TD 06-Jul-15
bdfrd24v 08-Jul-15
bdfrd24v 08-Jul-15
bdfrd24v 08-Jul-15
bdfrd24v 08-Jul-15
03-Jul-15

bdfrd24v's embedded Photo
I'll start with I am completely new to tuning a bow. I've always just had pretty good luck with BH hitting where I wanted them to. This season I wanted to get serious.

I'm seeing my BH are hitting about 3-4" low at 30yds. My arrow at rest looks like i'm shooting "downhill" and I figure moving the rest up a 1/16 or so and trying to get things to match would help. My past experience of adjusting a rest has caused more problems than good. I'm close now. I don't want to live with it, but then again I don't want to mess things up real bad either.

I'm shooting a bear attack @ 28" 62lb, 100gr G5 Striker, 75/95 GT @ 27.5" I believe.

I'd ask a friend or a shop locally, but the shops treat me like crap because I didn't buy a Mathews off of them, and I don't have any knowledable friends to get me started. Basically learned everything from Bowsite.

03-Jul-15

03-Jul-15

03-Jul-15
You can raise your rest some, no problem. It should be more in line with the rest mounting holes anyway. One thing though... does that rest have a vertical rest adjustment? If not, you may have to just lower the nocking point on the string. The Biscuit must remain paralell with thw bowstring.

03-Jul-15
I'm not sure on the vertical adjustment, but true lowering the nock would be the same result in leveling the arrow

03-Jul-15
Here's the tools I've found to be very valuable with basic setup on my bow. Center shot tool and string n arrow levels.

Bow press and homemade draw board are valuable tools as well.

03-Jul-15
Move your rest up. If it is a "problem" it is as simple as move it back where it was.

Also the arrow should go through the center (or at least close) to the berger button hole (the 2 holes the rest mounts to). By the pic it looks like the rest is too low now. Get the arrow in the correct spot on the riser then adjust D-loop to tune. Then you can move the rest to fine tune if needed. It is easier than moving the D-loop.

FWIW: I found the WB shoots best with the nock 1/8-3/16" high from level.

03-Jul-15
Your issue could also be a cam rotation issue. Pretty common with a single cam. Set your arrow back over the berger holes and then retard the bottom cam by putting a couple twists in the buss cable. if that starts moving them closer give it a few more till they meet.

03-Jul-15
What these guys said... On a diff note is it me or does the site/ring appear to be not flush with the bow and the top of it angled forward. Might just be the pic but looks a little off.

03-Jul-15

Russell 's embedded Photo
Russell 's embedded Photo
Forgot the pic.

03-Jul-15
Arrows are NOT over spined. There is no such thing as over spined with a modern bow and a release.

03-Jul-15
Rests with no vertical adjustment are a PITA. X2 with a single cam as you'll likely be adjusting it down the road as well. Could be set up from the store was correct and the string settled in after several shots... now it's off.

On a new string I'll get everything in the ballpark but won't tighten down to full torque. Put 30, 40, 50 arrows through it and THEN do your precision set up.

1/8" nock high has usually been good to me as well. Gives plenty of room for adjustment up and down.... if your rest adjusts that is.... I tie nocksets inside my d-loop, moving all that... I'd just go buy a rest that had vertical.

As said above, any tuning work should be preceded by going over the bow and making sure everything is in factory specs, timing, etc. first.

03-Jul-15
Yep your rest is to low. Like others have said move up till your ruffly in the center of your Berger Hole. You will bring your broadheads field point groups together. You can adjust a biscuit while maintaining the biscuit being plum.

Like X - man said its pretty hard to be overspined with a compound and a release. Besides shooting low is not a spine issue typically.

03-Jul-15
Tried to tune a noob once, years ago.... wound up getting slapped.....

04-Jul-15
I was able to do a little bit of playing here.

1) It was the basic biscuit and I'm going to change that out. I don't want to have to move the nock point every time I need to make an adjustment. Will get replaced this week

2) I was able to adjust the nock point down and the groups did close to about 1.5" low. So going in the right direction. Again not doing more until I replace the rest.

3) I must have been nuts on the arrow shaft length. They are 29.25 each. I do not feel that I am over spined but then again I wouldn't know how to know that for sure. These shoot much more consistently than the 55/75s I had been shooting.

04-Jul-15
Definately going in the right direction. Shafts are definately not too stiff.

04-Jul-15
You can't be overspined with a compound and a release. When you get your new rest redo your D Loop so you are close to center on your Berger Hole.

04-Jul-15
First off, congrats on taking the time to learn to do this on your own. The rewards and satisfaction of knowing how to do it yourself are priceless. You will get frustrated along the way, and sometimes a little intimidated. Just take your time and use your common sense. It really is not rocket science. Good luck, and listen to x-man. He will give you great advice.

06-Jul-15
Thanks for the advice so far.

I'll be looking at some rests tonight.

I've only really shot a biscuit and I like the capture for hunting and of course the no moving parts. Accuracy has not been an issue either (other than I need a rest thats adjustable now)

Should I look at going drop away? I see many offer full capture, but of course that is a moving part that could fail. ( I won't shoot mechanical BH for this very reason)

I want to be 100% confident in myself and my equipment when I draw and arrow on an animal.

06-Jul-15
Biscuit is a good rest, no reason to change it if you're happy with it. Drop aways are a touch more forgiving, maybe a touch more accurate (debatable at normal hunting yardage). But more complicated for sure. I shot one for years, only reason I changed is every now and then it would squeak like a violin on the draw. Probably me, I was shooting fingers with it and maybe put a little extra pressure on it from time to time.

But the elevation adjustment is a necessity IMO.

08-Jul-15
So I settled on the biscuit again but with adjustment. I just liked the simplicity.

I can't believe the difference it has made to have the arrow actually coming off the bow properly. 1 evening and about an hour and I've done more to improve than I did in the previous 2 months.

As recommended I started with the arrow covering the berger holes and worked from there. A few minor adjustments and I'm almost set. I think in the next week or so I'll have it as good as I'm going to get.

08-Jul-15

This is where I am at now

08-Jul-15

A bit more consistant and pulling the BH to almost match FP

08-Jul-15

And most importantly Mason and I doing a some work with the lil sioux