very good summary Brotsky. What is yet to be seen (I know what Jason says)...Is the Teton Line actually better than some of the Cabelas or Gander branded stuff? I know Jason claims it is, but time will tell.

For me, if I was looking for "pack" rainwear, I would just as soon pick up some Cabelas Space Rain for my pack on sale rather than spend the money on the 10000/10000 KUIU Teton line. But, it wouldn't be in that "cool kids" KUIU camo...:)

I like what Jason is doing with this line for the exact reasons you state. Problem is you know this line will be sold out before most even realize it is out there.

03-Jul-15
I just ordered the full Teton line (except a shirt or 2), I'm a bit of a junkie, couldn't help myself. I have the full line of kuiu already including the original chugach, chugach NX, and the Yukon line. As stated above I expect this Teton set to be more in line with my cabelas space rain, and would be happy to report back onece I receive it. Should be here next week I would expect.

--Jim

03-Jul-15
Great...Keep us posted Jim...Can't wait to hear the review!

04-Jul-15
Thanks for the info guys. Interested what people have to say when they get their orders.

04-Jul-15
Jim...I hope Jason sends you a Christmas card every year like yours comes in every year... =D

Kuiu is good stuff. Own several pieces, attack pants and the Yukon jacket, gaiters, etc. are great gear.

I know they have to keep changing out to stay on "the cutting edge" Not sure if this was a good move for them if the quality isn't there, not sure if they want to take on the "masses" in outdoor retail if it's generic gear.

Time will tell.

04-Jul-15
TD, he does kinda...

I agree, not sure going lower line is the best idea, that's why I bought some, we will see.

I kinda felt that if they want to expand, whitetail stuff would be the way to go. I'm sure the market for treestand guys is way bigger than the specialty mountain stuff. That said, i feel it's kinda a good thin sticking to what they are, a technical mountain hunting company. Just seems like a lot of $ on the whitetail side if they are really trying to expand into additional markets.

But nobody asked me ;)

--Jim

10-Jul-15
Received my order in the mail yesterday. I ordered the rain gear, zip T, and the soft shell jacket.

The rain gear is what I expected. Extremely light weight and packable. I have no illusions about durability, it's not going to be any good for busting brush and wearing all day in extreme conditions. It should be serviceable as a pack option for light showers, etc. definitely better options out there for the money. Noisy.

The zip T is a zip T. No bells or whistles, good value for $50.

The soft shell jacket is the real deal. I really like this piece, good stretch and extremely comfortable. You will be hard pressed to find a nicer hunting soft shell for $100. I wish they came in solids, I'd order another one today to wear around. Highly recommend this piece. Might be a little noisy out of the bag but I think after a wash or two it will be dead quiet.

Bottom line, some pieces are likely extremely good value and others are not. Base layers, pants, and jackets most likely excellent value. Rain gear not so much.

10-Jul-15
Walmart prices? I think that's a bit far Brotsky! :)

10-Jul-15
Franzen, it's kind of like Target, made for people who will gladly pay a little more so they don't have to visit Wal-mart. Ha!

10-Jul-15
Speaking of Walmart; when does their new line come out? I may need some new camo at some point and all this talk of Sitka and KUIU has me constantly checking my pockets for holes. LOL. Maybe Kota will help us out and fashion some for a "workin' man's review".

On a serious note, I had a buddy order some pieces from the Teton line and I hope they work out for him. Personally I'm not sure I understand the philosophy behind this introduction.

• Sitka Gear