wildwilderness 21-Jul-15
bad karma 21-Jul-15
midwest 21-Jul-15
southpaw 21-Jul-15
elkstabber 22-Jul-15
midwest 22-Jul-15
elkstabber 23-Jul-15
21-Jul-15
I had been looking for an antelope unit that mostly public and had a low hunter density.

after researching I decided to apply for WY unit 69. I had previously hunted unit 25 several times and had killed antelope but I hated the amount of hunters on the limited public land.

What I missed is that inside of part of 69 is a large HMA (hunter management area) the rattlesnake mountain HMA.

the kicker is the Rattlesnake mountain HMA doesn't allow archery hunting. which cuts off a large section of the unit to me as a bowhunter.

my question to all of you WY folks is can I hunt the BLM and state land with archery equipment prior to the sept. 15th start date to the HMA hunt?

Also does anyone have any experience hunting in 69?

21-Jul-15
Years ago a friend and I hunted 69 for antelope. We hunted private land for a small trespass fee. I'm sure it's more now. Lots of really nice antelope when we hunted it. We both got 15+ inch goats first day.

21-Jul-15
Yep, BLM and State lands are open to archery antelope hunting.

21-Jul-15
There are thousands of acres of public land and walk in areas in that unit.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/uploads/huntingwalk/natrona/Natrona.pdf

21-Jul-15
You would be surprised how many LO will let you hunt antelope for free. They see them more as a nuisance, not like deer or elk.

If you see a nice buck or herd on private its worth knocking on the door to find out.

Also if you do pay a trespass, its usually minimal for the inconvenience.

21-Jul-15
Wyoming is like going back to a friendlier time. Once the landowners know you'll treat them and their property with respect, you'll be amazed at how kind they are.

It is a great state with even better people. I hunt there every year, and love every minute of it.

21-Jul-15
Thanks for the replies.

Bad Karma- I would agree with you. Some of the nicest people I have met have been in WY.

21-Jul-15
Ditto on the Wyoming residents. Some really great people!

21-Jul-15
I disagree I'm pretty sure you picked a good unit tell us how it goes when you get back!!!

22-Jul-15
Anyone - why would a Wyoming hunter management area not allow bowhunting? I'm sorry if it's been discussed but I honestly don't understand. Thanks.

22-Jul-15
The landowner can set certain rules on the HMA.

A few ranches I inquired about for trespass fee hunting several years ago would not allow bowhunting for whatever reason, either.

23-Jul-15
Thanks midwest. Okay, so the HMA isn't state owned. Because it's privately owned the landowner makes the decision. Got it. Don't like it but I got it.

• Sitka Gear