HUNT MAN 26-Jul-15
primitve 11-Aug-15
NvaGvUp 12-Aug-15
Mountain.Blade 13-Aug-15
Kurt 13-Aug-15
Elkguide27 13-Aug-15
Mountain.Blade 13-Aug-15
23-Jul-15
So I have a Cali-Bighorn hunt scheduled in September (hopefully the drought doesn't stop it) I'm not at my weight goal +20 lbs. my Cardio is good, hard to tell running in this jungle heat. Strength is above goals and shooting is right there. How's everyone else doing?

23-Jul-15

Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Oh I shot a 7" "group" at 50-70 yards today, made me very happy!!!

23-Jul-15
Leaving for a Stone hunt Sunday. Re-tore my miniscus July 1, so I too am +20 where I want to be. Training since July 1 has been TOUGH. Pre July 1, things were going fantastic. Got a cortisone shot Tuesday and am as good as I'm gonna be by Sunday. Will do some hill workouts today, Fri, Sat, and Sun with weight and that will have to be good enough!

My Cali hunt with John is scheduled for '17. Good Luck Tim...Can't wait to hear the report.

23-Jul-15
"I lift things up and put them down". Walk up and down hills then swim in the ocean.

Good to go but no sheep to hunt:) I'll have to settle for Mule Deer and Elk in Colorado. Good Luck to all! C

23-Jul-15
I also have a CA BHS hunt this year - in the Okanagan. That will finish my FNAWS.

Nevada archery antelope opens a week from Saturday and I have a tag. That should be a nice warm up for the sheep hunt.

23-Jul-15
Tim,

Who are you hunting with?

23-Jul-15
Kyle...We are both hunting Cali's in BC with John Sievers/Fraser River Outfitters. (Mine is in 2017)

23-Jul-15
Get em gents!! Dang kota... just your luck. Hang tuff

23-Jul-15
I'm gettin' there, BPM! 34 days and counting til I leave to hunt Rocky's in Colorado. I still can't believe it. You may need to come over to BR to whip my a$$ in shape!

23-Jul-15
Getting there. Wyoming bighorn in 23 days!

23-Jul-15
Corey! Dang man.......sorry to hear about the bad wheel again! Best of luck to you!!!

Best of luck to everyone chasing them critters this year!

23-Jul-15
August 1st I really buckle down and get my 100 day crash course workout on for Canmore.

23-Jul-15
My toes still numb due to Canmore. ugh

23-Jul-15
This triple digit Texas heat and sea level air will have me ready to tackle those conditions.

23-Jul-15
NVA,

yes Kory and I are hunting with John, great area!

bowkill,

Hollier at me if you want to get together one weekend, we can train, shoot and drink! I'll tell you all I know about sheep hunting, that will take 5 min!!

KTH,

You ain't lying it's HOT!!!!

23-Jul-15
Would still like to shed a few more lbs. Legs are good to go. Depart 8/09 for BC Stone's.

Best of luck for all to arrow the ram of your dreams.

23-Jul-15
As far as my conditioning, I'm ready to go. But because I never allow myself to get out of shape, I'm pretty much always ready to go. I mean, I teach "Sheep Shape" at The Sheep Show and advocate, "Never Give Away Your Base," so it would be pretty crummy of me not to practice what I preach

By the end on this month, I'll have over 1,000 miles of hiking in, including running maybe 200 of those miles, since the first of the year. The majority of that has been on trails and because it's at an elevation of 5,000' - 6,000,' altitude is not a problem.

23-Jul-15

NVA

I'm more in Gladiator shape, heavy lifting, boxing and rolling won't help any on the mountain!! Well maybe mentally! Hard to pass up my own FOOD, I practice what I preach too. eat more and eat often!!

23-Jul-15
Tim,

Dang, that looks GOOD!

I'll take two!

Do you deliver to Reno?

23-Jul-15
"because I never allow myself to get out of shape"

Kyle , anyone can do it under those circumstances. I prefer to let myself go, and then work my ass off trying to get in some kind of sheep shape. Down to one week until Kamchatka snow sheep. Personally I am going with the "attitude is everything" plan this trip!

Ps, Pizza looks GREAT Tim!

23-Jul-15
Whoever thought of putting shrimp on a pizza is a GENIUS!!!! Throw some bacon on there too and I'll drive down from Missouri! :)

Good luck everyone on your sheep hunts!

23-Jul-15
Jim that sounds like an incredible hunt!

Good luck to everyone!

23-Jul-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Jim,

Per the final slide in my "Sheep Shape" seminars. ;^)

23-Jul-15
This is great. Lots of sheep hunts to read about in the next few months!

No sheep hunt for me but I'll be humping the mountains of Kodiak for blacktails out of Blacktail Bob's cabin in October. Down 25 pounds from where I was last year and in the best shape of my life. Plan to stay this way until my next sheep hunt..

23-Jul-15
I joined a gym and said I need to get fit for 4-6 months, then I can get fat again.

23-Jul-15
No sheep but CO elk in 5 weeks; torn meniscous surgery 7 weeks ago doing great...broke 3rd rib down on draw side 2 weeks ago can't pull bow a little worried but I think it will be fine. JohnB

23-Jul-15
Nick, I am looking forward to it. We fly from anchorage. It is only a 4 hour flight!

Kyle, yeah, yeah I know!

23-Jul-15
Jim,

Seriously,

There are at least two good reasons to stay in shape, or, as I refer to it in the seminar,

1. "Never, ever give away your base, Not ever!"

2. If you don't maintain a solid base, there's no way you can reach your potential by just ramping up in the two-three months before the hunt. You might gain enough so you aren't dying on those climbs and during those long, physical days, but two-three months is not nearly enough to even get to a good, solid base level, let alone reach peak performance.

OTOH, if you go into those last two-three months from a solid base, you can hit a max performance level, which will make your hunts more enjoyable and increase your opportunity for success. It will also ensure your fitness level and your health remains good until the NEXT season.

24-Jul-15
I'll be packing in next Friday for BC Stones. Week long hunt to tune up, then a week off, followed by another two week back pack hunt till the end of August. Hope the old knees hold up! I've shed 20#s since I semi-retired last year. Certainly helps the legs. I've even thought about a third trip in Sept depending on whether I still have a tag and the potential weather/snow conditions! Glad I have a sheep mountain in the backyard to go practice on.

Good luck to everyone on their hunts!

24-Jul-15

24-Jul-15
Im not sheep hunting this year, but i will have a goat tag on my moose hunt. I have been busting my butt this month.. I have run 25 miles so far in the month of July.. I know thats not a lot for most people but its a good start for me.. I am shooting for 50 miles in Aug.. Ive also been lifting and going to start doing long weighted pack trips tomorrow

24-Jul-15

Quick Draw 1's embedded Photo
Quick Draw 1's embedded Photo
Will be hunting Dall's in NWT one week from today. So far been right on track with my "Sheep Shape" work-out schedule I put together. Will be second sheep hunt in 5 months, so been able to keep a fairly consistent program. Last two months has definitely been more intense, though, especially on the weighted backpack workouts. (Even manage to get the wife involved.) My workout goals for the hunt are simple: 1- I can't promise I'll be the first to the top, but I can promise I'll be to the top. And 2 - I may not kill a sheep, but it won't be because I was too fat and out of shape to get where the sheep are. Once I meet those goals, then it's just sit back and enjoy an amazing experience in an amazing place.

24-Jul-15
Mine's coming along real nicely: http://hardrock100.com/files/2015hardrock100finishers.pdf

24-Jul-15
Moose shape this year!!

Weekly workout!

5 days a week 1 hour every morning in the gym. Mix of upper and lower body workouts each day with every Wednesday as being a pack work out day..Box steps,pull ups and push ups with 35# pack 13 miles 5 days a week mountain biking

3.5 mile uphill pack hike with 55# 2 times a week

I went from 176# to 198# building lots of muscle and some great cardio. Hopefully it all pays off this September and get I to pack a moose out!!

24-Jul-15
My goat shape is going well. Running long trails, hiking 14ers, stairclimber, and beer. REPEAT!

24-Jul-15
KD- You are an official Hardrocker!

Sheep will study your training log to get pointers!

24-Jul-15

I'm going to be off Bowsite for a couple days, tragedy has hit close to home. I'm ok but my Community is suffering.

24-Jul-15
Tim, I was thinking of you last night when this broke. Thoughts are with you and your community

24-Jul-15
Best of luck Kurt!!!

24-Jul-15
Thought of you last night as well Tim. Hope all is well with you and those close to you.

24-Jul-15
I am in "fall bear right before hibernating" shape

24-Jul-15
Tim,

Our thoughts are with you and your community.

Kyle

25-Jul-15
Tim, Our thoughts and prayers continue for you and your community.

Mark

26-Jul-15
Headed to BC in 35 days for archery goat. Have bad knees from pro ball, but got the Synvsk shots which helped some. Been doing the stair climber and weights since June almost every day and as many 3-4 mile hikes with 35 pound back as I can. Feeling pretty good. My concern is coming down, that hurts the worse. Will get cortisone before I leave.

26-Jul-15
If practical, trekking poles will help with downhilling.

26-Jul-15
X2 on Trekking Poles!

26-Jul-15
With 6 days until my hunt starts My sheep shape is as good as it's going to get. I have been up into my area which is 4 miles and about 4k elevation gain 4 times in the last month on scouting trips, the last two with my full pack of @40# so I'm doing OK but wish I'd done more to get ready. I'm planning to do three four-day hunts throughout the season, I just hope I'm not too burned out to hunt effectively after the climb up. I'm sure sighting a good ram will help with that part though :).

26-Jul-15
Best of luck guys. Hunt

11-Aug-15
NvaGvUp...you hunting Cali's with Hubbard?

12-Aug-15
No

13-Aug-15
Fly out tomrow for a Stone sheep hunt in BC.

13-Aug-15
Spencer, good luck, who are going with? Kurt

13-Aug-15
About a month left before the big hunt now. So I switched gears now and go for lighter weight and lots of reps especially when doing legs. I also now take my pack with 40#-50# in it to the gym at least 3 days outta 5. Get some weird looks but screw em! Most don't realize how hard of work some of these hunts can truly be. Good luck to everyone be safe and injury free!!

13-Aug-15
Cant say :)

• Sitka Gear